Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for UA to charge the $200 charge fee if new fare < old fare?

How long does it take for UA to charge the $200 charge fee if new fare < old fare?

Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had a non-refundable ticket that was cancelled and reused. The new ticket is cheaper than the old ticket. So, all it cost me was the $200 UA fee (and the crazy fees our Corporate TA AMEX charges - a fee to reuse the ticket and another fee to record the credit for the residual value).

The new ticket was issued fine but the $200 charge never came in. It has been over a week now. Is there usually a lag in this situation? Trying to see if I should wait longer to do my expense report...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by username
I had a non-refundable ticket that was cancelled and reused. The new ticket is cheaper than the old ticket. So, all it cost me was the $200 UA fee (and the crazy fees our Corporate TA AMEX charges - a fee to reuse the ticket and another fee to record the credit for the residual value).

The new ticket was issued fine but the $200 charge never came in. It has been over a week now. Is there usually a lag in this situation? Trying to see if I should wait longer to do my expense report...
You're saying that it hasn't hit the billing credit card yet? If you went through your corporate AMEX TA is it possible that they have a deal with UA such that the $200 isn't actually billed (which makes some sense to me since AMEX is tacking on other charges)?

To answer the original question, the authorization for the $200 charge hits my personal credit card in no more than a day or two (usually almost immediately, IIRC). The actual billing can take longer (I think...I don't watch it like a hawk).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi...thanks. I forgot to mention that the $200 authorization came in from United like a day or two after the booking but the real charge has not posted.

I doubt AMEX is picking anything up. We get dinged on every little thing by them - many I can avoid if I go directly to UA but our corporate policy does not allow it.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Last time I did this, it took a couple of weeks before Amex travel hit my corp card.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I just expense change fees by copying the email from United that shows the add/collect. Maybe that would work for you (assuming you got that email...ahh, the benefits of managing your own travel ).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Or a screen shot. I actually have a self receipt form where an employee can generate an amount to be reimbursed, write an explanation, and sign it. If they sit down to do an expense report and are missing the piece of paper, they can still get the task done.

This way they sell, not fill out forms

Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:17 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My experience is that the authorization shows up immediately, but it can be several days (up to a week IME) before the actual charges go through. This can be annoying when .bomb has made a mistake and multiply-charged you, requiring one to watch the authorizations like a hawk to make sure they do indeed drop off (and that one and only one goes through).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAaronT
Last time I did this, it took a couple of weeks before Amex travel hit my corp card.
Thanks. I am guessing this will be the case.

I work for a large company that has strict rules on these things - corporate TA must be used, Corprate AMEX card should be used, expenses must be turned in within xx days, etc....so I can't do some of these things or wait....
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by username
Thanks. I am guessing this will be the case.

I work for a large company that has strict rules on these things - corporate TA must be used, Corprate AMEX card should be used, expenses must be turned in within xx days, etc....so I can't do some of these things or wait....
Ditto. We just went to mandatory corp cards, so fewer miles for me and I can't do my expenses right when I get back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.