Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL (United Airlines) 1Q 2014 Results, Discussion, News, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: spin88
So that the numbers don't get lost, here are the current estimates, and 1Q 2013 numbers, and the actual results can be added in the next few days:

DAL – earnings released on 4/23

1Q 2013 results: .10/share - $85M profit
Current 1Q 2014 estimate: .29/share - $244M profit
1Q estimated revenue: $8.92B, 1Q 2013 revenue was $8.5B

Actual results
:

- $281M net income, 33c/share. [Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $444M]
- PRASM up 3.5%, yield up 1.7%; domestic yield +5.3%
- ASM +1.7%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was + .3%
- Operating Revenue: 8.916B (+5%); Passenger Revenue 7.677B ( up 4.9%)
- $951 in operating cash flow and $390M in free cash, net debt $9.1M
- 2Q projections: Operating margin 14-16%, CASM + 0-2%.

http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...t/default.aspx

UAL – earnings released on 4/24

1Q 2013 results: (.98)/share - ($364M) loss
Current 1Q 2014 estimate: (1.35)/share - ($501M) loss
1Q estimated revenue $8.71B; 1Q 2013 revenue was $8.72B.

Actual results:
- ($489M) loss, ($1.33)/share loss ex-special charges
- ($609M) loss, ($1.66)/share GAAP [What the difference is will be interesting]
- PRASM down (2%)
- Yield down (2%)
- Total Revenue down (.3%) to 8.7B
- Passenger revenue down (2.3%) to 7.4B
- ancelary fees income up 7.6%
- CASM +1%
- mainline OT - 74.3%
- 2Q 2014 guidance: PRASM +1-3%.

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....731&highlight=

AAL - earnings released on 4/24.

Current 1Q 2014 estimate: .48/share - $226M profit
1Q estimated revenue $10.02B

Actual results
:

- .65/share, $480M profit GAAP
- .54/share, $408M profit excluding one-time items
- Revenue 10B (+5.6% on combined basis)
- yield +3.2% (to 17.03 c/mi)
- PRASM +2.9%
- ASM +2%
Print Wikipost

UAL (United Airlines) 1Q 2014 Results, Discussion, News, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
Where is United going to find a qualified CEO who can:

1) Make the corporation attractive to investors
2) Develop and maintain a dedicated and enthusiastic work force
3) Keep and attract all types of customers who keep coming back
4) Invest in aircraft and infrastructure
5) Revitalize Mileage Plus, customer service
6) Revitalize and improve everything about the Airline

Certainly there is someone out there who is up to the challenge!

I sure hope so.
Honestly. It isn't hard to find someone like that...take a CEO from any sizable privately held company (you know...where they don't have to pander to analysts all day long) and tell that person to execute your major points. I guarantee that this would lead to the right results.

Instead, they'll hire another pawn of the big banks who will say he'll turn it around, but won't change much at all.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Now, regarding the call itself.... was it just too convenient that they ran out of time for the media/press questions? I seem to recall in the pmUA days Glenn, Pete & Kathryn took questions til no one had anymore (I even recall an individual investor hammering Glenn for a pet fee).
I agree. That was a pretty hard stop. They did allow the one "token" media question. Given their circumstances, nothing good can come from sharing information with the media. I think we all know how that would turn out. However, if they had their sales and marketing hats on, which is not their strong suit, it would have been a great time to reveal any information they can about what their plans are for Customer Experience changes. Opportunities lost.

It's just not evident this group has any desire to be transparent, leading some to believe their real plans are reactionary versus being proactive.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
There is one name who might be a good antidote to UA's malaise -- Jim Whitehurst. Not sure if he would take the job if it were ever offered to him, but I for one would be thrilled.
I wholeheartedly agree...but I doubt he would take the job. The last time I heard him speak (last year) he seemed very loyal to DL, even though the DL board essentially canned him!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
Where is United going to find a qualified CEO who can:

1) Make the corporation attractive to investors
2) Develop and maintain a dedicated and enthusiastic work force
3) Keep and attract all types of customers who keep coming back
4) Invest in aircraft and infrastructure
5) Revitalize Mileage Plus, customer service
6) Revitalize and improve everything about the Airline

Certainly there is someone out there who is up to the challenge!

I sure hope so.
Alan Mulally will be retiring from Ford soon. Previously, he was President and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. He led engineering and design of the 777.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wxguy
Alan Mulally will be retiring from Ford soon. Previously, he was President and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. He led engineering and design of the 777.
That was my thought exactly. Mulally is the second most admired CEO in the United States. The biggest culture change he implemented at Ford was to get everyone working together instead of for their own parochial interests. And. . . he banned Blackberries from meetings!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Here's another great headline from Barrons: "Airlines Flying High–Save For ‘Troublesome’ United Continental".
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by pauljacobson958
That was my thought exactly. Mulally is the second most admired CEO in the United States. The biggest culture change he implemented at Ford was to get everyone working together instead of for their own parochial interests. And. . . he banned Blackberries from meetings!
And he will be in his 70's, having made a nice amount of money. How much would UA need to pay to lure him out of retirement, and would he be willing and eager to take on a huge turnaround job? I like the idea, but just don't see it happening.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
One issue ... is the competitive pressure the carrier is experiencing in the Asia Pacific market, where Chinese carriers such as Hainan Airlines, Air China and others, are eating into United's market share in the region.

United said it is doing a couple of things to deal with the competition. It has begun to focus on adding service to secondary markets in China, such as Chengdu...

Also United said it is dropping most of the nonstop flights it operated from Tokyo to other markets in Asia and funneling connecting passengers on to partner airlines in the Star Alliance, such as ANA. The change has freed up aircraft to put into service on more profitable routes.
so... if i'm reading this right, they're blaming increased competition and instead of investing and creating a product that's competitive, they're simply just retreating and moving to places where there's less competition?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I'm curious how badly US ending their relationship with UAL will affect revenue in Q2. I gave UAL probably $30-$40K a year in intl C to asia from 2011-2013 and now give that business to AA&JL. I know Alaska gains a few hundred million from Delta & AA - I would think UAL was getting at least that much from US fliers.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Zomba
And he will be in his 70's, having made a nice amount of money. How much would UA need to pay to lure him out of retirement, and would he be willing and eager to take on a huge turnaround job? I like the idea, but just don't see it happening.
He makes $8.54M at F. So that would be about twice Smi/J. But that doesn't matter if he feels he can turn this around. He went to F from Boeing AND he comes from a Union environment. Both of those things are good enough for me. It's worth a phone call.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
they're simply just retreating and moving to places where there's less competition?
And couldn't we assume less demand.

Didn't Smi/J say at one time, we don't create the demand?

So what exactly is the strategy again?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
Unless Parker really makes a mess of it at AA , I can't see me and others ever coming back. The AA experience has just been night and day. And it goes far deeper than just the product/experience. There is a reason so many former UA flyers still watch these boards , and it is because we have hardened hearts and take glee in the outcome. When you spent decades being loyal to an airline , and you feel that airline kicked you in gut and told lie after lie after lie to what it thought were good customers, that's a headwind that just making the product comparable again is not likely to easily overcome.
THIS. I couldn't have said it better myself (says the guy currently posting aboard an AA flight).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

As I read in the Tribune article : "...the competitive pressure the carrier is experiencing in the Asia Pacific market, where Chinese carriers such as Hainan Airlines, Air China and others, are eating into United's market share in the region."
If UA is losing market share to Chinese carriers and unable to compete with better quality service and hard product, then just wait until the Gulf carriers refine their offers over the T/A and cause another area UA will retreat from and swing business to their partners ("to free up equipment to service more profitable routes" ). The writing is on the wall that eventually UA will become an exclusive domestic RJ only airline.
UA should realize that the constant whining and blaming weather and competition isn't going to help. It's not always outside interference, it's problems caused by yourself as well. Regroup and work hard to become a world class carrier. Or at least try.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Apr 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
UA should realize that the constant whining and blaming weather and competition isn't going to help. It's not always outside interference, it's problems caused by yourself as well. Regroup and work hard to become a world class carrier. Or at least try.
If UA (and admittedly other US carriers) took the energy they spend whingeing about "unfair" initiatives from overseas competitors, such as AUH pre-clearance, and spent it trying to improve itself, they and all of us would be in much better shape.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: PMUA
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I think he turned this airline the right way via a customer standpoint, but employees were not a fan. I do mis Glenn though, I wonder what he's doing these days.

you are not alone, these numbers are awful, if I was Smisek, I would just resign and admit that he made a mistake. RJ's and q400 won't take airline far

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.