Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on Current UA Menus (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
international meals

Just another viewpoint, and I guess from reading here that UA's domestic meals are not great, but at least TATL, UA's meals in Business continue to be very good.

For example, last week, ORD->AMS I had the Fillet of Salmon with Lump Crabmeat - excellent, really!

There were four choices of main course:
Short Rib of Beef
Tamale-filled Breast of Chicken (which looked good - my seatmate had it)
Tri-color Ravioli
and the Salmon mentioned above.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Agree. Haven't seen a steak in 50 years of flying (counting when I was a kid) worth eating. Steaks just aren't meant to fly.
The ANA Wagyu beef in F is outstanding.

I've had some decent filets in AF J a well.

Even had a steak in KE J that was decent. FA asked how I'd like it done.

It can be prepared properly if they try.

Originally Posted by Mats
One of the issues is that flights with full meal service and a critical mass of passengers in first class require an additional flight attendant.
Is this still the case? At least domestically, CO/UA are flying at FAA minimums, IIRC.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by channa
Is this still the case? At least domestically, CO/UA are flying at FAA minimums, IIRC.
I have never heard of an additional FA required for meal serviing to premium customers - but I don't have all the facts so I can't state it categorically...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Agree. Haven't seen a steak in 50 years of flying (counting when I was a kid) worth eating. Steaks just aren't meant to fly. The short rib currently served is a perfect choice for the galleys - just need to come up with variations of sauce.

An aside - had both the ANA and UA chicken nuggets at Narita Sunday. UA's were formed ground chicken whereas ANA's were breast chunks with a much tastier coating.
Swiss knows how to do a steak.

Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
United Airlines
Food expense per passenger: $5.83
Food expense as ratio of operating expense: 2.0%
This is hard to interpret, but it seems pretty supportive of a figure around $20 for food cost in domestic F. Because most of these passengers are domestic Y and their food cost is zero. So if UA is spending $5.83 per passenger, but 80% of the people on the plane are getting $0, then the other 20% are costing over $20 each. Of course, it's more complicated than that, because there are international flights in here, too, and different trip lengths, etc.

Another way of looking at it, the allocated share of UA's "operating expense" for a 757 with 200 passengers flying across the country is something like $40,000? So 2.0% of that would be $800, divided by 24 passengers in F comes to $33 each.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
This is hard to interpret, but it seems pretty supportive of a figure around $20 for food cost in domestic F. Because most of these passengers are domestic Y and their food cost is zero. So if UA is spending $5.83 per passenger, but 80% of the people on the plane are getting $0, then the other 20% are costing over $20 each. Of course, it's more complicated than that, because there are international flights in here, too, and different trip lengths, etc.

Another way of looking at it, the allocated share of UA's "operating expense" for a 757 with 200 passengers flying across the country is something like $40,000? So 2.0% of that would be $800, divided by 24 passengers in F comes to $33 each.
But 80% don't get zero - they get drinks and perhaps pretzels - at a minimum, for free. Also, in the premium cabin at least 50% of total expense is on drinks and liquor - food isn't as much as you think....
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But 80% don't get zero - they get drinks and perhaps pretzels - at a minimum, for free. Also, in the premium cabin at least 50% of total expense is on drinks and liquor - food isn't as much as you think....
I thought the $5.89 is for food only, not drinks. Can't tell for sure from the reference.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...f-airline-food

Pretzels and drinks for Y passengers can't be more than $1-2 each (there's not much markup required on a can of Coke), so that wouldn't make a huge difference, although it would certainly be something.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:31 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by channa

I have never heard of an additional FA required for meal serviing to premium customers - but I don't have all the facts so I can't state it categorically...
Depends on the configuration. Staffing is increased for international and p.s. flights due to the number of seats in premium cabins. I believe certain sCO domestic flights are staffed above FAA minimums as well. However, if necessary, they will go out with FAA minimum if there were no-shows.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
I thought the $5.89 is for food only, not drinks. Can't tell for sure from the reference.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...f-airline-food

Pretzels and drinks for Y passengers can't be more than $1-2 each (there's not much markup required on a can of Coke), so that wouldn't make a huge difference, although it would certainly be something.
If you do a bit of research you will see that the report cited - as do others - reference the airlines breakout of total catering expense - which includes beverages.

My clients are the catering and inflight departments of every major airline in the world. The best in the world (IMO) is EK - their facility in Dubai is the most amazing I've ever seen. I just came back from JAL's. I know what it costs to cater a meal onboard for every airline - it's not $20. That's all I will say - I've provided links, data points, and everything possible without divulging what is truly proprietary information.

All I will say is that $5 is about right - for most airlines - in a domestic F application. FWIW a bag of peanuts (yes some airlines still hand them out) cost less $0.07 per bag for a major airline - and can be sourced from multiple suppliers at any point in time. And for food items for sale on board - airlines in general mark it up at least 100%.

This is a competitive business - more competitive thatn you assume.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by StingWest
Just another viewpoint, and I guess from reading here that UA's domestic meals are not great, but at least TATL, UA's meals in Business continue to be very good.

For example, last week, ORD->AMS I had the Fillet of Salmon with Lump Crabmeat - excellent, really!

There were four choices of main course:
Short Rib of Beef
Tamale-filled Breast of Chicken (which looked good - my seatmate had it)
Tri-color Ravioli
and the Salmon mentioned above.
The TATL meals I would say are merely adequate, however for those of us that do alot of p.s. flights, it is all monotonous, same thing month in and month out
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by genemk2
Just heard from the Managing Director of Global Catering that UA is redesigning the menus, and that now is the time to provide feedback on the current menus.

In that vein, please post your feedback on the menus. But please be pragmatic; recognize that there are significant costs at play here, so lobster is never going to be a realistic option. But, for example, one piece of feedback that was received and is being implemented, is the removal of the turkey "hockey puck" sausage on breakfast meals. Also recently implemented is the catering of greek-style yogurt, which has less sugar and more protein than traditional american-style yogurt.
Do we have any kind of timeline at this point as to the implementation of new menus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.