Wiki Posts
Search

United Club vs. Global First Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
United Club vs. Global First Lounge

Other than the fact that one is strictly for Global First travelers (can't buy a membership, etc) and therefore is less populated, what is the difference between the two clubs?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Much better F&B at a GFL
Less crowded
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Much better F&B at a GFL
Less crowded
And all self serve. None of this bartender nonsense.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Depending on the location, outstanding service. (Actually, most locations but LAX in particular.)

Regarding bartenders, there was one at IAD C7 club who made darn good Manhattans a few years ago. Made out flights to EZE much more enjoyable.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't mind making my own drinks. I liked at LAX there was one friendly woman who was going around, chatting people up and bringing them hot food.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I don't mind making my own drinks. I liked at LAX there was one friendly woman who was going around, chatting people up and bringing them hot food.
And the nice woman at the SFO GFL who roams the lounge with bottles of wine in each hand doing refills!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
FYI a GFL will be returning to LHR in June...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The ladies at LAX are awesome and nothing like any other United Club matrons you've ever seen.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by enviroian
Quote:

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Much better F&B at a GFL
Less crowded

Is this the case at IAD? I thought self-service was against the Commonwealth of Virginia's ABC regulations.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Real food. Quality wine. Better travel assistance from Global Services agents.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by sannmann
Is this the case at IAD? I thought self-service was against the Commonwealth of Virginia's ABC regulations.
especially in IAD. the drink cart can't even be seen from either reception or food prep area.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
UCs and GFLs operate on very different levels. While the GFLs are quite different location by location, they always stand well above the respective United Clubs in the same airports.

The new UA management narrowed the differences between GF and BF on board, but there is still a marked difference in the lounge experience. Depending on location, either a decent to impressive cold buffet spread or hot food to order, much better wines including decent champagne (all self serve), never as crowded as a club, less noisy, generally very helpful UA agents if you need them.

Years ago, and I mean many years ago, the staff at UA's old RCCs used to not just clean tables but offer to get you refills on your drinks. That is long gone in today's United Club cafeteria lounge environment, but you can still get something like it today at the larger GFLs. This is not the Virgin Club experience, but still a nice respite to catch your breath, relax, and have something refreshing.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
The GF lounge experience is what you would get from a minimally stocked foreign airline business class lounge; notably:

Actual food and not packaged snacks. I've seen sushi, sandwiches, hot soup, deli platters, etc.
getting your own drinks instead of bartender crap. Yay i can get my own can of coke instead of returning to the bar 3x for the same quantity of soda.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
The GF lounge experience is what you would get from a minimally stocked foreign airline business class lounge; notably:

Actual food and not packaged snacks. I've seen sushi, sandwiches, hot soup, deli platters, etc.
getting your own drinks instead of bartender crap. Yay i can get my own can of coke instead of returning to the bar 3x for the same quantity of soda.
Just not true. Every UA GFL I have been to has FAR better food and drink than every LH Senator/Business lounge I've been to. As far as drinks go, most GFLs serve Veuve. The only business lounge I've been to that serves Veuve is the Emerites lounge in SYD.

Last edited by kevanyalowitz; Apr 2, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Just not true. Every UA GFL I have been to has FAR better food and drink than every LH Senator/Business lounge I've been to. As far as drinks go, the only business lounge I've been to that serves Veuve is the Emerites lounge in SYD.
And i've been to the Qantas Club Business Lounge, the Silver Kris Lounge (bit of a stretch i know), and the EVA lounge in SFO since the start of this year; and i enjoyed the food there much better. What i said wasn't a lie. A lot of business class lounges give you what the GF lounge has. And i've seen a lot of business class lounges with better food than the GF lounge (silver kris and the QF club in particular).

Last time i was in the SFO GF lounge (2011); they didn't even have hot food. And if anyone has been in a TG lounge lately, they know what i'm talking about too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.