Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to End LAX-PIT Non-Stop Service in August 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to End LAX-PIT Non-Stop Service in August 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trini19
At this moment where UA decides to drop a flight cause of seemingly lost revenue and traffic to AA is shameful, but also a step in the right direction to better the company. I believe UA has a long way to go but cut your losses for now, restructure properly, come back stronger then retake this market.
It's no surprise to me that UA is ceding the PIT-LAX route to AA. UA has never been a big player in PIT, but it's a former US hub, where there's still a concentration of loyal US elites. With the merger of US and AA, AA is the big player in PIT.

Although AA can never dominate LAX the way UA dominates SFO, AA has a lot more real estate to give it a shot (existing gates and future gates on the way with the mid-field TBIT concourse). With DL and AA duking it out at LAX, not very surprising that UA would retreat. There simply isn't that much O&D between PIT and LAX (224 PDEW in 4thQ 2013) and what little there is doesn't command high fares. PIT-LAX will sink or swim on the connections at LAX.

UA can offer those connections at SFO to PIT customers, so there isn't a compelling need to fly PIT-LAX in addition to PIT-SFO.

Originally Posted by fly18725
AA had lower load factors and fares on the route. Perhaps the flip of US FF in PIT from UA to AA makes a difference.
The latest available DoT fare data (4thQ 2013) showed that AA had the largest share of the somewhat paltry O&D (30%) at average fares slightly lower than UA.

With the much slower revenue growth at UA since early 2012 compared to DL or AA, it's no big surprise that it will concentrate where it is strong (SFO) and scale back where it isn't as strong (LAX).
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
UA isn't "retreating" in LAX.

It dropped a route that financially stunk since day one and since AA took it over, has stunk even more.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Zappity
UA isn't "retreating" in LAX.

It dropped a route that financially stunk since day one and since AA took it over, has stunk even more.
In a year, UA will only serve hubs, Hawaii Flights (probably reduced), NRT, SYD and MEL. I would not be surprised if NRT and MEL went away.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Or save themselves all the hassle and do a better job for their customers and not lose it in the first place. It seems the only markets UA can win is the ones they fly themselves or between hubs.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:19 am

I expect, LAX-SEA,YVR,OKC,SAT,AUS,DFW,PHX to all be cut within a year.

I think MCO sticks around with some California routes and hubs. LAS will probably maintain a few flights to funnel the MEL, SYD flights.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I expect, LAX-SEA,YVR,OKC,SAT,AUS,DFW,PHX to all be cut within a year.

I think MCO sticks around with some California routes and hubs. LAS will probably maintain a few flights to funnel the MEL, SYD flights.
And what will you do if your Nostradamus magic 8 ball falls FLAT on the ground ?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by 787fan
And what will you do if your Nostradamus magic 8 ball falls FLAT on the ground ?
I hope I'm wrong.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by 787fan
That's funny.

HAWAII -LAX-LAS also carry plenty of Hawaiians - they love to gamble.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
That's funny.

HAWAII -LAX-LAS also carry plenty of Hawaiians - they love to gamble.
People in Hawaii are flying Hawaiian or if they really need to stick with UA they will be forced via SFO. UA gave up on LAX-HNL when they brought the 738-9 on that route. They brought back the 777 a bit too late. That flight is non rev heaven.

No need to connect when they can go non stop now.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
In a year, UA will only serve hubs, Hawaii Flights (probably reduced), NRT, SYD and MEL. I would not be surprised if NRT and MEL went away.
NRT is still a hub(-lette).

I expect they will cede SYD, and possibly run MEL. less competitive, and they may run LAS... but seeing as its relatively low yield and they compete with WN, and VX on it.... maybe not without the int'l feed.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Going LAS-LAX-PIT on 8/13. I thought I'd try it out because IAH-PIT CPUs are impossible, so I figured this couldn't be worse. F is already almost half full, E- is completely full. Why are they getting rid of this route!?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by horse glasses
Going LAS-LAX-PIT on 8/13. I thought I'd try it out because IAH-PIT CPUs are impossible, so I figured this couldn't be worse. F is already almost half full, E- is completely full. Why are they getting rid of this route!?
Just like ditching BKK, they can do SO much better elsewhere!!!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just like ditching BKK, they can do SO much better elsewhere!!!
Yup. Another SFO-ORD for a total of 18.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:44 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by horse glasses
As a 1k, I am around 50% for upgrades on PIT-LAX. There are a good number of Australia traffic and decent amount of film traffic (most heavy in the summer months when big films are screening in Pittsburgh - currently southpaw is being filmed here, every year there are 2-3 major screening being filmed in Pittsburgh). My company opened offices in. Newport Beach, expanded our Centruy City office and we are going to open a office in San Diego. Running into Mylan employees is not uncommon (one guy was the head of international sales and a GS). This is a route that has a bit of a wild mix of customers, but has proven useful for many of us.

LAX is the easiest route for CPUs out of PIT besides the 6am flights. In other words, don't bother hoping for upgrades and if you get it then great! UA has cut close to 50% of the capacity out of PIT compared to 2-3 years ago, so naturally planes are full with upgrade lists 30-50 deep on mainline flights.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:54 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA

UA can offer those connections at SFO to PIT customers, so there isn't a compelling need to fly PIT-LAX in addition to PIT-SFO.
SFO is not a viable alternative for business travelers. The issue is not the route or connections, it is the timing of the flight. 6am PIT-SFO does not work as we need a 7pm option, but then that means all SFO-Asia connections won't work. Also, PIT-Australia via SFO does not really work again due to scheduling.

If UA adds a 2nd daily PIT-SFO it definitely will take some of the brunt from the LAX flight, but I doubt they are considering that option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.