Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A thread for good fares we can use our GPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A thread for good fares we can use our GPU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
Fares vary so much it would seem difficult. How about just a thread on which flights tend to have more R availability and which seem to have less (ie. SYD)?
That's a completely separate issue.

I'm not so sure that the W delta on a particular o/d pair actually varies so much.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by eng3
Fares vary so much it would seem difficult. How about just a thread on which flights tend to have more R availability and which seem to have less (ie. SYD)?
we already know that information (eg, nothing except AMS/BRU has consistent R availability)

i'll be the first to formally vote for this thread, and i'd even vote to make it a sticky.

is it possible to add a poll to this thread and start taking a real vote?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
is it possible to add a poll to this thread and start taking a real vote?
It's easier just to start the thread. The number of posts and views will be the vote. Format-wise, I think a Wikipost would make the most sense except for the fact that Wiki edits don't show up as thread updates.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I am split on where it belongs, seems like it would be better suited in the MR forum even though it would solely be about UA fares. Either way I think its a great idea.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman

In my opinion, it shouldn't be about R space at all, as that transitory. It should just be about low upgradable fares. And I really don't think any kind of CPM limit is appropriate or necessary.
Imo 2 things are needed at the same time 1) a cheap W fare (or at least 1 that isnt alot more then what the ElCheapo would cost), 2nd R>0

if R=0 then theres no sense to buy a W and end up maybe overpaying for the exact same Y seat you end up sitting in and paying less.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by craz
Imo 2 things are needed at the same time 1) a cheap W fare (or at least 1 that isnt alot more then what the ElCheapo would cost), 2nd R>0

if R=0 then theres no sense to buy a W and end up maybe overpaying for the exact same Y seat you end up sitting in and paying less.
R availability is for a particular flight. Fares are for a route. That's why they're rather different questions.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
R availability is for a particular flight. Fares are for a route. That's why they're rather different questions.
I understood that, I just dont understand why someone would pay for a W fare if the GPU cant be confirmed at the time of booking.

Personally I wouldnt buy a W unless it was the cheapest available, unless I could at the same time get my GPU confirmed. Now if a W was like with PMUA $100 or so more then I would roll the dice but not for $100s more like is the case with most Ws nowadays. Just too many folks I know that were dumb and played UnUnited Rouette and lost = paying more for a W fare and ended up sitting in the exact Y seat they could have paid alot less $$ for

thats why I said a cheap W and R>0 is important. could be for some 1 of the 2 is only important
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by craz
I understood that, I just dont understand why someone would pay for a W fare if the GPU cant be confirmed at the time of booking.

Personally I wouldnt buy a W unless it was the cheapest available, unless I could at the same time get my GPU confirmed. Now if a W was like with PMUA $100 or so more then I would roll the dice but not for $100s more like is the case with most Ws nowadays. Just too many folks I know that were dumb and played UnUnited Rouette and lost = paying more for a W fare and ended up sitting in the exact Y seat they could have paid alot less $$ for

thats why I said a cheap W and R>0 is important. could be for some 1 of the 2 is only important
i think what mgcsinc is saying is a W fare might be valid for a period of a month with R open on 3-4 of the days. that's valuable info for someone, but not for everyone. it's up to the reader of the thread to find open R on dates that work for them, but it should not be incumbent on the poster of the fare to ensure R is open during the validity of the fare when posting a "good deals upgradeable fare"
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Let's Do It

Someone find a bargain W fare and let's get this puppy started!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Someone find a bargain W fare and let's get this puppy started!
See, it's a lot easier to discuss the concept of a cheap W fare than to actually find one.....
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OK I'll start

Since I am OP I think I should put some time into this.

ORD-OSL around 1100 over Thanksgiving (No "R" available)

ORD-CDG around 1300 over Thanksgiving ("R" is available)

I think 1300 is too much for Thanksgiving but maybe not crazy.

OSL seems pretty dang cold and a 757 but 1100 is something I would justify for a trip.

I have read all these posts and I do many domestic trips as reimbursed expenses and all international on my dime. I have almost 60 countries under my belt and I do many of them based on reading MR forum and staying longer than one day, make it a mini vacation.

With GPU's I'd like to take a couple and make a decision based on a certificate so actual dates and places really are not too important, within reason. Like OSL in late Nov better be a steal for me to consider.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:40 pm

Someone mentioned BRU, so I tried it. Round trip IAD-BRU, Oct 7-21, R=9, $1179 in T/S, $1259 in W/W, $4797 in P/P. So yes, I would pay $80 to fly up front.

I seem to remember that the difference was much larger with destinations I tried in the past.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
SIN- JFK (K) $1200
SIN- JFK (W) $2000

SIN- Brazil (W) $2400
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Originally Posted by dsquared37
SIN- JFK (K) $1200
SIN- JFK (W) $2000

SIN- Brazil (W) $2400
Other way around though I've been looking some NYC-SIN W fares for around $1500 (summer and fall w R space all the way for a 5-7 day trip)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Mid Augut ORD-DEL around 1700 (W) -- no "R"
Orbitz lowest UA 1450

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.