Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA/Star Business Deals to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
For that long of a flight, go backwards...a fun experience if you haven't, and it's a more natural sleeping position w/your head higher than your feet.
I don't know what it is, but the backwards seats actually make me feel like I'm in a cradle and just put me to sleep so nicely. Maybe that's it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Through EWR or IAD? Arrived FCO yesterday from EWR on 767-400 ER. Foot wells are really uncomfortable.
SMF-IAD-FCO. I'm not a huge fan of the sUA 772 either. The trade-off is tiny footwells and a slightly harder seat for being packed in like sardines. Not sure there's a clear winner there

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
This is good news as I'm on my very first flight with a window seat on the upper deck of the 747 this morning (I'm usually in Global First when on a 747, but I'm slumming it in BusinessFirst this trip ). I got 15K out to NRT and 15A on the way back, but I'm hoping 14A or K opens up as I heard those are better.
Row 15 is good too. You'll enjoy it. Note that there's no escape out the back on 14K, as the emergency exit bulge fills the space.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

For that long of a flight, go backwards...a fun experience if you haven't, and it's a more natural sleeping position w/your head higher than your feet.
The exact same effect can be accomplished by adjusting the seat recline. I honestly notice no difference whatsoever and I've done both quite a few times over the past year or so.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonehead

The specs ain't minor when people like myself and others posting in this thread book away from specific seating configurations.

Nobody books away from a $1500 BF lie-flat to EU. Not even you.
Truer words never spoken.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Row 15 is good too. You'll enjoy it. Note that there's no escape out the back on 14K, as the emergency exit bulge fills the space
So, I'm typing this at 37,000 feet on my way to NRT from HNL. While the overhead storage is a joke (they took my carry on and hid it somewhere), there is TONS of window side storage and I mean TONS! The plane is also very empty and the aisle seat next to me is free. I took the amenity kit from it

I wonder if the $1500 P fares to Europe are ever on a 747.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I wonder if the $1500 P fares to Europe are ever on a 747.
It was possible to book with a 747 SFO-FRA segment.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by Sykes
It was possible to book with a 747 SFO-FRA segment.
Flying this route on the upper deck next week from the $1500 deal. Certainly hope UA repeats this sale in the future!

Congrats Sykes with your 1000th post!

Last edited by JetSetDave; Jul 15, 2014 at 9:45 pm Reason: added comment
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
I have AMS-FRA-SFO back, with a pair of seats booked in UD 747...it's been awhile since I've been on a UA UD 747...looking forward to it!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mtndave47
Flying this route on the upper deck next week from the $1500 deal. Certainly hope UA repeats this sale in the future!

Congrats Sykes with your 1000th post!
I just flew in upper deck from FRA-ORD on $1400 deal.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just back from our Europe trip, and my observations, SEA ORD FRA FCO IAD SEA

1. Lufthansa has no lounge at ORD - the looks on the faces of the LH customers streaming into the UA Club and realizing they had nothing but cheese, crackers and trail mix to snack on was priceless

2. The 747-8i is an amazing aircraft. Comfortable, quiet and just a pleasure to ride on. The LH business seat is nicer than the PMUA 777 BF seat by far, offers more IFE choices (including full tv sitcom box sets) and much, much, much better food. While I have only myself to blame for wasting 2h of my life watching Snowpiercer (there should be a class action lawsuit against the producers), I found the LH inflight service to be very friendly, warm, and professional. Our LH FA was available at all times during the flight and was constantly checking to see if we needed anything, if we were happy, comfortable, etc. Only downside was a cold breakfast before arrival - it really should be a hot breakfast, but if you have time, the lounge has many more options.

3. The LH lounge at FRA is a huge, expansive place, but it does fill up. The lounge offered a very nice selection of hot and cold food and very friendly service, even one of the desk agents insisted on loaning us her personal laptop charger as we did not have a plug converter. I did find the lounge on the warm side, though....sort of reminded me of the lounge and showers at ANA, but maybe it's just Americans who freeze ourselves with AC?

4. Connecting flight on LH in their Euro-biz product was a mixed bag. The seats are horrible...3x3 with the middle open (this is NOT business class!) and a slimline design that is as comfortable as a wooden park bench. However, we did receive a very nice cold plate that was leaps and bounds over a UA snack plate, and it included truffles and an ice cream sandwich before arrival. Staff again were very nice, pleasant, friendly and professional - the service appeared to be totally consistent between the first flight, lounge and second flight - none of this US carrier (and especially UA) mixed bag of good, bad, indifferent, friendly, mean, etc.

5. FCO to IAD was a PMUA 777. The seats were terrible and much worse than the LH 747-8i seats, or the PMCO 777 BF seat. The catering was ample, but uninspired, the meat was way overcooked and the ice cream already soft at serving time. Inflight snacks were spartan (leftover cheese plates, some potato chips, cookies, no sandwiches or anything substantial). FA service was professional but cold, definitely not friendly. After the meal service, no FA was seen or heard from again until the pre-arrival meal. My guess is our upcoming SFO NRT flight will offer the very same western choices next month. Since I could see into the GF cabin, their meal was essentially the same save for a slight-larger-than-the-nut-ramekin bowl of soup.

For $1,500 each, I thought we received tremendous value all around, but for someone paying north of $5k for this routing on UA, I wouldn't hesitate to state there is no correlation between price and value vs taking LH's new J product for the same cost. UA is just not keeping up, nor does it appear to even try.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen

1. Lufthansa has no lounge at ORD - the looks on the faces of the LH customers streaming into the UA Club and realizing they had nothing but cheese, crackers and trail mix to snack on was priceless

2. The 747-8i is an amazing aircraft. Comfortable, quiet and just a pleasure to ride on. The LH business seat is nicer than the PMUA 777 BF seat by far, offers more IFE choices (including full tv sitcom box sets) and much, much, much better food. While I have only myself to blame for wasting 2h of my life watching Snowpiercer (there should be a class action lawsuit against the producers), I found the LH inflight service to be very friendly, warm, and professional. Our LH FA was available at all times during the flight and was constantly checking to see if we needed anything, if we were happy, comfortable, etc. Only downside was a cold breakfast before arrival - it really should be a hot breakfast, but if you have time, the lounge has many more options.

3. The LH lounge at FRA is a huge, expansive place, but it does fill up. The lounge offered a very nice selection of hot and cold food and very friendly service, even one of the desk agents insisted on loaning us her personal laptop charger as we did not have a plug converter. I did find the lounge on the warm side, though....sort of reminded me of the lounge and showers at ANA, but maybe it's just Americans who freeze ourselves with AC?

4. Connecting flight on LH in their Euro-biz product was a mixed bag. The seats are horrible...3x3 with the middle open (this is NOT business class!) and a slimline design that is as comfortable as a wooden park bench. However, we did receive a very nice cold plate that was leaps and bounds over a UA snack plate, and it included truffles and an ice cream sandwich before arrival. Staff again were very nice, pleasant, friendly and professional - the service appeared to be totally consistent between the first flight, lounge and second flight - none of this US carrier (and especially UA) mixed bag of good, bad, indifferent, friendly, mean, etc.

5. FCO to IAD was a PMUA 777. The seats were terrible and much worse than the LH 747-8i seats, or the PMCO 777 BF seat. The catering was ample, but uninspired, the meat was way overcooked and the ice cream already soft at serving time. Inflight snacks were spartan (leftover cheese plates, some potato chips, cookies, no sandwiches or anything substantial). FA service was professional but cold, definitely not friendly. After the meal service, no FA was seen or heard from again until the pre-arrival meal. My guess is our upcoming SFO NRT flight will offer the very same western choices next month. Since I could see into the GF cabin, their meal was essentially the same save for a slight-larger-than-the-nut-ramekin bowl of soup.

For $1,500 each, I thought we received tremendous value all around, but for someone paying north of $5k for this routing on UA, I wouldn't hesitate to state there is no correlation between price and value vs taking LH's new J product for the same cost. UA is just not keeping up, nor does it appear to even try.
I really enjoyed your report on the 747-8i. I'm beyond excited to fly on this aircraft. I'll be on it in just over 24 hours! I was pretty disappointed when I learned that LH doesn't use the international terminal at ORD where you have LX and I think one other lounge. I'm highly considering paying the $25 to use the Hilton gym. I figure getting in a good workout should help me fall asleep since the flight is so early, and I certainly don't want to fill up on the United Club snacks and be too full for dinner. The cold breakfast is surprising, but I guess it could be a good trade-off for an extra half hour of sleep. Which LH lounge are you referring to? I'm staying in FRA for 24 hours, so I'm planning to stop by the Welcome Lounge when I get there. I've read good reports of that lounge. Is that where you were, or did you stay airside for your FCO connection?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I really enjoyed your report on the 747-8i. I'm beyond excited to fly on this aircraft. I'll be on it in just over 24 hours! I was pretty disappointed when I learned that LH doesn't use the international terminal at ORD where you have LX and I think one other lounge. I'm highly considering paying the $25 to use the Hilton gym. I figure getting in a good workout should help me fall asleep since the flight is so early, and I certainly don't want to fill up on the United Club snacks and be too full for dinner. The cold breakfast is surprising, but I guess it could be a good trade-off for an extra half hour of sleep. Which LH lounge are you referring to? I'm staying in FRA for 24 hours, so I'm planning to stop by the Welcome Lounge when I get there. I've read good reports of that lounge. Is that where you were, or did you stay airside for your FCO connection?
I forgot to mention that we sat on the 748i upper deck - did you book a seat upstairs? It's well worth it, almost like flying a private jet. The 748i has many of the design features of the 787 including the mood lighting (which also lights up the stairs) and no-touch toilet flush.

Although we had time, we did not exit airside and go to the welcome lounge, and the Senator lounge was probably just as good. When you arrive, just follow the signs for the Lufthansa Lounges and go to the Senator Lounge (not the Business Lounge) and they should let you in - do you have a business class connection from FRA?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...LH in their Euro-biz product was a mixed bag. The seats are horrible...3x3 with the middle open (this is NOT business class!)...
Generally, intra-Europe on most airlines, it is. At least you didn't have to endure Iberia's food...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

I have noticed many of the same incredulous looks when seated at the bar and told that in order to get their drinkable beer, they need to fork over a credit card.

Thanks for the detailed report on your experience.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I forgot to mention that we sat on the 748i upper deck - did you book a seat upstairs? It's well worth it, almost like flying a private jet. The 748i has many of the design features of the 787 including the mood lighting (which also lights up the stairs) and no-touch toilet flush.

Although we had time, we did not exit airside and go to the welcome lounge, and the Senator lounge was probably just as good. When you arrive, just follow the signs for the Lufthansa Lounges and go to the Senator Lounge (not the Business Lounge) and they should let you in - do you have a business class connection from FRA?
I kept going back and forth between upper deck window and main deck center seats where you and your seatmate both have aisle access. I went with 86A (UD window). I just checked the seatmap, and it looks like 86B has been filled since last time I checked. It was the last open UD seat.

I don't think I'll have access to the Senator Lounge since I'm not *A Gold in which case I'll take the Welcome Lounge over the Business Lounge. I'm flying from FRA in LH EuroBiz the next day, so I think I'll have access to the Business Lounge then. My flight is pretty early, and I'm staying at the HGI at the airport, so I'll probably have hotel breakfast and then just head to the gate.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...FCO to IAD was a PMUA 777. The seats were terrible and much worse than the LH 747-8i seats, or the PMCO 777 BF seat....
Thank you. I keep telling folks this, but a few people still won't buy it for some reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.