Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by milepig
But why would someone cancel a random award ITIN? To what purpose beyond spite? It is possible to cancel one and then immediately grab the seats for yourself? I never had the impression that the seats would automatically go back into the award inventory. But if they do, and if UA cares, it should be possible to go into the system to look for a cancellation and then an immediate booking on another account.
The second booking is probably not through UA. @:-)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The second booking is probably not through UA. @:-)
Well, duh! Let's assume for a moment that cancelled Air China award reservations go back into award inventory automatically and immediately. It may not work that way on UA, but it does on some carriers, so it's not unreasonable to think that it does on Air China.

Imagine yourself being a premium cabin broker (er, "Discount Business/First Class Travel Agent") in China that has access a pool of miles on Air China (or any of its partners). When you have a client that wants to buy a ticket, you find someone on that flight with an award booked through UA (through your secret contact on the inside). Armed with the PNR and passenger name, you go to the Chinese website that's been talked about where you can cancel a reservation with just PNR and last name, and do so. You then immediately book the freed-up award seat using miles in whatever currency you have access to, then sell that ticket to your client.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1k
Update: I've been on the phone with United again this morning for about an hour. I am lucky to have a very professional and sympathetic agent this time. She sounds just as sick over this whole thing as I am, and she's currently speaking with her Air China counterparts. Not surprisingly, they are being less than helpful. My chances look bleak.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:59 am

Maybe Air China should be kicked out of Star Alliance if found guilty of this.

Im seeing a lot of threads of this based on Air China. Sounds like Smisek needs to call Air China's CEO to see what is going on. Sadly that won't happen. I say kick them out of Star Alliance.

Wow, seeing a lot of these. Someone has to figure out why all of these are getting cancelled?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Thumbs down

OP, I feel your frustration and sorry to hear that.

People who currently have any award reservations that contain CA flight need to babysit them everyday. If possible, try to change the CA segments to other carriers. I have 2 upcoming award reservations that contains CA flights. I guess I will search for other carriers that flies the same route to or out of China. Sad!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
United has lax security, allowing customer reservations to be canceled. United is aware of their security problems and lets them continue. United looks the other way when this happens. And who benefits when customers have to fly United instead of other carriers? United....... They're not a "victim" here, and they should not be let off the hook when they are complacent about fraud.
Unless you have some conclusive proof that this is via the UA website, best to fix your issues and move on versus rampant speculation.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:17 am

It doesn't work that way on Air China, either. Cancelling an award ticket doesn't automatically open an I or O seat.

Originally Posted by Steve M
Well, duh! Let's assume for a moment that cancelled Air China award reservations go back into award inventory automatically and immediately. It may not work that way on UA, but it does on some carriers, so it's not unreasonable to think that it does on Air China.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Update: I've been on the phone with United again this morning for about an hour. I am lucky to have a very professional and sympathetic agent this time. She sounds just as sick over this whole thing as I am, and she's currently speaking with her Air China counterparts. Not surprisingly, they are being less than helpful. My chances look bleak.
I'd file a DOT complaint and let the Feds start looking into this crap.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedopsis
It doesn't work that way on Air China, either. Cancelling an award ticket doesn't automatically open an I or O seat.
Well, Air China should have logs that would show the origination of the cancellation. Whether or not they care enough to go looking is another matter, but UA and/or *Alliance should be able to exert some pressure.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I'd file a DOT complaint and let the Feds start looking into this crap.
What DOT regulation did UA violate?

This "by any means necessary" kind of thinking leads to poor outcomes for those who legitimately need to contact DOT (I did a year ago for baggage charges by TG on a UA ticket).

Last edited by aacharya; Apr 18, 2014 at 10:31 am

Programs: United Gold
It'll be a while before I book any Air China awards.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
OP, I feel your frustration and sorry to hear that.

People who currently have any award reservations that contain CA flight need to babysit them everyday.
Thanks. And I'm not sure babysitting will help. I was working when the cancellation email came in, so I had a United rep on the phone within a few minutes of the cancellation and there was already nothing she could do.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I don't think any of this is a security item or a hack. Same for the poster above to YYZ.

Remember that CO's systems are so bad, the logs and history viewable to the reps in SHARES is an utter mess. They just see something and blame someone and that's it. Since they can't provide a real answer as to what happened, it's easy enough to say the customer cancelled it.

Recall we had Asiana stuff dropping a while back where tickets weren't getting being sent over properly, and the dropped segments issue has been a problem for CO and SHARES for a long as I can remember (at least a decade). I've lost AF and DL segments while CO was in SkyTeam, LX segments while in Star, and so on.

In my LX situation several years ago, CO blamed LX for cancelling my award F space, and only when I was able to talk with a LX supervisor, were they able to detail the transactions and provide the request where CO's system sent the cancellation request, to which LX responded. Then, and only then, was I able to convince CO to reinstate the reservation, though no award space existed, they had to pony up for paid A class.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's something related to a minor schedule change where SHARES isn't acknowledging it correctly or something, causing a mismatch and a drop by CA. CO's logging visible to the agent doesn't have the detail necessary to figure out exactly what happened.

Heck, I had a situation a couple weeks ago where an agent rebooked a flight after we'd already been checked in and rebooked, and after pushing back with 1K Voice to get an answer after they BS'ed me with a guess, they came back and said they could not do a detailed analysis. And this was on their own metal!

Bottom line, SHARES is awful, nobody knows what's going on, and I wouldn't believe anything any UA tells you, unless it's coming from the UA Insider level, as they seem to have access to resources that can figure stuff out rather than BS you.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220
Who already knows those things? Air China. Who has a motive to retrieve J/F inventory to sell at higher prices? Air China. Who comes from a business culture of indifference to consumers? Air.... c'mon, do the math. This probably isn't a "hack," but a brutish form of inventory recapture by CA. The kind of thing UA occasionally does right at the gate when people flying on award tickets are downgraded for FAMs or other reasons.

I don't know what the hell United can do about it, either, beyond breaking open more inventory on alternative own-metal flights to reaccommodate, which it looks like they are not doing.
If Air China intentionally canceled this reservation, they could make the cancellation directly through their internal system (Travelsky) and pass the information to UA. In addition, Air China could not cancel the ANA segment in the reservation. However, the fact was that the OP received a Chinese cancellation email from United and UA agents thought the whole reservation was canceled by the OP/passenger, which proved the reservation was actually canceled through United's Chinese website (https://www.united.com/web/zh-CN/default.aspx) by accessing the reservation with the PNR and last name.

There have been several similar "incidents" reported in Chinese forums recently. All the canceled award tickets were issued by UA and contained CA flight(s). Award tickets issued by every other *A carrier remained intact (including those issued by CA itself). This is not a coincidence since only United.com (among *A carriers) allows anyone to cancel an award booking online by simply entering the PNR and passenger's last name.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Unless you have some conclusive proof that this is via the UA website, best to fix your issues and move on versus rampant speculation.
I'm sorry, what exactly did I say that was speculation? That a security issue exists is a fact. That United is aware is a fact. That United benefits from passengers using United miles on United flights instead of others is a fact.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.