Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:06 am

Anyone know how UA's doing on its promise to have wifi on all UA metal by 12/31/14 (as promised during its launch PR)?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Not a chance, but that said, I doubt they could add it any faster than they are currently doing now. They are doing something like 17 aircraft at a time. They also have a lot of aircraft.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by finkie
Anyone know how UA's doing on its promise to have wifi on all UA metal by 12/31/14 (as promised during its launch PR)?
Revised completion dates are shown on http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx
Significant parts of the fleet are done but the 737-700 and some International aircraft are behind.

New target including selected UX aircraft is July 2015.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Has anyone had any experience with the pmCO 777-200ERs? Last I heard they were having problems with it.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: United 1K, 1M
wifi is a joke

On my last four flights with Wi-Fi available, I tried repeatedly to login. I got error messages in every case, so gave up. But I also got a bill for every attempt. I have applied for a refund, but so far (weeks later) no action. Has anyone else had similar/different experience?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:33 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Last Sunday I flew IAH-FRA on a UA 763 with Wi-Fi (one of the few it seems) and it started out fine, but over the northeastern US it cut out the rest of the trip.

I was moderately shocked and certainly pleased that within 10 hours of landing I received an e-mail from UA noting they were automatically processing a refund of my 16.99$ due to Wi-Fi problems they detected on my flight.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mdspadeccom
On my last four flights with Wi-Fi available, I tried repeatedly to login. I got error messages in every case, so gave up. But I also got a bill for every attempt. I have applied for a refund, but so far (weeks later) no action. Has anyone else had similar/different experience?
We're still waiting on our refund for EWR-HKG a week and a half ago. Going to call the CC company to just dispute it.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Every time I have tried to use the wifi it has been horrible.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Every time I have tried to use the wifi it has been horrible.
My experience has been mixed. Some flights it works very well. Some flights it is virtually unusable. Sort of like the entire UA experience in a nutshell - no consistency.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by mdspadeccom
Same in terms of repeated errors right after entering CC info with the next page repeatedly freezing or saying service unavailable, only to find out upon landing that I was billed for every attempt. Have been procrastinating applying for refunds. What a PITA.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What I can't fathom is the delay between reaching 10K and getting a working WiFi connection. I hear the 10K ding, the FA announces we can use large electronics and WiFi, and then there's typically a 10 minute delay until I can log in and enter my info.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
IAH-LAS: Decmeber 1: Never came on and "Connection Error" kept coming up. Even if something is BETA, you mAke sure that it works before you test it.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Catbert10
What I can't fathom is the delay between reaching 10K and getting a working WiFi connection.
Satellite/antenna signal acquisition.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Satellite/antenna signal acquisition.
If satellite TV, or GPS, worked that poorly a whole lot of companies would be outof business.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Terminalator
If satellite TV, ..
neither the home or the satellite are moving in relationship to each other. On initial registration, home satellite TV can take a few minutes to sync up.

Originally Posted by Terminalator
... or GPS, ...
GPS has 30+ satellite options and only needs 4 to be acquire and it can switch satellites dynamical, just like cellular phones while moving.

For the case of airlines using satellites, there is only 1 satellite option and the moving aircraft is twisting and turning -- a complete different situation. Additionally, due to proprietary content, the aircraft needs to be registered and acknowledged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.