Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What to do? Cannot get seats assigned for my family w/young children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do? Cannot get seats assigned for my family w/young children

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snic
I'm really curious how this went. Was it a long flight? Did the kid misbehave? How exactly did you "babysit" her?
My seatmate was a very sociable four year old. I helped him with his Gameboy, retrieved the games he lost under his seat, read to him, got juice for him when the flight attendants came around, cleaned up after he spilled juice on himself, made him wear his seat belt when required (a challenge), and listened to him (a lot). ORD-SFO, so long enough.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by hobo13
Would you choose to keep your aisle seat and sit next to a 3-year old who is separated from his parents, or move into a middle?

Precisely. And that is why it's ridiculous to suggest that somebody pay money to pre-assign seats together.

And keep in mind, it's a lot easier to stick to your principles on an anonymous internet forum than it is when you have 30-50 passengers staring at you, all wanting to close the door and take off.
What are you talking about? If there aren't E- seats available for assignment, then if you must sit together, pay for E+ seats. Or chose another flight or airline. Your choice.

I never have any trouble sticking to my principles.

I'm not interested in engaging in a mind numbing and unproductive debate about whether or not people should give up their seats so families can sit together.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Your problem with not getting assigned seats, in advance, is not my problem. As others have mentioned, if seat assignments are that important, buy your tickets on flights that provide that ability, LIKE ALMOST EVERYONE ELSE DOES!!!
I've sometimes had to deal with trying to rearrange seating for my family after boarding, and almost invariably that has been necessary despite my careful planning. I've held seats for months, only to encounter IRROPS and end up on a flight I never intended to be on, with crap seats that aren't together.

I also know that sometimes families buy last-minute tickets because of an emergency, such as a funeral. Kind of hard to plan someone else's death months in advance, wouldn't you say?

Of course it's not your problem. I couldn't agree more. But neither is this particular scenario always the result of poor planning.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by snic
I've sometimes had to deal with trying to rearrange seating for my family after boarding, and almost invariably that has been necessary despite my careful planning. I've held seats for months, only to encounter IRROPS and end up on a flight I never intended to be on, with crap seats that aren't together.

I also know that sometimes families buy last-minute tickets because of an emergency, such as a funeral. Kind of hard to plan someone else's death months in advance, wouldn't you say?

Of course it's not your problem. I couldn't agree more. But neither is this particular scenario always the result of poor planning.
Again, I am NOT mainly blaming the OP or any others that are in a position to board without seats together.

My comments, although rather blunt, are directed at posters that are saying that there is NOTHING to be concerned about.

I have had to board airplanes with my wife and 2 small children, many times without seats together, and I was not as comfortable as some on here are telling the OP to be.

I knew that my comments would push certain buttons, and they were meant to do just that, as I am getting a point across that telling others on here something that is NOT always true is not doing anyone a service, especially an OP that knew that something could be a problem for him or he wouldn't have inquired to begin with!

No need to shoot the messenger, and remember that as you mention, anything can, and probably will go wrong!!!

Good luck to the OP, but he does mention in his OP that when he bought his tickets to Brazil the seats could not be assigned ..... he did have 24 hours to cancel!!!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
So easy, just pay for your preferred seats like everyone else.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately, if you do not have status and you have a party of 4, you need to book way in advance. I would say at least 6 months in advance to get seats together.

Otherwise, you need to pay and get E+ seats. It is not fair to ask someone with an aisle seat (which is usually the case) to swap for a middle seat. That person either booked way ahead or has status.

If you don't have status, and wait until say 1 month out to buy tickets for a group of 4, then pay the fee and get E+.

I have seen this on AA as well. AA even holds back aisle seats in the back of the aircraft. With no status - you need to pay more to get seats together on AA. That is just the way it is.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Good question

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
They're taken, probably, not blocked. This is not uncommon. Can you give exact flight details?
Good question - the flight date is June 27th. You would think two months in advance they will have 3 seats open!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by klakhav
Good question - the flight date is June 27th. You would think two months in advance they will have 3 seats open!
As I already advised, EF will advise on this, and let you do seat alerts.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:26 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
This thread has run its course and then some. Thank you to those who gave helpful responses.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.