Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Requesting (Mileage) upgrades within 24 hours of departure

Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, tried to figure out how to search for this answer, but could not get specific enough to give me usable results. It looks like I will be close to an CPU on flights I am taking on Thursday, but it will be very close, so I want to see what the upgrade standby list looks like close to departure. How close to departure can I request an upgrade with miles? And can it be done online within 24 hours of departure or does it have to be done at the airport? Kiosk or live person?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: 1K
Technically you're not supposed to be able to use miles any time after T-24. However, I've had really great success calling 1K line and having them do it for me. If the agent won't help you, just hang up and call back! Be sure to request that they manually check you out and back in.

Disclaimer: As always, YMMV
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Hi all, tried to figure out how to search for this answer, but could not get specific enough to give me usable results. It looks like I will be close to an CPU on flights I am taking on Thursday, but it will be very close, so I want to see what the upgrade standby list looks like close to departure. How close to departure can I request an upgrade with miles? And can it be done online within 24 hours of departure or does it have to be done at the airport? Kiosk or live person?
If R space exists, upgrades can be requested any time, certainty up to an hour or so prior to departure. If R=0, then you can not request to be wailist once it is T-24, so once you can see the waitlist it is too late unless R>0.

Originally Posted by hookthem
Technically you're not supposed to be able to use miles any time after T-24. ....
incorrect, see above.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
incorrect, see above.
Learn something new every day! I wonder why I'm sometimes met with resistance after T-24... perhaps it is more steps/harder to do in their system? Hanging up and calling back clears it up, though.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, any guidance on the online versus airport kiosk versus airport live person question?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thank you, any guidance on the online versus airport kiosk versus airport live person question?
I think once you have checked in you need to call to request BUT again R space must be available.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
If R space exists, upgrades can be requested any time, certainty up to an hour or so prior to departure.
Yep, I've done it from the security line on more than one occasion (this was before Precheck - with it, you likely wouldn't finish the call before putting your phone on the belt ).

AFAIK, can't be done online or at kiosk inside of T-24. I've only ever called in (easier to HUCA in case something goes wrong, though it never has in my case), but I'm sure it can be done with an airport agent.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by kon104
.... but I'm sure it can be done with an airport agent.
There have been reports GAs will not do mileage upgrades ven if R>0.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, much appreciated. Looks like there will be R space available, but I am a lowly silver, so there has to be quite a lot of space available for me to get a CPU!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kon104
AFAIK, can't be done online or at kiosk inside of T-24. I've only ever called in (easier to HUCA in case something goes wrong, though it never has in my case), but I'm sure it can be done with an airport agent.
This is my experience as well. You'll need to call in inside of 24 hrs if R space is available. After t-24 the "redeem upgrade" option in your itinerary disappears... and I'm pretty sure (if I remember correctly) it doesn't matter if you are checked in or not.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, all of the information provided here was spot on. Did not end up buying the upgrade with miles, because I got a CPU on one of the two segments and it does not seem worth it to spend the 20,000 miles on the remaining 4 hour flight to move up from bulkhead to domestic first, however, information will be handy for future flights, thanks
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
If R space exists, upgrades can be requested any time, certainty up to an hour or so prior to departure. If R=0, then you can not request to be wailist once it is T-24, so once you can see the waitlist it is too late unless R>0.

incorrect, see above.
Really, I thought within 24 hours you couldn't go after R+ space. I just tried last weekend to use a RPU on a transcon and was told NO over the phone.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
I have had good luck with the agents at check-in doing it for me on day of departure for domestic or international travel. Though I have only done it twice. I have asked about it many times just to get a feel for the number of miles required. The kiosk will not do it, but IME the agent behind the counter can, and usually will.

But you are correct above in saying that wait listing is not possible day of departure.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by zoegksf
Really, I thought within 24 hours you couldn't go after R+ space. I just tried last weekend to use a RPU on a transcon and was told NO over the phone.
As stated only a yes if R>0, it is a no if R=0. So it is very possible to get either answer or uninformed agent.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2014 at 6:14 pm Reason: missing letter
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
As stated only a yes if R>0, it is a no if R=0. So it is very possible to get either answer or uniformed agent.
Did you mean uninformed, or uniformed? Or both?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.