Wiki Posts
Search

UA/Star Business Deals to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Thank you. I keep telling folks this, but a few people still won't buy it for some reason
And some of us disagree.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I kept going back and forth between upper deck window and main deck center seats where you and your seatmate both have aisle access. I went with 86A (UD window). I just checked the seatmap, and it looks like 86B has been filled since last time I checked. It was the last open UD seat.

I don't think I'll have access to the Senator Lounge since I'm not *A Gold in which case I'll take the Welcome Lounge over the Business Lounge. I'm flying from FRA in LH EuroBiz the next day, so I think I'll have access to the Business Lounge then. My flight is pretty early, and I'm staying at the HGI at the airport, so I'll probably have hotel breakfast and then just head to the gate.
You'll be much happier upstairs, believe me. Stepping over your seatmate is not a problem, and if you do your 'business' as the meal service concludes, they probably won't be in lie flat mode yet and there will be space to move around.

The only small drawback to the seats is the flimsy foot divider, so there is a slight risk of accidental 'footsie' when you're both in bed mode, but once you meet your seatmate, you can decide if that is a bad or good risk

I'm no OJ Simpson in a Hertz commercial, but I've rarely had issues stepping out of my window seat in any business class configuration, and only tripped over one Japanese businessman over the years - so I wouldn't fret too much about the aisle access.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by exerda
And some of us disagree.
I myself change my opinion on the seats from flight to flight. I've had occasion to fly on the new LH seat (both the 748 and A330), PMUA 777 (usually to Europe), and PMCO 777 (usually to Delhi) throughout this year. There are pros and cons to each:

LH Pros: More separation between pax (especially in the middle, and ESPECIALLY on the 748 lower middle section), great IFE.
LH Cons: I find the seat uncomfortable and the past couple times felt that it has this weird inflation system that randomly inflates/deflates throughout the flight. Narrow footwells unless in a bulkhead.

PMCO Pros: Pretty comfortable seat, more privacy, good sized footwells if you can get a bulkhead, at least some storage
PMCO Cons: Terrible IFE, location of headset jack behind your head means you're constantly knocking it out

PMUA Pros: Pretty comfortable seat, pretty good IFE
PMUA Cons: Least privacy of any of the seats, no way to get an aisle middle for unrestricted/unbothered aisle access, backwards seating can be weird, no storage

Frankly none of the seats are so much better or worse as to make me pick one carrier over the other; I pick based on flight schedule and cost.

I've had good and bad food and crews on both LH and UA so this is an irrelevant factor for me; neither are consistent enough for me to care.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by villox
I myself change my opinion on the seats from flight to flight. I've had occasion to fly on the new LH seat (both the 748 and A330), PMUA 777 (usually to Europe), and PMCO 777 (usually to Delhi) throughout this year. There are pros and cons to each:

LH Pros: More separation between pax (especially in the middle, and ESPECIALLY on the 748 lower middle section), great IFE.
LH Cons: I find the seat uncomfortable and the past couple times felt that it has this weird inflation system that randomly inflates/deflates throughout the flight. Narrow footwells unless in a bulkhead.

PMCO Pros: Pretty comfortable seat, more privacy, good sized footwells if you can get a bulkhead, at least some storage
PMCO Cons: Terrible IFE, location of headset jack behind your head means you're constantly knocking it out

PMUA Pros: Pretty comfortable seat, pretty good IFE
PMUA Cons: Least privacy of any of the seats, no way to get an aisle middle for unrestricted/unbothered aisle access, backwards seating can be weird, no storage

Frankly none of the seats are so much better or worse as to make me pick one carrier over the other; I pick based on flight schedule and cost.

I've had good and bad food and crews on both LH and UA so this is an irrelevant factor for me; neither are consistent enough for me to care.
And the best part... either way both LH and UA get your money!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
2. The 747-8i is an amazing aircraft. Comfortable, quiet and just a pleasure to ride on.
Last week was my first ride on this plane FRA-IAD. It was wonderful. The LH BF seat is about the same as the sUA GF 777 seat in the amount of real estate you get. I was amazed BF was only about 70% full. I ditched my seatmate for the empty center row in front of me. I've never been on a UA flight under 95% full in BF.

It was a DAY flight, so I preferred the main cabin over the UD. I toured the plane multiple times on the flight. The UD felt a bit like a rest home.

IMO I would pay more for the LH BF seat over the sUA BF seat
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My GF and I have our cheap J run -- Rome for a day, with a Toronto side-trip -- coming up, and I'm hoping to get a quick reality check in case there's something horribly wrong with my plan.

We're flying on AC for most of the trip, and we're each crediting to new A3 accounts. I think P has traditionally mapped onto Z on AC metal, but it's showing P on the AC site, which I think reflects their change to P being a business fare class. Either way, it looks like it will credit at 200% to A3, and we should end up with almost A3 Gold status on the YYZ-FCO segments alone. (There's also a SFO-YYZ segment on AC, which should seal the deal.) Any flaw in this plan?

The UA segments in the reservation (LAX-SFO and YYZ-ORD-SNA) don't accrue anything on A3, becuase stupidity. I think I've heard some reports of success doing UA retro credit claims for segments that earn 0% on the airline to which their credited -- is that the case?

Looking forward to Rome in a day. I think we're gonna be there at the same time as Kacee!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
But wait- my UA915 flight was *AWESOME!*

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Here's to hoping that our trip -- on AC for both TATL legs -- will be equally awesomer-than-UA.
I hate to disappoint you, but the IAD-CDG segment of my "business deal to Europe" trip was not just "awesome" but astounding.

The plane was spotless. The FAs attentive & friendly. The food was great, best I've had in the air. I even had celebrated with my "annual drink" and had a Gin & Tonic, and it was too strong for my tastes, certainly not watered down like I've had in the past. This was UA915 on 7/17.

But wait, there's more. I called up the night before, to see if I could fly out of SFO instead of SJC and avoid the 35 minute connection my original itin had. Not only did I get switched, but onto an International 777 SFO-IAD.

I will say, however, that the biz class in a 777 sucks compared to the configuration in the 767. I don't care that I'm facing backward, but there's a lot less room between passengers and, if you're in the middle-middle, you have to step over someone to use the lav. Food wasn't anything to write home about either.

But UA915 IAD-CDG was the best flight ever for me. This can't possibly be representative of the international product everyone's complaining about. Or if it is, my standards must be ridiculously-low.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I will say, however, that the biz class in a 777 sucks compared to the configuration in the 767.
The 767 is a good plane. You must not have gotten the 2-2-2 floor plan, otherwise you might have a different opinion in respect to the 777 biz seat.

Last edited by FTstudent; Jul 21, 2014 at 11:34 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FTstudent
The 767 is a good plane. You must not have gotten the 2-2-2 floor plan, otherwise you might have a different opinion in respect to the 777 biz seat.
Agreed. That is one cramped BF cabin on the three-class 763.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
But UA915 IAD-CDG was the best flight ever for me. This can't possibly be representative of the international product everyone's complaining about. Or if it is, my standards must be ridiculously-low.
I was with my significant other in 1K/L on IAD-CDG. Same experience, incredible service from the crew. As others have stated, the 2-1-2 is much different than the 2-2-2 configuration. Row D in the 2-1-2 is amazing when traveling alone.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed. That is one cramped BF cabin on the three-class 763.
I think the poster is referring to the pmUA three-class 777 sardine-can C section.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I think the poster is referring to the pmUA three-class 777 sardine-can C section.
Yeah; though the 2-2-2 763 is more cramped than the 2-1-2 config, it's still far ahead of the 777 in terms of spacing. The 2-4-2 config is awful.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Correct (I think)... I believe it was 2-4-2... an OK but not extraordinary configuration for a steam engine, not-so-hot for C-class flying.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wasn't responding to that post. I was responding to this one (which I quoted):

Originally Posted by FTstudent
And btw, I think the three-class 763 is equally bad, unless you are stuck in the middle on the 772, in which case yes, the 772 is even worse. They are better than Y, but still a fairly uncomfortable experience for lie-flat business class.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...an OK but not extraordinary configuration for a steam engine, not-so-hot for C-class flying.
Now that's funny.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wasn't responding to that post. I was responding to this one (which I quoted):...
I think there may have been a mild non sequitur in that post, which threw one of us off.

I'm betting it wasn't me, but I've lost lots of bets in my time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.