Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Another 15 UA stations to be ground-handled by outside contractors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

Word through the grapevine is UA just announced another 15 stations to be ground handled by outside bidders. Anyone have any reliable news links on this to confirm validity? Not sure if any/all are closures or just outsource. Looking for confirmation or denial of story

Last edited by fastair; Mar 13, 2014 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I just searched for news reports....nothing yet.
I have little doubt it will be true though.....

Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:54 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
More of that $2b in cuts if true...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:08 pm

Don't know if I should start a new thread on this or not, but it's being reported elsewhere that Skywest is out as the above wing customer service operations in DEN and that mainline UA will takeover all above wing customer service for express operations.

Last edited by JOSECONLSCREW28; Mar 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Don't know if I should start a new thread on this or not, but it's being reported elsewhere that Skywest is out as the above wing customer service operations in DEN and that mainline UA will takeover all above wing customer service operations.
what is "above wing?"
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
what is "above wing?"
Passenger service!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
your comment about 15 stations is heading the wrong direction. The company is workign with the union to engage in talks to KEEP the staff in 15 locations.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by CALMSP
your comment about 15 stations is heading the wrong direction. The company is workign with the union to engage in talks to KEEP the staff in 15 locations.
That MAY be. My source was very vague. Said they may have opportunity to stay employed if they (he said 2/3 majority) agree to work for under $10/hr. Allegedly an email was just sent, but I'm on the road and haven't seen it yet.

Ok, read the email. They need a supermajority (66.67%) to agree to wage, work rule, and benefit concessions to not be outsourced (of course a new long term agreement set those just 4.5 months ago). So everything he said is true, I gotta believe his sub $10/hr number since everything else checked out.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 14, 2014 at 9:50 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:13 pm
Suspended

yes, companies can be trusted to think about the needs of their employees when it comes to union negotiations. they would never misrepresent anything ever.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:28 pm

Looks like the following stations will be contracted out :

OGG, FSD, DSM, SLC, and CVG with more stations to be announced.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

ABQ, BUF, CHS, CLT, CMH, DSM, DTW, ELP, FSD, ICT, KOA, LIH, OGG, PNS and SLC (Ramp Service only).
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA G
Wow, Hawaii save HNL is getting hosed
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: United Gold
Glad I live on Oahu... sad for the neighbor island folks tho
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Pretty sure CVG has already gotten the old heave-ho.

Wow...agree to work for below living wage with reduced benefits and work rules and you might keep a job.

No wonder service SUCKS at these outsourced stations.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Don't know if I should start a new thread on this or not, but it's being reported elsewhere that Skywest is out as the above wing customer service operations in DEN and that mainline UA will takeover all above wing customer service for express operations.
That would be too bad if true, Skywest is about the only express jet carrier I can handle. I would much prefer them to UAL personnel of late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.