Wiki Posts
Search

Dearborn res may be closing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Dearborn res may be closing

NOT a joke as it's not at all funny. Heard that the Dearborn res office may be closing down sooner rather than later and the agents will be shifted to home-based. Very disappointing to hear. The Premier agents at Dearborn and Honolulu are the best -- they're one of the reasons I've held on to UA. Really bummed to hear they're closing down that office. Great group of agents and will be sorely missed!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:11 am

What is wrong with this if true? The agents get to keep their jobs and work in their PJ's.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
NOT a joke as it's not at all funny. Heard that the Dearborn res office may be closing down sooner rather than later and the agents will be shifted to home-based. Very disappointing to hear. The Premier agents at Dearborn and Honolulu are the best -- they're one of the reasons I've held on to UA. Really bummed to hear they're closing down that office. Great group of agents and will be sorely missed!
So, the agents get the benefit of flexible working conditions, remain employed with full salary, and ...... ? The bad news again?

This impacts customers poorly... how?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not everyone likes working from home. And there is something to be said for having colleagues nearby to ask for help when you need it or other social interaction. And the employee would need to have somewhere at home they can set up to do the work.

I don't think it is completely bad, but it isn't all good, either.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Not everyone likes working from home. And there is something to be said for having colleagues nearby to ask for help when you need it or other social interaction. And the employee would need to have somewhere at home they can set up to do the work.

Another one for the good column....

No longer have to fight Ford WHQ employees for local food, traffic, etc.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12

Understood, but if they really enjoy working in a call center, I'm sure they can continue to look elsewhere while they remain gainfully employed at home. Much better than the reverse!

As for colleagues - I'm sure there's plenty of IM/chat/phone/conferencing options to remain in touch. A team meeting once every X (months, weeks, years, days, whatever) wouldn't be a bad thing either, but given the little amount of information here, I don't think we can judge United's telecommuting procedures.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm one of those who cannot focus when working at home. Too many distractions
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
I'm sure you'd have no trouble concentrating when on the phone with a customer.

The main purpose of Dearborn RZ in the late PMUA days was primarily processing refund/reticketing requests from united.com and issuing paper Flight Value Coupons, something that the old united.com and Apollo could not do automatically.

Since SHARES can do this automatically (one of the few features it has that Apollo did not) and has a travel bank capability. There's no need for them to have a physical office to do this.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm one of those who cannot focus when working at home. Too many distractions
It takes time. When I first started working from home (one day a week), I had that issue, but after a month or so, I found I was much more efficient, and eventually ramped up to three days a week at home.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Are they taking pay cuts as a result? (due to not having to commute to work)
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Premier agents at Dearborn and Honolulu are the best -- they're one of the reasons I've held on to UA.
The 'faux 1K' call center in DTW should never be mentioned in the same sentence with HNL.

I've heard from multiple ex-CON premier-line home-based TPA agents that they had to take a pay cut when that center closed. Wonder if that will apply to DTW?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by hobo13
....I've heard from multiple ex-CON premier-line home-based TPA agents that they had to take a pay cut when that center closed. Wonder if that will apply to DTW?
----------------------

Probably, yes, as they are also IAM union members (contract work rules/wages) and there is a small difference (lower) hourly wage for home-based agents. I wish I could work in my pajamas but that would look pretty silly at the ticket counter ! Hope they all get options and not lose any jobs.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Apr 1, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
UPD: Dearborn res not scheduled for closing

Glad to report that initial reports of Dearborn's closing are premature. Three separate agents have indicated they were just rumors. MOD: can you change title to "UPD: Dearborn res not scheduled for closing"?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
I've heard from multiple ex-CON premier-line home-based TPA agents that they had to take a pay cut when that center closed. Wonder if that will apply to DTW?
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Probably, yes, as they are also IAM union members (contract work rules/wages) and there is a small difference (lower) hourly wage for home-based agents. I wish I could work in my pajamas but that would look pretty silly at the ticket counter ! Hope they all get options and not lose any jobs.
Have confirmed this with a few of the TPA agents as well. No money spent driving to work, no rush hour traffic, can take care of kids and other things while home, and can literally make a sandwich whenever they need. But in lieu of this, like others have mentioned, they have no one to talk to or for support. Plus I've had a couple agents say that it gets lonely and they like being around other people. It's not like their "chatty Cathy" personality gave it away at all...

But it has been my experience that the at-home agents are traditionally very knowledgeable and don't need a support desk/co-worker/supervisor to take care of things unless it's a VERY serious or random issue.

Glad to report that initial reports of Dearborn's closing are premature. Three separate agents have indicated they were just rumors. MOD: can you change title to "UPD: Dearborn res not scheduled for closing"?
If we can put this to rest, then I support this move ^
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
How long has that facility been open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.