Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to wait 2-3 hours before claiming checked bags? to visit the UC for awhile?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it OK to wait 2-3 hours before claiming checked bags? to visit the UC for awhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:02 pm

Well, there was this story:

Police discover nearly 1,000 stolen suitcases

I assume the couple took the luggage off the carousal and didn't rip it from any passengers' arms.

But it's probably more likely the TSA will steal your stuff:

TSA pays millions for bag claims, USA TODAY investigation finds
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Well, there was this story:

Police discover nearly 1,000 stolen suitcases

also, Couple stole passengers' luggage at San Francisco airport
Part of the aftermath of the SFO Asiana crash
In some cases, incoming flights were diverted to other airports in California. Passengers' bags sometimes made it to San Francisco before they did, leading to a pileup of luggage.

That's where, according to the district attorney's office, the case against the suspects begins.

Surveillance video showed Crudup stealing bags and handing them to his fiancee and another unnamed woman, the prosecutor's office said.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you don't ever want to see your bag again, go for it. There have been lots of recent news stories about baggage theft, particularly in Florida.
At MCO I would also include the harried kettle families who happen to grab the wrong bag in their haste to get to the mouse house, and the well meaning but sometimes oblivious seasoned citizens that Florida is so famous for.

SL
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
So, a confession.

I leave my bag unattended all the time. I like to linger in lounges, especially after a redeye. It has become a ritual at IAD and LAX.

There has been only one occasion that I have ran into a problem -- my fancy Intercontinental Royal Ambassador luggage tag was stolen -- or perhaps it fell off. But it was gone. But my bag and the contents inside have always been safe. And I do this a lot. A lot.

I'd avoid checking if possible, but if you must...well, just leave it.
Same here. In IAD, 45 min in the club won't even delay you getting your bag...MCO is frequently about as bad. Your bags not infrequently arrive on an earlier flight than you do....no different.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by cmculp
Your bags not infrequently arrive on an earlier flight than you do....no different.
Are they going around in circles on the carousel the entire time when this happens?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Are they going around in circles on the carousel the entire time when this happens?
They go around for a while. Staff then takes them off the carousel and puts them in storage (usually in the baggage office and then after that in secure storage).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
They go around for a while. Staff then takes them off the carousel and puts them in storage (usually in the baggage office and then after that in secure storage).
Some locations they are kept in locked cages in the carousel area or sometimes a locked cable routed thru the bag handles.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
Will be doing something a little out of the ordinary for me.

I arrive at MCO on a Friday afternoon around 3:30 PM
So what time did you actually land in MCO, if at all?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmculp
Same here. In IAD, 45 min in the club won't even delay you getting your bag...MCO is frequently about as bad. Your bags not infrequently arrive on an earlier flight than you do....no different.
This is typically true. I was amazed on Monday that my bag came out within 5 minutes of me getting to the carousel, and I didn't stop along the way at all (straight from plane to the D concourse moon buggy to the main terminal).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Last week, I was flying home (HNL) from ATL and my son was flying home from college (SEA). As he arrived 90 min after I did, I diverted to the club, changed into "aloha attire" and waited for him. We went down to baggage claim where my bag was waiting for me in the secure cage by H5. I've never had this go bad with an N of at least 50. If it did go bad, I'm at least home....

Something similar happens every-time you "volunteer" to give up your seat in an oversell situation.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
To leave or not to leave, that is the question.

EDIT: Ignore this post! WineCoutryUA (UA Moderator) was kind enough to move this post here from another thread ... so my questions have been answered.

TNX, WCUA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I've been a Lifetime Presidents/United Club Member for 11 years ... and gotten more than my money's worth over the years ... $1,800 original cost.

My wife and I are traveling to LAX this Friday with a 4:57pm arrival time. My son and his wife are arriving LAX on a later United flight (from Houston) at 7:30pm.

I note that there is a UC near our probable arrival Gate 75B (Terminal 7).

So, if we elect to go directly from the plane to the UC to schmooze for 2 hours or so (waiting for the 'kids' to arrive), will we have trouble collecting our luggage from the carousels after we leave the UC? Conversely, if we pick up the bags first, will we have trouble getting back to the UC thru security (with our bags) with a same day ticket or gate pass?

Incidentally, we both have KTNs (Known Traveler Numbers) ... reflecting our outstanding patriotism and loyalty. :-)

Last edited by N9MD; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:11 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Help with MCO question please

I will arrive MCO early Saturday morning at Concourse B, gate 40-something. I would like to stop in at the nearby United Club and kill a few hours (waiting for a cruise ship shuttle).

Problem may be this: I have one checked bag, if I go to baggage claim, is that outside of the passenger area which would preclude me from coming back into Concourse B without a boarding pass? I don't think I can leave a checked bag on the luggage merry-go-round for three hours without causing a panic.

Thanks all.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
I don't think I can leave a checked bag on the luggage merry-go-round for three hours without causing a panic.
This is not an unusual situation. There are always unclaimed bags. The real question is whether you want to take your chances of ever seeing your bag again.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
So you've confirmed what I think, I cannot collect my bag and return to Concourse B to use the club; not happening?

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This is not an unusual situation. There are always unclaimed bags. The real question is whether you want to take your chances of ever seeing your bag again.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
So you've confirmed what I think, I cannot collect my bag and return to Concourse B to use the club; not happening?
No. Your options are either skipping the club, or leaving your bag. After a time, the staff at baggage claim will collect your bag and likely either lock it up or at least put it out of public reach - but at least technically you run the risk of it disappearing within that window. The risk is low, but...

If you do go for the latter option, be sure to hang onto your baggage tag, as it'll make collecting your bag easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.