Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking 53 pound box / Paying Mexican Customs Duties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Platinum

These are probably stupid questions, but I've never done this before. I'm flying from Texas to Mexico. I can check bags each up to 50 pounds free on United. I've got a box with security camera equipment that weighs 53 pounds. Questions,

1. Is there any problem checking a box? (I assume not since I've seen other people do it, although not necessarily to Mexico.)

2. Do you think United will dock me for it being 3 pounds overweight? (I'm trying to decide whether to unwrap the package and remove a few items. Based on past experience, I'm figuring the probability that they'll charge me extra is low enough that it's not worth the effort to redistribute the weight, especially considering the manufacturer right now has the box packed so nothing will break during shipment.)

3. Does anyone know if Mexican customs will accept U.S. dollars or a credit card to pay duties?

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If you're still a Gold Elite, you have a limit of 70 lbs.

They weigh all bags - so you have to hope they waive it. Considering that all bags above 50 lbs need 'heavy' tags and in the system - I think it's not probable they will overlook it. Hard to say.

I'd open the box and take some stuff out (manuals, batteries, cables).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:53 pm

you can check 1 box in lieu of 1 bag
unknown if you can pay in USD or by credit card
however goods valued over $3000 USD need the services of a custom broker
to pass customs
hope this helps you
from the mexico city airport website:

Duty-free items.

Duty-free items are permits the Mexican government gives to a person, whether Mexican or foreign national, to be exempt from paying duties and taxes for a given amount of goods they bring to Mexico. Duty-free exemptions are for U.S. $300 or their equivalent in national or foreign currency, as one or several items, except for beer, alcoholic beverages and prepared tobacco. You must have an invoice, proof of sale or any other document that states the commercial value of the goods. The amounts may be accumulated by the parents and children, including minors, when the arrival into national territory is simultaneous and on the same means of transport.

Travelers subject to taxes.

If you exceed your duty-free amount but not by $3,000 or its equivalent in national or foreign currency, you must fill out the tax payment for foreign trade, calculating 15% of the value of your goods, which will be tax to be paid. If the value of your goods is more than $3,000 or its equivalent in other currency, and is subject to regulations or restrictions on importation, you must hire the services of a customs broker to carry out the importation procedure on your behalf and calculate the taxes payable (ask Customs officials where to find a broker).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
If it was as me, I'd put a couple of the power supplies in a back pack, and be safe, or cameras. And carry them on..

Boxes attract customs, luggage does not as much,,.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
This question might be better answered by a customs broker.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:23 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Unusually large dimensions (see UA page for measurements) will also attract penalty fees.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aacharya
They weigh all bags
It depends on the station. For example, YVR doesn't even have scales at check-in, so they just eyeball it.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Where was you equipment made? Don't forget about NAFTA also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.