Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
Maybe they can allocate a special phone number for those that are impacted so they can keep track of it all in one place.
They already have all the information. Based on the data that others have provided, the cancellation email is coming in Chinese because the cancellation is being done on UA's China website. It should be fairly easy for them to harvest the set of affect passengers from their own data based on the PNR a) being cancelled from the China website, b) containing at least one premium-cabin Air China flight, and c) the MP account not being from China.

That would capture almost all of the affected itineraries with very few false positives.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by kb1992
This is correct.

If you cancel a reservation, and re-book later, you'll get an email from UA.

If you cancel and redeposit miles, then no email.

Apparently CA decides to cancel our F/C awards.

No surprising that Air China Economy Awards are not canceled?
I don't believe it's CA (the company) who canceled the bookings.

Please note that the award tickets issued by CA itself have not been canceled, nor did anyone holding Aeroplan or US Airways-issued tickets being impacted.

The best explanation so far should be that some travel agents/brokers who illegally sell award tickets in China accidentally found the UA website's loophole, and tried to free up the O/I class seats on CA international flights so that they could sell the seats.

Last edited by FlyZ46; Apr 18, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by tom911
Were you happy with the alternate flights (or do you have alternate flights in place yet)? UA really needs to step up and post a public statement on this. Maybe they can allocate a special phone number for those that are impacted so they can keep track of it all in one place.
I'm trying to stay positive. The new flights will get me there and back, our hotel and other ground reservations are still good.

On the other hand, I had to spend 3+ hours on the phone with United, and had escalate to a "service director" numerous times to get what I did, and it requires us to request more time off from work. Replacing CA/NH flights with UA feels like a big step down... We were really looking forward a specific experience and now that opportunity is gone (being unable to afford it now that award tickets have doubled in price)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
If that's the case, what possible motive could anyone (CA or rogue TA) have for cancelling confirmed reservations using pilfered PNR codes? What's the point?
Perhaps there is a person (or persons) inside the system at the airline reselling these bookings to others for profit.

Understand this would be an unauthorized venture, but what would prevent someone in China from engaging in such a corrupt enterprise?

V/r,

-Cyborg

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 18, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Replacing CA/NH flights with UA feels like a big step down...
It is, according to their own award chart.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by zhuzheng
tried to free up the O/I class seats on CA international flights so that they could sell the seats.
But when O/I awards are cancelled, CA doesn't always put the inventory back. So how do they benefit?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kb1992
But when O/I awards are cancelled, CA doesn't always put the inventory back. So how do they benefit?
It needn't happen every time to be profitable. @:-)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by BearX220
If that's the case, what possible motive could anyone (CA or rogue TA) have for cancelling confirmed reservations using pilfered PNR codes? What's the point?.
Back to my theory - award ticket scalping
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
this is really worrying me; I have an F award booked for my parents to PEK ... so far still looking good on united.com and I have seats ... hope there won't be a problem.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by lewende
Back to my theory - award ticket scalping
Ah, I was wondering how certain travel agents in China were able to offer roundtrips to the US in UA G/F for around US$2500 round-trip. I didn't think things were that bad at UA but you never know...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by channa
It is, according to their own award chart.
I actually discussed this with the (less than impressive) United rep I spoke to last night. When she found C space on UA to replace my F space on CA, she acted like it was a big upgrade and I should be thrilled. I told her I like United, but I prefer to have my CA/NH tickets reinstated. She got quite upset with me and told me if I felt that way, I should close my account and book with Cathay Pacific instead! That should have been my clue to hang up and dial again.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
this is really worrying me; I have an F award booked for my parents to PEK ... so far still looking good on united.com and I have seats ... hope there won't be a problem.
Maybe it's worth calling a few agents and tell them you're concerned somebody will cancel your reservation and ask to put a lock on it. They told me it wasn't possible, but I believe somebody there must know how to do it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
She got quite upset with me and told me if I felt that way, I should close my account and book with Cathay Pacific instead! That should have been my clue to hang up and dial again.
Or perhaps ask to speak with a supervisor, so they could review what she told you on the recording. If in fact she told you to close your FF account and fly with another carrier, I am sure that is not UA's policy or any other carriers. I hope you got her name. Report this to UA management. Very poor customer service.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
wow this thread has me ultra worried about an upcoming air china trip in less than a month. I have a CA-OZ-UA flight. A cancellation of the 3 business class, 1 first class reservation would be devastating for all the time i have put into the hotels, tours, ect...

If anyone figures out how to lock this ticket let us know!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I don't have a dog in this hunt but has anyone contacted United corporate and/or UA Insider directly and if yes, more importantly, has anyone heard anything back? The longer United remains silent/mute on this makes me wonder that there is in fact a big/bigger problem and United is currently in some sort of damage control mode*

*and yes, I'm a conspiracy theorist ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.