Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA/Star Business Deals to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adrocky
I found a $1742 TK biz class fare to BCN on hipmunk. When it took me to the airfare.com booking site, I couldn't determine the fare class it books into:

29 Jun: LAX-IST-BCN
6 Jul: BCN-IST-LAX

Is this a "deal" regardless of mile earning potential?
Yes.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Chevelter
Two months ago my spouse and I and two friends bought tickets from the Midwest to Paris at the end of August for $1,435 each, then I used 8 GPU to upgrade us all to business class both ways. Searching just now, I find the business class seats (not on the same flights; two stops instead of one) on sale for $1,558 out of Moline or $1,604 out of Cedar Rapids. I'm really not upset about buying too soon, because who knew this sale would happen, I'm just glad we got GPU upgrades before the sale hit because it's now going to be much more difficult with lots of seats gone.
I wonder if an agent would do a GG BUYUP (or whatever it's called), thereby not charging the change fee, and redeposit the GPUs. Worth a call...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I wonder if an agent would do a GG BUYUP (or whatever it's called), thereby not charging the change fee, and redeposit the GPUs. Worth a call...
I think OP not only has to buy up to P, but has to change origination to get the fare, which would incur the change fee.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
And remember that UA hubs don't work as starting points; think nearby options.
Except there were a few reports out of NYC airports.
Specifically I found nothing out of LAX and SFO. But in L.A., BUR and SNA are just some 45 mins from LAX.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think OP not only has to buy up to P, but has to change origination to get the fare, which would incur the change fee.
It still might be worth the change fee - $300 plus a small fare differential for two GPUs, plus the 50% PQM and RDM mileage bonus. Plus better protection in IRROPS and more flexibility for SDC.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:53 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mg0901
question: purchased UA p class flight LUB - AMS. im united silver. what % qualifying miles am i looking at? what about just miles in general?
Qualifying miles have nothing to do with status. If you're on UA metal, P fares earn 150% EQM and 150% redeemable miles. You will get a 25% bonus on base miles for your Silver status.

So, round numbers, a 4000-mile flight for you will earn:

6,000 EQMs (4000 X 1.50)

7,000 RDMs (4000 X 1.50 + 4000 X 0.25)
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:13 am

Depending on your schedule, you might be able to take the earlier SFO-MOD flight that does an immediate turnaround for the return to SFO

Originally Posted by jasonp622
I thought these were dead a few days ago, so glad I checked this out. Just grabbed MOD-CDG for my wife's birthday in August
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Depending on your schedule, you might be able to take the earlier SFO-MOD flight that does an immediate turnaround for the return to SFO
If you live in the east bay, MOD is a super easy drive so long as you're not westbound in the morning/eastbound in the evening. Takes me about 75 minutes. 580 to 132.

From Oakland, arguably easier than either SJC or SFO at rush hour.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: United Gold
I was actually able to modify one of my Central America mileage runs and turn it into a Europe one with lie-flat all the way around.

I really hope they end this sale soon because I have an incredible urge to buy more.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I was actually able to modify one of my Central America mileage runs and turn it into a Europe one with lie-flat all the way around.

I really hope they end this sale soon because I have an incredible urge to buy more.
This is worse then being addicted to heroin! Bought four trips and if I buy anymore, I will be living in the homeless shelter either because my wife kicked me out of the house or I've spent all of my 401K on P fares..Wonder why OW has stayed out of the fray?

...and it looks like y our wish came true!

Last edited by boss315; Apr 4, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Might be disappearing again... several I was looking at (no, not seriously--I've booked enough!) went from $1500 on Google Flights to $5500-$6000 when using the "book it" link.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Looks like it might be over again. I was just looking for a 2nd trip, and prices have gone back up to $5k.

Probably for the best. Too tempting.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Club/Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
It may be gone - I searched a couple of hours ago for both ATL - FCO and MSP - FCO and the $1500 was there. Now it's over $5k. Same with AMS. Hope it's a fluke and comes back.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Looks like it might be over again. I was just looking for a 2nd trip, and prices have gone back up to $5k.

Probably for the best. Too tempting.
Just vanished for norcal departures for me.

A bit OT, but a friend searching xSEA mentioned FI to AMS was about the same price for late august and early September (later than the UA stuff was)... those might still be around. UPDATE: friend confirmed UA xSEA is gone.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
shizzznits..... i was in the middle of booking my first now I can't get anything! damnit I got 4 seats and couln't complete! damn.... all gone I can't see anything from midwest or hawaii or so cal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.