Wiki Posts
Search

Opinion Miles Club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Opinion Miles Club

Just received an email from United wanting to me to sign up and offering 600 miles for completing one survey. When I tried to sign up I noticed you had to accept a bunch of tracking cookies with targeted ads.

No thanks for me; what do you all think?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:43 pm

if you don't mind doing surveys, it's an option for obtaining miles. Since I joined, I've accumulated over 10,000 miles through them. The miles get credited to your account fairly quickly as well.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
got the same email. I x'ed out when it wanted me to accept all sorts of cookies and stuff.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Ive got a lot of miles from them, though it seems increasingly difficult to qualify for some of the surveys.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I signed up when they first sent an email, I was out of work and not traveling, with alot of time on my hands. So far have gotten 23,000 miles, so it has worked out good for me. I am not sure what ads you are talking about, but they have not bothered me so far. Your choice.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I said I owned a business when I signed up last year and since then have been "unqualified" to take the vast majority of surveys. So you might want to sign up as an individual, if you choose to sign up. About the cookies, who cares, I'd rather see ads for products targeted to me than random garbage.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
I got the email today and saw this thread, so I gave it a try. I earned 600 miles for an excruciatingly long and redundant survey, then it told me my next survey would earn me 70 miles and that the estimated time of completion was 38 minutes. NO THANKS.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I do these all the time, but I only do ones that are under 15 minutes. The long ones are too excruciating. If it offers you one where the miles vs the time sucks, just start and hit back. It'll offer you a different one.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by horse glasses
I do these all the time, but I only do ones that are under 15 minutes. The long ones are too excruciating. If it offers you one where the miles vs the time sucks, just start and hit back. It'll offer you a different one.
true, I tend to skip to longer surveys unless the reward is like 300 miles.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do Opinion Miles Club miles prevent UA miles from expiring if the FF account is otherwise inactive? If so, doing a few of these could be good.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do Opinion Miles Club miles prevent UA miles from expiring if the FF account is otherwise inactive? If so, doing a few of these could be good.
yes (in general any account activity prevents if from being inactive)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I just joined today, thinking that it would at least be an easy way to score 600 UA miles.

Wrong.

It took me through several lengthy sets of questions to build a profile. No miles for doing any of that.

Then, I started doing an actual survey, with the promise of 600 miles. After a lengthy amount of time filling it out, it said something along the lines of "this is the wrong survey for you." NO miles for that one either, of course.

So, I tried ANOTHER survey. Answered a bunch of questions, got "We appreciate your participation, but we already have enough responses for this project." No miles.

OK, tried one more time. Filled out some pre-survey questions (as they turned out to be). Got a survey that was billed as 1 minute -- took me a couple of minutes. Actually got the 600 miles! In fact, it posted to my UA account right away! So, there's a positive.

Overall, not as quick and easy as I initially expected, but the instant posting to UA is appreciated. (Yeah, I do participate in other online surveys, such as on MyPoints, erewards, Surveyspree, and often get disqualified after answering a number of questions. I should have known this would be the same.)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: UA, AA peon
Originally Posted by FC ORD
accept a bunch of tracking cookies with targeted ads.
There are ads on the internet? Other than the annoying flash on the United website, I don't recall seeing any since I installed ....... 10 years ago...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You could always delete the cookies after completing the survey. So that seems like not a very important factor. A better question is, how much of your time do you want to give them for the equivalent of 10 bucks or so?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
You could always delete the cookies after completing the survey. So that seems like not a very important factor. A better question is, how much of your time do you want to give them for the equivalent of 10 bucks or so?
Exactly. Hence my disappointment at how much of my time it took to get the 600 mi. But from previous experience with survey websites, I should've known.

Luckily, I have a lot of free time these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.