Wiki Posts
Search

UA Outsources at YVR, YYC and YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WR Cage
The green tags going to special services bag belt is a CBSA directive and not something associated with ATS or UA.
You sure this is a CBSA thing? Green tagged bags have always been delivered plane side - at the gate (or outside the aircraft if gated at the barn) at YYZ. If it was a CBSA issue, don't know why they would allow that at YYZ but not YYC.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
No idea. Didn't ask.
At Regina, AC manage the operations for UA. Great staff in time of regular ops but if things go south they don't understand the UA system/policies/procedures.

(They are still great staff just not training well enough in UA procedures)
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by sdix
At Regina, AC manage the operations for UA. Great staff in time of regular ops but if things go south they don't understand the UA system/policies/procedures.

(They are still great staff just not training well enough in UA procedures)
AC cant train its own staff for AC stuff, there is no chance they will ever teach them UA stuff.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
That would be truly awful - if we get stuck with AC staff
I cant imagine UA would save any money hiring AC.....
Lets hope they hire West Jet staff.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 24, 2014 at 3:32 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by why fly
Outsourcing rarely saves any actual money. It always looks good on paper, but when you take all the other factors into account, like training, additional required communications, poor service, etc, it usually ends up costing more in the end.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Lets hope they hire West Jet staff.
Like mentioned above, it wouldnt - but it makes most sense sadly.

lol... westjet? Does westjet staff even know where Europe is?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
YYZ - And So It Begins

Customer Service is already starting to suffer in YYZ. Flight 3892 from EWR on 2/24. Landed at 18:00, its now 19:40 and luggage is reported to be coming out soon. All the UA Baggage Personal are wearing some buttons that have the Words "Pushback" and some other text.

The actual text is "Prepare for Pushback" and they got them from their Union. I was told that they only have a single ramp crew to service a bunch of their and other airlines, so thats why its taking longer than normal.

I can see my bag now.

This does not bode well for the future.

Last edited by drowelf; Feb 24, 2014 at 6:23 pm Reason: Added button wording.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by drowelf
Customer Service is already starting to suffer in YYZ. Flight 3892 from EWR on 2/24. Landed at 18:00, its now 19:40 and luggage is reported to be coming out soon. All the UA Baggage Personal are wearing some buttons that have the Words "Pushback" and some other text.

The actual text is "Prepare for Pushback" and they got them from their Union. I was told that they only have a single ramp crew to service a bunch of their and other airlines, so thats why its taking longer than normal.

I can see my bag now.

So how much $$$ did these UA employes pay in dues each month? For how many years? And for this they get a button that says "Prepare for Pushback". Typical Union crap.

Lets say you worked for UA 20 years, paying $60.00 a month (I do not know the exact figure for UA) that comes to $14,400. You got a button for almost 15 grand and your on the street in 3 months!

Does UA not have a dress code that prohibits wearing such items?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:27 pm

Makes you wonder who's next. LHR? NRT? Anywhere that's not a US hub?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kettle1
Lets say you worked for UA 20 years, paying $60.00 a month (I do not know the exact figure for UA) that comes to $14,400. You got a button for almost 15 grand and your on the street in 3 months!
But it does sort of demonstrate the powerlessness of unions in the 21st century with an entity like United.

In the good ol' days, some guys are laid off at the factory, the union goes out on strike and shuts down the factory. Management relents.

In the 21st century, United lays off some employees at remote stations.

What can / does the union do?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by gglave
In the 21st century, United lays off some employees at remote stations.

What can / does the union do?
Alaska went through the same thing with ground workers at SEA a few years ago (not quite a remote station there---it was their hub). Don't recall any of them getting their union jobs back. Maybe one of our Seattle FTers might have a better handle on what happened with appeals within the court system back then, as one article I read indicated there was some action in court. I'm heading out the door in a few mins for a flight and can't research that right now.

Back then (2005):

SEATTLE - Alaska Airlines announced Friday it had laid off 472 ramp employees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, replacing them with contract workers as part of a push to cut costs amid rising fuel prices and tough competition from low-cost carriers.

Alaska Airlines spokeswoman Caroline Boren said the decision came more than a year and a half after the company set out to reach a contract settlement with ramp workers, who handle baggage and guide planes to and from terminal gates.

"It's been a very hard decision," Boren said. "But given the current environment - the high fuel prices, trying to move out of four years of losses and facing some stiff competition from low-cost carriers - we felt the $13 million in savings annually was something we had to pursue."
http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4152281.html

This one line in the contract might have been what hurt the existing employees there (and makes you wonder if the UA Canadian workers have something similar in their contract):

Reading from the contract, Boren said it gives the company the right to "contract out any work for which the company's cost exceeds the vendors' charges less material."
At least some of the employees were able to bump into other positions with the airline:

Between 60 and 70 of the 472 baggage handlers let go by Alaska Airlines at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in May have shifted to other positions at the company, a spokeswoman confirmed yesterday. Some are using their seniority to bump cargo handlers at Sea-Tac, and a few have moved to baggage-handling jobs in Alaska. Several have taken positions in other parts of the company, such as customer service.
http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...zbriefs23.html

If I was a UA employee, even at a hub, I'd be thinking ahead of what jobs UA management can save money on next. If UA can save money outsourcing at remote stations, hubs can't be far behind with a much larger savings. Surely every employee targeted can't bump into another open position.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
UA - just outsource 100% of the ground jobs system-wide. The FA's can be trained in about 5 weeks. Now were talking about profit for the shareholders!

UA has turned into a complete joke. I feel sorry for the people that devoted their lives for this company. Take a look at the numbers - UA is failing.

I hope management at the "new UA" sleeps well tonight.

UA was once a very good carrier. Good luck and keep your chin up.

Very sad.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Like mentioned above, it wouldnt - but it makes most sense sadly.
in YVR it will not be AC. It will be ATS for check-in staff. Air North for ground handling.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by sing-along
in YVR it will not be AC. It will be ATS for check-in staff. Air North for ground handling.
I cant imagine any UA Canadian staff can bump much? They cant work in the US without a green card. So looks like most will lose their job.
there are some very knowledgeable staff at the airport, and UA and the customers will lose a lot.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
So looks like most will lose their job.
The UA staffer I spoke to was pretty adamant she would be losing her job - She was looking, but didn't have anything else lined up.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by drowelf

I can see my bag now.

It also happened on 2/15 inbound and 2/17 outbound. No one to offload and load luggage. I missed my connection in EWR and had to overnight. Avoid UA to YYZ in the next few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.