Limes

Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
Limes

I was amazed to find that the international Lime shortage has hit United where it hurts. No more limes on United, at least for the time being as they have doubled in price! I think the flight attendants are pretty embarrassed to admit that they don't have limes. Who ever heard of a Gin & Tonic or Bloody Mary with lemons? Maybe we will see a lime surcharge in the near future.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry

BYOL.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Dang it, in the Middle East and have been looking forward to that gin tonic all day. Not so much now...maybe I can smuggle my own aboard... :-/
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Neither lime nor lemon

I had a Bloody Mary on a UA midcon this week and it came with neither a lemon nor a lime. Besides the important contribution of the lime to the flavor, it is a lot harder blending the vodka into the mix with just a thin plastic stick.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Now that they've been cut, I suspect they'll never come back, at least under this nickel-and-dime regime.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mkasperzak
Maybe we will see a lime surcharge in the near future.

Don't give the bean counters on Wacker Drive any ideas.

Some sources are quoting $0.53/lime versus $0.21/lime a year ago.
Probably will start bringing some of my own.

Anybody know if limes are available in United Clubs?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
An FTer should make a shtick out of bringing limes for the whole plane. The goalie of limes.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Add it to the list of "you don't save $2B by..." thread
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Billiken

Don't give the bean counters on Wacker Drive any ideas.
This is the regime that brought us Dewar's white label in int'l F, after all.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
An FTer should make a shtick out of bringing limes for the whole plane. The goalie of limes.
That's a good idea. I'm flying SEA-SFO-JFK tomorrow in biz. I assume the TSA would allow a bag of limes?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I got limes two weeks ago in F.

Can we confirm other experiences recently that we have no more limes?

As much as we like to expand one flyers' experience to 'new policy', more often than not, it's a one-off/FA miscommunication.

If they do go, then yes, it's yet another service cut that is just annoying. Vodka/club really goes well with lime.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was amazed to find that the international Lime shortage has hit United where it hurts. No more limes on United, at least for the time being as they have doubled in price! I think the flight attendants are pretty embarrassed to admit that they don't have limes. Who ever heard of a Gin & Tonic or Bloody Mary with lemons? Maybe we will see a lime surcharge in the near future.
Only about half the world, where G&Ts are routinely made with lemons rather than limes.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I assume the TSA would allow a bag of limes?
In reality thinking probably not. Can see issues with that (a friend once told me of how he and his buddies used to inject watermelons full of Everclear in order to get booze into their college football stadium, so nefarious activity would be admittedly far-fetched, yet at least remotely conceivable - esp where a whole bag would be concerned).

Originally Posted by milepig
Only about half the world, where G&Ts are routinely made with lemons rather than limes.
It actually can be a nice change for those of us accustomed to limes but it sounds as though those have been yanked as well...

Originally Posted by hiima
Exactly what I was about to say. GnTs are originally made with lemons IIRC. I hate GnT with lime and make sure I get it with a lemon or a cucumber.
Ah, if only Hendrick's were even a remote possibility, even in int'l F!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by milepig
Exactly what I was about to say. GnTs are originally made with lemons IIRC. I hate GnT with lime and make sure I get it with a lemon or a cucumber.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Sweden. When you ask for a lime there, they know you're an American even if you ask for it in perfect Swedish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.