Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

April 2014 - Random p.s. Equipment Swaps to Domestic 757 are Occurring

April 2014 - Random p.s. Equipment Swaps to Domestic 757 are Occurring

Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
They could also swap in a sUA 763. What's telling is that they typically choose to downgauge rather than upgauge.

Also that they chose to convert the absolute bare minimum number of aircraft to new ps, leaving zero cushion when, inevitably, unscheduled maintenance is required.

Penny wise, pound foolish.
IIRC, the old p.s. fleet was 13 frames, while the new fleet is 15, unless flying has been increased. 8x JFK-SFO and 6x JFK-LAX seems consistent with what the schedule has been for a few years.

The other consideration is staffing. While the sUA 757s and 767s can be flown by the same pilots at present, the sCO 752 is part of a different fleet which would preclude that kind of plug-and-play flexibility. Of course, the F/A situation is much more clear-cut, as in no overlap at all.

A swap to a sUA 763 may not have been feasible as, to my knowledge, none of the three-cabin birds are operating out of either JFK or SFO, and the only 2-cabin 763 out of SFO rotates through CDG. So aircraft availability becomes an issue, and UA probably decided that swapping to a domestic bird, doling out comp, and dealing with pax frustration was preferable to an outright cancellation or the expense to ferry an airplane in from elsewhere. My point is that a homogenized operation between the subsidiaries makes issues like this easier to deal with. Such integration is long overdue and management needs to be accountable for their failure to strike a bargain.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
UA probably decided that swapping to a domestic bird, doling out comp, and dealing with pax frustration was preferable to an outright cancellation or the expense to ferry an airplane in from elsewhere.
This just seems so foolish given the high probability UA will forever lose x number of paying J customers to AA/DL every time they do this.

I don't disagree with you, btw, I think we're just focusing on different issues.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:47 am

This just seems so foolish given the high probability UA will forever lose x number of paying J customers to AA/DL every time they do this.

I don't disagree with you, btw, I think we're just focusing on different issues.
Yes, I think we are on the same page here. It's the half-baked and slow-moving state of this merger that once again chases customers to other carriers who either have their mergers together or seem to place greater emphasis on taking care of their premium customers.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
IIRC, the old p.s. fleet was 13 frames, while the new fleet is 15, unless flying has been increased. 8x JFK-SFO and 6x JFK-LAX seems consistent with what the schedule has been for a few years.

The other consideration is staffing. While the sUA 757s and 767s can be flown by the same pilots at present, the sCO 752 is part of a different fleet which would preclude that kind of plug-and-play flexibility. Of course, the F/A situation is much more clear-cut, as in no overlap at all.

A swap to a sUA 763 may not have been feasible as, to my knowledge, none of the three-cabin birds are operating out of either JFK or SFO, and the only 2-cabin 763 out of SFO rotates through CDG. So aircraft availability becomes an issue, and UA probably decided that swapping to a domestic bird, doling out comp, and dealing with pax frustration was preferable to an outright cancellation or the expense to ferry an airplane in from elsewhere. My point is that a homogenized operation between the subsidiaries makes issues like this easier to deal with. Such integration is long overdue and management needs to be accountable for their failure to strike a bargain.
Well the 3-class 767s were never operating out of JFK or SFO before either. It used to be routed ORD-JFK (can't remember if it was bookable or a ferry), then JFK-SFO/LAX-ORD. During the winter, after a days worth of cancelled flights, a 3-class 777 was brought in on the same routing. The 747 would somedays be used Asia-SFO-ORD-LAX-SFO.

Not trying to nitpick, as I realize there was a lot more slack in the pmUA widebody fleet pre-integration.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Well the 3-class 767s were never operating out of JFK or SFO before either. It used to be routed ORD-JFK (can't remember if it was bookable or a ferry), then JFK-SFO/LAX-ORD. During the winter, after a days worth of cancelled flights, a 3-class 777 was brought in on the same routing. The 747 would somedays be used Asia-SFO-ORD-LAX-SFO.

Not trying to nitpick, as I realize there was a lot more slack in the pmUA widebody fleet pre-integration.
Though in the past, more 3-cabin 763ERs rotated through SFO on various routes, such as DEN/ORD-SFO. In this case, it is evident that United's cost-control mantra is the driver, as those other options would likely call for a non-revenue ferry, which UA seems to avoid if possible in the domestic network.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
April 17 SFO Red-Eye Swapped!

One last check of my reservation tonight before going to bed and . . . they've swapped a domestic 752 in for the Thursday night redeye SFO-JFK. Bad dog, United! Gonna be some very unhappy flyers at SFO around 10:20 p.m. Thursday.

Called in and switched to the 7:05 a.m. Friday, which is R8. (In fact, everything on Friday is absolutely wide open. Very strange.) Agent waived the change fee (change made at approx. T-30).

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 17, 2014 at 3:34 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

Called in and switched to the 7:05 a.m. Friday, which is R8. (In fact, everything on Friday is absolutely wide open. Very strange.) Agent waived the change fee (change made at approx. T-30).
Friday is Good Friday.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
One last check of my reservation tonight before going to bed and . . . they've swapped a domestic 752 in for the Thursday night redeye SFO-JFK. Bad dog, United! Gonna be some very unhappy flyers at SFO around 10:20 p.m. Thursday.

Friday is Good Friday (which I realise is less of a thing in the US), possibly reduced loads ahead of the Easter weekend?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

Not to mention that UA could give a damn if they piss off someone holding a seat booked in R or I class......its the J/C & some D class holders they don't want to piss off and many of those customers can just tell UA to stick it, either endorse the ticket to AA/DL or refund it and buy a new one w AA/DL. Ive done that twice this year with UA.......Nothing more satisfying then dealing with a smug agent that thinks your trapped when in fact, your not trapped at all. The problem is when on an upgrade your at the mercy of UA

To be fair, I also had a schedule change (DELAY) from NRT-JFK via SFO on a restricted D fare and UA was more then accommodating when I asked them to put me on the NH non stop. Only problem was I had to give up my GF / ON seat but worth it to get back on time
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold
JFK - SFO - PS Flight Metal Change

Just got notice that my flight today (#541) has had a metal change back to one of UA's very old 757s. I chose the PS flight to have the internet to work and now will be stuck flying an old lady. Do I have any options? I've been flying this route for 3 years and never had a metal change to a non-Wifi plane.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 29, 2014 at 4:52 am Reason: no need to start new thread
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by halpie97
Just got notice that my flight today (#541) has had a metal change back to one of UA's very old 757s. I chose the PS flight to have the internet to work and now will be stuck flying an old lady. Do I have any options? I've been flying this route for 3 years and never had a metal change to a non-Wifi plane.

Call the 1K line and see if they change you to an earlier/later flight. You should be able to choose a new flight online if your fare class is available. Just explain the change in planes and see what they say.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by halpie97

They will switch you to another flight. If at first you don't succeed, HUACA.

Pretty sad this is still occurring.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
If you are in economy, getting it swapped to a 3 class 763 would be a further downgrade. Economy on that aircraft is gothic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.