Wiki Posts
Search

Bogus United fare sales

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Bogus United fare sales

Am I the only one getting fed up with the bogus fare sales advertised by United? Yesterday I got an e-mail from United advertising their "Explore America's Great Outdoors" fare sale which included an advertised price of IAH-BOS of $126 each way. I immediately clicked the "book now" button and the lowest price available? $580 RT. None of the other fares worked as advertised either. I re-read the sale rules and ensured I was entering appropriate dates. The same thing happened a few months ago, also with United. I tried EVERY city pair advertised and not one generated the sales price. I called customer service and spent 30 minutes with a clueless rep who couldn't produce a correct sale price either and deferred to their "web group" and was told to "try again tomorrow." An e-mail to customer service generated a canned response. This is pure false advertising.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you really have the facts correct, this is a legit DOT complain.
This is a hot button issue for DOT.

appears DOT suggestion was a bit premature.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm Reason: premature
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by UsuallyRV
Am I the only one getting fed up with the bogus fare sales advertised by United? Yesterday I got an e-mail from United advertising their "Explore America's Great Outdoors" fare sale which included an advertised price of IAH-BOS of $126 each way. I immediately clicked the "book now" button and the lowest price available? $580 RT. None of the other fares worked as advertised either. I re-read the sale rules and ensured I was entering appropriate dates. The same thing happened a few months ago, also with United. I tried EVERY city pair advertised and not one generated the sales price. I called customer service and spent 30 minutes with a clueless rep who couldn't produce a correct sale price either and deferred to their "web group" and was told to "try again tomorrow." An e-mail to customer service generated a canned response. This is pure false advertising.
I see tons of availability for $137- to $268- RTs on ITA in May (1-14+ day turns).

Here's One:

Houston (IAH) to Boston (BOS) - Wed, May 7
United Airlines, Inc. 1578 Dep: 7:55PM Arr: 12:40AM 3h 45m Boeing 737 Economy (N)
Thu, May 8

Boston (BOS) to Houston (IAH) - Tue, May 13
United Airlines, Inc. 657 Dep: 5:16AM Arr: 8:32AM 4h 16m Airbus A320 Economy (N)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $136.50
Total cost for 1 passenger $136.50

How to buy this ticket
Tickets cannot be purchased directly from ITA Software.
Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare 1: Carrier UA NEU14AHS HOU to BOS (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code N
Covers IAH-BOS (Economy)
$53.96
Fare 2: Carrier UA NEU14AHS BOS to HOU (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code N
Covers BOS-IAH (Economy)
$53.95
US Transportation Tax (US) $8.09
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.00
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $7.50
US Flight Segment Tax (ZP) $8.00

Subtotal per passenger $136.50
Number of passengers x1

TOTAL AIRFARE & TAXES $136.50
This ticket is non-refundable.
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)
HOU UA BOS 53.96NEU14AHS UA HOU 53.95NEU14AHS USD 107.91 END ZP IAH BOS XT 8.09US 8.00ZP 5.00AY 7.50XF IAH3.00 BOS4.50
Email this itinerary
Print this page

Mileage
3188 total miles

CO2 emissions
1027 lbs (estimated by ITA)

Airport Information
Houston George Bush Intercntl (IAH)
Boston Logan International (BOS)

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 16, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Have the supposed fare sales always been advertised at one way cost? I noticed a few months ago what looked like a good price but realized it was one way and a truly crap deal. Not sure about availability.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There really is a BOS-IAH fare sale pricing out, at the low end, at $137 a/i round trip. Valid thru May, departures on Tue & Wed, 21 day advance purchase; I read about it at http://www.theflightdeal.com/2014/04...cluding-taxes/ .
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
There really is a BOS-IAH fare sale pricing out, at the low end, at $137 a/i round trip. Valid thru May, departures on Tue & Wed, 21 day advance purchase; I read about it at http://www.theflightdeal.com/2014/04...cluding-taxes/ .
I'm looking specifically for October.

Here were the rules as quoted for the sale (and I made sure I chose a Thursday departure and Monday return to comply):

Tickets | Tickets must be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, but no later than April 17, 2014.
Travel Period | Travel may begin on or after April 29, 2014 through June 7, 2014 or August 25, 2014 through October 30,2014.
Fare Validity | Fares shown are valid for travel every day except Fridays and Sundays. Fares are valid in the Economy (Coach) cabin on nonstop United/United Express carrier flights only.
Travel to Florida or Las Vegas, valid only Sunday through Wednesday.
Travel from Florida or Las Vegas, valid only Tuesday through Friday.
Travel to Florida from Las Vegas, valid only Tuesday through Friday.
Travel from Florida to Las Vegas, valid only Sunday through Wednesday.
Minimum Stay | Up to 3-nights or a Saturday-night minimum stay may be required, based on travel days.
Blackout Dates | Prices are not valid for travel May 22, May 23, and May 26, 2014
Miscellaneous | Fares, fees, rules, and offers are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I'm looking specifically for October.

Here were the rules as quoted for the sale (and I made sure I chose a Thursday departure and Monday return to comply):

Tickets | Tickets must be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, but no later than April 17, 2014.
Travel Period | Travel may begin on or after April 29, 2014 through June 7, 2014 or August 25, 2014 through October 30,2014.
Fare Validity | Fares shown are valid for travel every day except Fridays and Sundays. Fares are valid in the Economy (Coach) cabin on nonstop United/United Express carrier flights only.
Travel to Florida or Las Vegas, valid only Sunday through Wednesday.
Travel from Florida or Las Vegas, valid only Tuesday through Friday.
Travel to Florida from Las Vegas, valid only Tuesday through Friday.
Travel from Florida to Las Vegas, valid only Sunday through Wednesday.
Minimum Stay | Up to 3-nights or a Saturday-night minimum stay may be required, based on travel days.
Blackout Dates | Prices are not valid for travel May 22, May 23, and May 26, 2014
Miscellaneous | Fares, fees, rules, and offers are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
OCT is wide open for $251- to $295- RTs for 1-14+ day turns. The sweet spot for the $251- RTs is a one week stay, departing and returning on WED.

Do you know how to use ITA?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sakuraboy
Have the supposed fare sales always been advertised at one way cost? I noticed a few months ago what looked like a good price but realized it was one way and a truly crap deal. Not sure about availability.
I can't pull open the old fare sale ad as the link points to the current sale and I don't recall if it advertised a one way or round trip price but I do remember getting excited because they advertised a good price for IAH-PHX (which is usually not a cheap route on United from what I've seen) during Spring Break. The date I wrote the e-mail to United was 1/22/14 based on my quoted text in their reply and I made reference to a fare sale entitled "take advantage of great deals this winter" which would have come out the day prior. What was very frustrating is that I couldn't get any of the city pairs to work, much less the one I really wanted.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zombietooth
OCT is wide open for $251- to $295- RTs for 1-14+ day turns. The sweet spot for the $251- RTs is a one week stay, departing and returning on WED.

Do you know how to use ITA?
No, I don't know how to use ITA.

But I need particular dates to accommodate the kids' school schedule. And I'm frustrated that I can't generate the advertised prices using their site and following their rules. Am I doing something wrong?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:51 pm

The low fares are because Southwest and JetBlue also fly this route. Two LCCs as competitors. It was a monopoly route not too long ago.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:53 pm

No, I don't know how to use ITA.

But I need particular dates to accommodate the kids' school schedule. And I'm frustrated that I can't generate the advertised prices using their site and following their rules. Am I doing something wrong?
Give me the dates and I'll get you the booking codes for the UA flights if the fare is available.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
OP doesn't know how to search for fares: case closed. UAs advertising is correct ... let's move on.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Give me the dates and I'll get you the booking codes for the UA flights if the fare is available.
Oct 9/13. Thx.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
OP doesn't know how to search for fares: case closed. UAs advertising is correct ... let's move on.
Then educate me. If I'm doing something wrong then chances are that others have the same issue. Share your knowledge.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:38 pm

Oct 9/13. Thx.

$277.50

Wed., Oct. 8, 2014 | Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) to Boston, MA (BOS)
Depart:
12:55 p.m.
Wed., Oct. 8, 2014
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)

Arrive:
5:53 p.m.
Wed., Oct. 8, 2014
Boston, MA (BOS)
Travel Time:
3 hr 58 mn
Distance:
1,597 miles
Flight:UA1634
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Fare Class: United Economy (G)
Meal: Meals for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.
Sun., Oct. 12, 2014 | Boston, MA (BOS) to Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Depart:
8:30 a.m.
Sun., Oct. 12, 2014
Boston, MA (BOS)

Arrive:
11:35 a.m.
Sun., Oct. 12, 2014
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Travel Time:
4 hr 5 mn
Distance:
1,597 miles
Flight:UA676
Aircraft: Airbus A319
Fare Class: United Economy (K)
Meal: Meals for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.