Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
OP - follow the advice on here and call UA today and asked to speak to a supervisor / fraud department. Tell them you did not cancel the reservation and that you know of several other people in the exact same situation (you can reference this board) whose Air China flights have been cancelled and received a Chinese email information them. Hopefully UA Insider has been watching this - there is too much of this happening to be chance...

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 18, 2014 at 7:18 am Reason: Removed response to deleted quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:18 am

Reservation Cancelled == Hacked?

I am not seeing the correlation.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by DelrayChris

When someone else goes in to your reservation and cancels it without your permission or knowledge what word would you use?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Call back and request to be connected to the fraud department (may need to wait until nominal business hours), escalate to a supervisor if needed.
I already got a hold of UA Insider on Monday (04/14) and right now UA web security dept. is look at this, but no updates so far.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
As I said in the other thread, I'd guess UA or Air China is the cause of these cancelations, rather than some rogue hacker canceling award flights.
Mind elaborating on this? Why UA and CA initiated these cancellations?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Let's assume this suspicion is true - how would that help the fraudsters? We know that the released seat will not necessarily go back into award inventory, and certainly not immediately. So they would do a lot of work for no certain renumeration. Nice conspiracy theory, not very credible.
Why not? It will do no harm to scalpers to cancel other people's award tickets if they need those CA award seats. True, after cancelling an UA award ticket, those award seats may not necessarily go back, but what if they do?

Seems more likely that someone (an airline perhaps) wants revenue seats to book, so they free some up in way that is harder for the airline to detect, because there will be no refunds payable (only by a partner, not by CA for example).
Nice conspiracy theory, not very credible.

I also checked the three victims' CA flight information, lots of F and A availability - there is no point for CA to cancel an O seat to free up an F/A space.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Did you check whether the Air China flight that you had booked is still operating, or has the whole flight been removed from the schedule?
Yes, all of my flights are still operating. The United rep I spoke to last night specifically said somebody canceled my reservation online. Also, it's still possible to re-book my exact reservation, for like $35k, but award space is no longer available.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by DelrayChris

In the other thread, the theory was proposed that hackers are figuring out Air China reservation numbers and passenger names, then contacting Air China or UA to cancel the reservation. Then, they sell the first/business class award space that might consequently open up.

There's clearly a security hole somewhere. I don't think it has anything to do with UA's 4 digit pin, or people hacking UA account passwords. It's more that there exists the ability to cancel someone else's reservation if all you know is the PNR and name -- and these can be found out somehow, probably by brute force guessing on a reservation management website (like a Chinese version of checkmytrip.com, perhaps).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Given your account is protected by a 4-digit PIN (that I assume could be trivially socially engineered with a phone call), how are you "more secure than 99% of United accounts?"
Sorry, I meant that I follow best practices and feel the chances of my personal computer being hacked or personal passwords recovered is minimal. You are still correct about the 4-digit PIN being an irresponsible method to protect a critical system in 2014. Not to mention it was probably the PNR & Name combination used in this case which is even worse.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by lewende

Mind elaborating on this? Why UA and CA initiated these cancellations?
I doubt it was both, but either/or, I'd guess CA, personally.

They sell out of J/F seats and think, why give the seats away for chump change miles?

Certainly UA has a less than stellar record concerning their IT.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by snic
II don't think it has anything to do with UA's 4 digit pin, or people hacking UA account passwords. It's more that there exists the ability to cancel someone else's reservation if all you know is the PNR and name -- and these can be found out somehow...
Who already knows those things? Air China. Who has a motive to retrieve J/F inventory to sell at higher prices? Air China. Who comes from a business culture of indifference to consumers? Air.... c'mon, do the math. This probably isn't a "hack," but a brutish form of inventory recapture by CA. The kind of thing UA occasionally does right at the gate when people flying on award tickets are downgraded for FAMs or other reasons.

I don't know what the hell United can do about it, either, beyond breaking open more inventory on alternative own-metal flights to reaccommodate, which it looks like they are not doing.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Who already knows those things? Air China. Who has a motive to retrieve J/F inventory to sell at higher prices? Air China. Who comes from a business culture of indifference to consumers? Air.... c'mon, do the math.
I hate to say it, since my fate at this point depends on Air China reinstating my original reservation, but I think you're right.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
I am having a similar, albeit much less devastating, problem. I booked a North American AirPass ticket a few weeks ago. One of my flights went from SFO to SAN to ORD to YYZ (all with the same flight number). Twice in the last three days, the SFO-SAN leg has been cancelled. I would have chalked it up to a glitch in the system, but according to the Alliance desk rep, both times "the passenger" called to request the change, which I clearly did not. I cannot see what advantage anyone would get from cancelling one leg of a revenue ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I don't know what the hell United can do about it, either, beyond breaking open more inventory on alternative own-metal flights to reaccommodate, which it looks like they are not doing.
United has lax security, allowing customer reservations to be canceled. United is aware of their security problems and lets them continue. United looks the other way when this happens. And who benefits when customers have to fly United instead of other carriers? United....... They're not a "victim" here, and they should not be let off the hook when they are complacent about fraud.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by snic
It's more that there exists the ability to cancel someone else's reservation if all you know is the PNR and name -- and these can be found out somehow, probably by brute force guessing on a reservation management website (like a Chinese version of checkmytrip.com, perhaps).
I think the more likely scenario is that there's a human leak somewhere. There are probably thousands, if not more, Air China employees, that have access to PNRs including passenger names for upcoming flights, let alone those at associated vendors. All it takes is one that works in association with a mileage broker of some sort to create a situation such as we see here.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think the more likely scenario is that there's a human leak somewhere. There are probably thousands, if not more, Air China employees, that have access to PNRs including passenger names for upcoming flights, let alone those at associated vendors. All it takes is one that works in association with a mileage broker of some sort to create a situation such as we see here.
But why would someone cancel a random award ITIN? To what purpose beyond spite? It is possible to cancel one and then immediately grab the seats for yourself? I never had the impression that the seats would automatically go back into the award inventory. But if they do, and if UA cares, it should be possible to go into the system to look for a cancellation and then an immediate booking on another account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.