Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much discretion do FAs have giving out free drinks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much discretion do FAs have giving out free drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
There are several reports (including mine) of people being told to keep their drink chits for another flight.
yes its difficult to use Drink Chits...... the FA always say thanks for flying UA>^
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
An FA recently gave me an unopened full bottle of red wine for being "the only person in F to pay attention to the entire safety video."
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Do they really inventory at the cart level? I know I've seen booze traded back and forth all the time. Like when F runs out of Gin (when I'm on board, LOL) and they go get some from the E cart.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
One thing that works like a charm is to have the inflight magazine out to the page with Jeff on it, and draw devils horns coming out of his head, and other things along those lines, and make sure they see it. Works beautifully for comped food/drinks.
Pure genius!

I might do this just to increase their morale!

Originally Posted by milepig
Do they really inventory at the cart level? I know I've seen booze traded back and forth all the time. Like when F runs out of Gin (when I'm on board, LOL) and they go get some from the E cart.
Well, for restocking purposes I'm sure they do. The question is more whether they check this information against Y sales on each flight.

Really they should for business intelligence/analytics purposes but that doesn't mean that they do.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by PVDProf
OK, I am apparently doing this all wrong. I use chits a fair bit (Plat->lots of time in E+), but I have NEVER had my chit declined. Worse, I've had an FA come five rows back to me and complain that I gave her an expired chit (I had, but as we know, these are normally accepted) and demand a valid one. I'm midwestern-type polite, approaching middle age, and take my Bose off to talk with them. Am I just not cute enough?
You are. I guess you could say " the beer is empty, so why don't we call them both expired and call it even?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
One thing that works like a charm is to have the inflight magazine out to the page with Jeff on it, and draw devils horns coming out of his head, and other things along those lines, and make sure they see it. Works beautifully for comped food/drinks.
Hilarious! I will have to remember this one.

Last edited by theise; Mar 23, 2014 at 10:28 am Reason: Trim quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
On LIS-EWR flight two days ago, the pax behind me got a "buy one, get one free" deal. The FA apologied for something by giving a second drink for free. I doubt that the FA would pay this second drink from her own pocket. Happy travel.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by milepig
IME they often "trade" something back to the other cart to keep the inventory even in such scenarios.

On my recent TATL the FA offered my wife and I each a glass of wine from BF for a mini "wine tasting" after the lunch service.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

IME they often "trade" something back to the other cart to keep the inventory even in such scenarios.

On my recent TATL the FA offered my wife and I each a glass of wine from BF for a mini "wine tasting" after the lunch service.
A great FA on my SFO-NRT flight last week did this too. My friend and I were in the exit row on the 747 so were chatting with the FA while she was in the jumpseat for take off and landing. Midflight we went to the galley to ask for wine, and I had some old 2010 PMUA chits. She politely declined them and gave us the wine for free.

We then retreated to the rear of the plane to drink and stretch our legs while having a conversation. Same FA comes back to us and asks if we enjoy Sauvignon Blanc. We said yes and she left and came back with two glasses from BF of "the better stuff."
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Just got free drinks from the nicest FA I think I have ever had on UA, he was fantastic, first class fa, gave free drinks to everyone in the bulkhead
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
comp alcohol in Y for 1K?

here on a flight back to the west coast...flight attendant comes back to me in Y and offers me a complimentary grown-up drink from 1st class.

i ask her why, and she says "because you're a 1K and depending on service/busy-ness, i try to do it for our 1Ks." proceeds to check in with a few other passengers and brings back the drinks (in glasses).

is this a "thing" now? or did i just get a super awesome (pmUA) flight attendant? (am on an A320)

Last edited by expo; Sep 17, 2014 at 8:36 pm Reason: misspelled business - meant busy-ness
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
VERY unusual!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by expo
here on a flight back to the west coast...flight attendant comes back to me in Y and offers me a complimentary grown-up drink from 1st class.

i ask her why, and she says "because you're a 1K and depending on service/business, i try to do it for our 1Ks." proceeds to check in with a few other passengers and brings back the drinks (in glasses).

is this a "thing" now? or did i just get a super awesome (pmUA) flight attendant? (am on an A320)
I think you got very lucky-notice that she says that "I try to do it for our 1Ks", which indicates that it's not a "thing"

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
No, UA only copies from DL, not AA. Honestly, though, I've never had that happen to me. From time to time, FAs will hand back a drink chit, though.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
PMUA used to do this pretty often. Every now and then you get a FA who does it, but with the CO fear culture that permeates the airline these days, it happens a lot less frequently than it did before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.