Wiki Posts
Search

R availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Too bad there isn't any way to know how many people are ahead of me on the wait list. from the seat Map, this flight barely has anyone booked in coach.
I would never want that information to be public knowledge - imagine the shenanigan threads we get on domestic CPUs - and now multiply exponentially when a 1K misses EWR-BOM, because a non-rev took "his" seat.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bear Backers
Upgrade pending

Have paid and given miles about 2 months ago for 7/31 SFO-LHR 7:40pm flight. Hoping for an upgrade to business. No status. 18 seats left.

Anyidea if they might process upgrades before the 48 hour window? Looked at other flights on Thursday 7/10, 7/17 and 7/24. Couldn't discern any pattern. At what point should I assume I will not get the upgrade. Asking for only 1 seat.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:29 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
With no status, you will have to wait until 72-24 hours prior to flying. Sometimes even at the gate.

Most instrument upgrades happen in that time frame, and without status, you will be the last batch within the instrument upgrades to be processed is my opinion. Often this means, right before general checkin opens 24 hours before.

Hopefully others who fly that sector often can chime in.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
You won't know until the flight departs.

The only other thing you can do is keep an eye open for R availability both on this flight (I have little confidence in UA's waitlisting) and on alternate flights (the earlier flight that day and flights on a day before or after). If R opens up and you want, pay the change fee or wait until SDC applies and make the change.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Anyidea if they might process upgrades before the 48 hour window? Looked at other flights on Thursday 7/10, 7/17 and 7/24. Couldn't discern any pattern. ...
there may be a day of the week pattern but I have have given up try to out guess UA on this -- as you say "Couldn't discern any pattern"

.... At what point should I assume I will not get the upgrade. ....
Not till runaway but the gate upgrade list will provide a pretty good idea.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm Reason: sp checker !@#$
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Couldn't discern any pattern. At what point should I assume I will not get the upgrade. Asking for only 1 seat.
There is no pattern. R availability is based on UA revenue management's determinations and that is a dynamic process. Any statement to the contrary (that there is some definite pattern) is in error. You could clear five minutes from now, five minutes before they close the boarding door, or never.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kacee
R availability is based on UA revenue management's determinations magic 8 ball queries and that is a dynamic process.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Just cross your fingers and don't get too optimistic -- in recent years it seems that your odds of clearing the upgrade are about as good as your odds of getting this: http://www.realclearsports.com/lists...tml?state=play I do wish you the best of luck, though, in clearing the upgrade.

Last edited by endrond; Jul 3, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info

I have a good E+ seat with no one in front of me so it's ok if I don't get it. Glad I booked that.

Let us remember, however, that Cal Beat Stanford for 7 years in a row during the height of the Tedford regime.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K, VS FC Silver
Hi oskidunker - I've done this route a couple of times, although mostly on the Friday night flight. Last time I did the same as you with 20k miles + co-pay, no status and I was 20th on the waitlist - nobody cleared.

The Thursday flight has been quieter when I've taken it, with spare seats or whole rows in economy (good for lying down across several seats!), but I rarely see R/RN availability. Good luck!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Welcome to Flyertalk, ldntechflyer!

And yes, oskidunker, I do remember that Cal used to win Big Games. (Though you were hardly unique in beating up on Stanford during those years. And I think you're forgetting that Cal lost in 2007. Or maybe by 7 years you actually were thinking of 1995-2001). And for what it's worth I hope Cal wins against every other opponent. Now that Barbour is gone, I'm more optimistic about their future.

Last edited by endrond; Jul 3, 2014 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade question

I am on a wait list for flight 930 7/31 SFO to LHR. Only 4 J seats left. Is it possible they have been processing upgrades off the wait list or is it likely people are buying these seats?

Have good E+ seat and am looking forward to getting my $500 back(positive attitude)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I am on a wait list for flight 930 7/31 SFO to LHR. Only 4 J seats left. Is it possible they have been processing upgrades off the wait list or is it likely people are buying these seats?

Have good E+ seat and am looking forward to getting my $500 back(positive attitude)
Nobody knows except UA.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'll gaze in to my crystal ball and say that if there are only 4 seats left 8 days out that those are being sold. Too few seats left with too many days to go for them to fill 'em up with upgraders when we are in the prime window for last-minute business class purchases.

I'll further say that unless there's a significant opening of seats you'll be getting your $500 back ^
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:45 pm

Best bet is for some of those seats to have last minute changes therefore opening them up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.