Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award ticket to Curacao with Copa segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO

Hi All,

I have a UA MP award booking that flies copa red eye from LAX to PTY. I'm trying to find how to reserve specific seats on the COPA flights (have no idea of they have E+, but for a 6 hour red eye, I'd like to find something other than the middle row). Seat reservation is unavailable on united.com, though I can see the equipment (737-8), so go to copa.com, use my copa reservation number there to 'manage my booking' and I can see the flight - but no place to reserve a specific seat. I'm UA Gold, don't expect to see an upgrade. Award booking upgrades haven't been very common for me to Cozumel or Roatan. Just looking for a reasonably comfortable seat - flying with the wife and daughter, so the more comfortable they are, THE MORE COMFORTABLE I AM!

thanks for anyone who can nudge me in the correct direction.

Ray
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No E+ on Copa but the exit row has a bit of extra legroom. Call them or use your ticket number on copaair.com.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

I found it on copa's website - appearantly I'm blind, or so conditioned to using united that I find all other airline webpages annoying (same thing happens on american and lufthansa websites - I lose my mind).

thanks much - and yep, exits are available. Thanks very much.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
btw, no award upgrades on COPA metal.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by rayaa3
I found it on copa's website - appearantly I'm blind, or so conditioned to using united that I find all other airline webpages annoying (same thing happens on american and lufthansa websites - I lose my mind).

thanks much - and yep, exits are available. Thanks very much.
It's not just you. The COPA "manage my booking" page is not intuitively designed. I remember that I struggled with it the first few times.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
I flew ORD-PTY-CUR last year and got upgraded on the PTY-CUR segment both ways (and I was only Silver at the time - not an award ticket, though)...You might get lucky. On the other hand, I also had reserved Emergency Exit row seats and the check-in counter person at ORD said we need to know Spanish fluently and that the FA may ask us to move - I wanted to risk it, but my wife takes her emerg exit row responsibilities very seriously and asked for new seat assignments. Ironically, on PTY-ORD, we asked if knowing English alone was sufficient, and they said that is perfectly fine, so we stayed in our emerg exit row seats on the way back.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I find m.copaair.com better for seat assignment, I can never make CM's web site work
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by bluedog423
I flew ORD-PTY-CUR last year and got upgraded on the PTY-CUR segment both ways (and I was only Silver at the time - not an award ticket, though)...You might get lucky. On the other hand, I also had reserved Emergency Exit row seats and the check-in counter person at ORD said we need to know Spanish fluently and that the FA may ask us to move - I wanted to risk it, but my wife takes her emerg exit row responsibilities very seriously and asked for new seat assignments. Ironically, on PTY-ORD, we asked if knowing English alone was sufficient, and they said that is perfectly fine, so we stayed in our emerg exit row seats on the way back.
I can tell you that as a 1K, I have never received an upgrade on an award, though I do almost always get one as a revenue passenger, even on a deep-discounted fare. I asked at the airport the first few times, and they always explained that there are no upgrades on awards. That said, you may get lucky.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
By the way, UA agents over the phone or at the airport can assign you seats on a COPA flight... I love flying Copa, and a UA agent at PTY told me what to have the agent do...

in SHARES, the agent types: B/CM and they are then in the Copa res system and can bring up a PNR and assign seats. They they type B/UA and are back to UA

just a helpful hint I found from an awesome agent in Panama
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I can tell you that as a 1K, I have never received an upgrade on an award, though I do almost always get one as a revenue passenger, even on a deep-discounted fare. I asked at the airport the first few times, and they always explained that there are no upgrades on awards. That said, you may get lucky.
The language was recently clarified to make explicit that award tickets are not eligible for upgrades on COPA.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the help everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.