Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on E+ Squatting on long haul fights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Freebird:22730944
Originally Posted by jag932
My question would have been: "Is that your assigned seat?" If no, then I would have said,
"You need to work that out with the flight attendant."
Best answer and not confrontational.

Why would anyone want a middle seat?
On 772s, the lavatories with baby changing stations are in the back. When walking through E- on a recent long haul, I thought to myself : How do people do this on 10+hour flights?! In fact, I specifically remember thinking that there was absolutely no leg room. So, I'd take middle E+ any day.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I don't understand why people post on situations where they clearly had complete control of the outcome, yet they give up in light of the situation and then complaint because they are suffering the consequences. You gave the seat, plain and simple. You chose to do so, accept it. There is nothing wrong in asking for BP. People pay for E+, either cash outright ticket purchase or by status, it diminished the value if anyone can take them for nothing.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by arollins
I don't understand why people post on situations where they clearly had complete control of the outcome, yet they give up in light of the situation and then complaint because they are suffering the consequences. You gave the seat, plain and simple. You chose to do so, accept it. There is nothing wrong in asking for BP. People pay for E+, either cash outright ticket purchase or by status, it diminished the value if anyone can take them for nothing.
It was inevitable I suppose that we would eventually get a caustic "blame the OP" post. Which is totally and completely out of line. OP did not complain at all, but raised an interesting question which has led to some spirited discussion.

There's one (or more) in every crowd.

btw, here's what OP actually said (bold mine):

Originally Posted by scracer14

To me its not so much of a big deal. Its nice to have the open middle on a 9 hour flight, but nothing worth a confrontation to me I guess. It seems sometimes half these seats are open on takeoff, and if everyone got in the habit of "squatting" them, it could become a mad dash when the seat belt sign turns off. Or even as simple as keeping an eye on the mobile app and taking one before takeoff.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by arollins
Erm, because it is a forum and was interested in what others might do? As evidenced by "Thoughts on E+ Squatting on long haul fights?". Now, wind your neck in, and see if you can help someone get you off that horse.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
"It was inevitable I suppose that we would eventually get a caustic "blame the OP" post. Which is totally and completely out of line. OP did not complain at all, but raised an interesting question which has led to some spirited discussion."

Thank you!! If this happens to one of us now, we're more likely to respond in a considered fashion and not have regrets later. Thanks to the OP for bringing it up.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
While I love to have an empty seat next to me, I have no rights to that seat any more than the person moving to it. I've paid for one E+ seat, and what United does with the one next to it isn't my choice, no matter what the seatmap shows. If United chooses to not enforce their policies requiring people to stay in their assigned cabin or seat, I don't think I'm going to do it for them (as much as I wouldn't want the person there). That said, if the seat is supposed to be open, the armrest is all mine, regardless of who squats.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by z28lt1
While I love to have an empty seat next to me, I have no rights to that seat any more than the person moving to it. I've paid for one E+ seat, and what United does with the one next to it isn't my choice, no matter what the seatmap shows. If United chooses to not enforce their policies requiring people to stay in their assigned cabin or seat, I don't think I'm going to do it for them (as much as I wouldn't want the person there). That said, if the seat is supposed to be open, the armrest is all mine, regardless of who squats.
Some people would consider not saying anything about the person moving into the seat next to you but then your grabbing the entire armrest throughout the flight to be a passive aggressive move. In fact, some would say that airplane etiquette says that the person in the middle gets the armrests that are between the seats.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I once had this happen except it was e+ to e+. A family of 4 boarded last. Mom dad and 17ish year old son took the 3 seats in front of me and 20ish year old daughter took the aisle while I had the window. Mom saw that sis and I had an open middle and told son to sit there so they could have more room. I asked to see son's boarding pass and then directed him to the seat between mom and dad.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some people would consider not saying anything about the person moving into the seat next to you but then your grabbing the entire armrest throughout the flight to be a passive aggressive move. In fact, some would say that airplane etiquette says that the person in the middle gets the armrests that are between the seats.
Some would indeed

It is my personal view that the person in the middle does get both armrests. I'm really not interested in rubbing elbows, and between the two, it's easier for the person in the window/aisle to shift a little to the other side.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me - "PA moves" represent a significant portion of "behavior" I witness on flights today. I remember once my seatmates displeasure at my glass positioning on the armrest between my seats - I don't know why but I could tell he was genuinely annoyed - but didn't say anything...

I let it go for a while but then decided to pull out the extra drink holder and put my drink there - I could see the tension drain from his body LOL. People really get wound up about things now - and I think that the general stress level on planes has gone way up in the past few years - it almost feels like people are just about ready to blow nearly all the time these days and about some really strange things - like someone looking out their window (interesting thread not taking a shot at the OP on that as it seems it was quite over the top)...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I am of the fashion to speak up for myself. If I happen to have an open seat next to me I consider it valuable real estate. Thus I feel inclined to question someone whom is not in the boarding process if it is their seat or not. Never had an isssue before. Once on a flight from EZE to IAD, I had the whole middle row to myself (all 3 seats) A Husband (and wife) whom had the 2 seats next to the window decided that the husband should have the middle aisle seat for himself. I questioned him if this was his seat. He ignored me. I simply asked the FA to question the man (she did and asked him to take his own assigned seat) I slept well that evening (in all 3 seats) Safe Travels..
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I remember once my seatmates displeasure at my glass positioning on the armrest between my seats - I don't know why but I could tell he was genuinely annoyed - but didn't say anything...

I let it go for a while but then decided to pull out the extra drink holder and put my drink there - I could see the tension drain from his body LOL. People really get wound up about things now - and I think that the general stress level on planes has gone way up in the past few years - it almost feels like people are just about ready to blow nearly all the time these days and about some really strange things
I never paid much mind to someone elses drink (either on F armrest or Y seatmates tray table)...until I had the displeasure of having one spilled on me. Now I am consciously aware and will position my arm to block a potential spill from occurring in my direction again, especailly when dressed for business. Ridiculous, I know but - fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Originally Posted by Kacee
Some would indeed

It is my personal view that the person in the middle does get both armrests. I'm really not interested in rubbing elbows, and between the two, it's easier for the person in the window/aisle to shift a little to the other side.

The whole armrest positioning thing - has there been a thread dedicated to this in the past? I try to be aware about leaving room for my seatmates arm or elbow, but I imagine that sometimes I may forget and inadvertently take too much of the shared real estate. Once I thought I was being conscientious but the passenger next to me thought I was armrest hoarding and proceeded to addres me in a brash manner about my current use and his desired use of that shared real estate. It took everything I could muster to remain calm and ignore him the rest of the flight... when all he had to do was ask nicely - as I really was trying to share.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

To me - "PA moves" represent a significant portion of "behavior" I witness on flights today. I remember once my seatmates displeasure at my glass positioning on the armrest between my seats - I don't know why but I could tell he was genuinely annoyed - but didn't say anything...
Could it have been, oh, I don't know, a worry that you would spill your drink on him?

A little introspection is sometimes helpful.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Could it have been, oh, I don't know, a worry that you would spill your drink on him?

A little introspection is sometimes helpful.
Yes of course - which is why I moved it. My point was about the PA nature of things - if you can't muster up the courage to say something why get so upset? No one seems to want to say anything (being "polite", don't want to make a scene, whatever) - but it brings so many people right up to the brink it seems these days... Wouldn't it be easier to just say something?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wouldn't it be easier to just say something?
That depends on who you are and the culture in which you live and were raised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.