Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I don't have much of an audience on FB or Twitter.. Where are the heavy hitters with lots of Twitter followers? Like @WanderngAramean or @TheMrPickles ? Can we get a mention on @FlyerTalk ?
Since you are in Chicago I would call up your local newspaper and ask to speak to the reporter that covers Travel / UA - and send them a link to this thread. It's truly unfortunate that it has to come to this but it seems that there is no other way to do it... There was also a reporter on here a few days back if that doesn't work (but she was based in MSP)... On twitter I would suggest you stick to facts in your tweet and resist the urge to make a "sensational" tweet...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Since you are in Chicago I would call up your local newspaper and ask to speak to the reporter that covers Travel / UA - and send them a link to this thread. It's truly unfortunate that it has to come to this but it seems that there is no other way to do it... There was also a reporter on here a few days back if that doesn't work (but she was based in MSP)... On twitter I would suggest you stick to facts in your tweet and resist the urge to make a "sensational" tweet...
Chicago Tribune has been contacted.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:09 pm

Checking my flight twice a day, it will connect with flight from pek to home. No seat assignment on CA so nervous
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Unbelievable response by United. They have a lot of capacity to China, and most of the time there is space in GlobalFirst anyway.

Inconceivable that they don't open up award space at saver level on their own metal to take care of this....
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by litesleeper
You can add me to the list of victims. Until I came across this thread I thought I was the only one. I had a trip to the Philippines that included Air China on the return. I received that same Chinese email confirming my cancellation, which of course I didn't do. I called UA right away, but they weren't able to do anything for me. the agent was very kind, and she looked for different options, but said no availability for reward travel anymore. She added that the cancellation came via the website, from the same place I booked the trip (my office). I paid the $200 to recredit the miles. I have asked United to waive the $200 but I'm not optimistic. I know I'm completely not understanding of human behavior, but why do some people have to mess with others' accounts? I just don't get it. sigh.
I think this must be a hack, not merely guessing. It seems like the IP is reporting as the same IP as booked it, something that in most cases would be very hard for a hacker to accomplish.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Rauth
Contact a lawyer, have them contact UA. Its like ....ing magic.
Ah, that's the solution. And cost effective, I'm sure.

NOT.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Unbelievable response by United. They have a lot of capacity to China, and most of the time there is space in GlobalFirst anyway.

Inconceivable that they don't open up award space at saver level on their own metal to take care of this....
This. Why should people like ordbkk be penalized for UA's mistake? If there isn't award space on UA metal at least on the correct days, they should be opening it for him.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
Sad communication from UA nothing left to do... just set my calendar to check existing res every morning and evening for next 3 months.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I think this must be a hack, not merely guessing. It seems like the IP is reporting as the same IP as booked it, something that in most cases would be very hard for a hacker to accomplish.
I think the IP thing is a flaw in part of SHARES PNR history where only the IP address that was used to create the booking online is logged.

To access the details of the IP addresses that made the subsequent cancellation, one must check the logs of the web server (which requires someone in the IT security department).

All the PNR shows is that the booking was cancelled by someone not logged in to united.com
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
No dog in this race, but is this happening on award reservations only, or also on paid F flights?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I don't know exactly what you're suggesting, but by far the most plausible explanation for why UA is claiming that the reservation was canceled from the same IP address that it was made from is simply that they are wrong.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
I don't know exactly what you're suggesting, but by far the most plausible explanation for why UA is claiming that the reservation was canceled from the same IP address that it was made from is simply that they are wrong.
Indeed. That's definitely the occam's razor explanation.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
This. Why should people like ordbkk be penalized for UA's mistake? If there isn't award space on UA metal at least on the correct days, they should be opening it for him.
I want to make it clear: United did find award space on their own metal and booked us there. (The only concession they made was giving it to me at the original redemption cost which is 15k/person less than the current rates).

I am grateful for at least having seats on a plane. My beef at this point is that the only available United flight leaves so early we must take additional time off from work, book an additional day of hotel, and obtain Chinese Visas, all of which is time and money we feel United should be responsible for. Not to mention, we booked this trip specifically to experience Air China & ANA, which offer an entirely different level of service than United (As United's own award chart concedes). My fiancee is Asian, and she had already reviewed the menu for our flights and was looking forward to the entire first class experience, which includes caviar. Finding out we've been downgraded to United was a disappointment to say the least.

This has turned what was supposed to be a special trip for us into a major headache.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... My beef at this point is that the only available United flight leaves so early we must take additional time off from work, book an additional day of hotel, and obtain Chinese Visas, all of which is time and money we feel United should be responsible for. ...
you can be assured you will not get cash from UA and no compensation for lost work time. You may get some kind of future travel voucher at best and that's not for sure.

..... Not to mention, we booked this trip specifically to experience Air China & ANA, which offer an entirely different level of service than United (As United's own award chart concedes). My fiancee is Asian, and she had already reviewed the menu for our flights and was looking forward to the entire first class experience, which includes caviar. Finding out we've been downgraded to United was a disappointment to say the least.

This has turned what was supposed to be a special trip for us into a major headache.
cancelling is an option. While understanding the disappoint, don't let the disappointment spoil the trip / flight. It will still be a nice flight compared the way most people travel.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
you can be assured you will not get cash from UA and no compensation for lost work time. You may get some kind of future travel voucher at best and that's not for sure.
A future travel voucher is fine. Even better would be to put us on the flights we booked and paid for before their website let somebody else cancel our tickets. Why should our plans be upended due to either a bug in their system, or a security hole in their system?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
cancelling is an option. While understanding the disappoint, don't let the disappointment spoil the trip / flight. It will still be a nice flight compared the way most people travel.
Cancelling is only an option if we want to forfeit the nonrefundable reservations we've made.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.