Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Outsources at YVR, YYC and YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gglave
Going to be dramatically worse this summer once the cruise ship season starts and frequency increases.
I never noticed a frequency change over the summer.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by fly18725
In-sourcing of out stations is unique to the North American market. Many foreign carriers outsource most or all of their outstations. If you manage your vendors well, it is possible to not even know the difference between in- and out-sourced employees.
Very true!

The devil is in the statement: "If you manage your vendors well..."

What's killed the karma around outsourcing is that many companies eventually end up spending more on professional oversight and problem resolution than they saved by out-sourcing staffing in the first place. It's not 100%, but very few companies that were incapable of delivering consistency with on-payroll staff prove to be more successful at managing their vendors well.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Maybe they'll outsource the ground handling to Air Canada (similar to how United does ground handling for Air Canada at JFK) and maybe these UA employees will get hired back? Fingers crossed that whoever is chosen to handle UA at these stations, the the displaced employees get an opportunity to at least keep a job in some capacity.
I believe this is the case in YUL (outsourced to AC) already. It was pretty awful a while ago but the last 2-3 years have been decent.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
In-sourcing of out stations is unique to the North American market. Many foreign carriers outsource most or all of their outstations.
This makes sense in many situations - AC has one flight to ICN, so it makes sense to outsource it. If there's an IRROP you just a) wait for the inbound flight to eventually arrive or b) wait until your outbound flight can go.

However, if you take a station like LHR, AC has employees there because it's a 'major station.'

...you'd think it would be ditto for UA in a station like YVR, where UA has good presence (DEN x2, IAH, LAX, ORD x2, SFO x3 + IAD in the summer).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I never noticed a frequency change over the summer.
They add IAD in the summer, and last summer IIRC an extra ORD & DEN.

Last edited by gglave; Feb 20, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
You really do have to wonder if the grand plan is to only have UA ground employees at the hubs when all the cuts are over. Isn't this about 10 stations outsourced now in the last few months?
Don't think that even UA staff at hubs are safe at this point. If the first goal is to reduce costs, regardless of the outcome, then nobody at the company is safe really. They already outsource much of the flying to UX. UA can just become a holding company to manage a largely outsourced work force. Seems that is the direction they are headed.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Maybe they'll outsource the ground handling to Air Canada
Please dont!!!! I dont want to wait half an hour for my luggage!!!

This is really sad. The YYZ United agents (and previously CO agents) have been absolutely amazing over my last 9 years as a CO/UA elite, always willing to help and assist, flexible, courteous and professional.

Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
In-sourcing of out stations is unique to the North American market. Many foreign carriers outsource most or all of their outstations. If you manage your vendors well, it is possible to not even know the difference between in- and out-sourced employees.
Most foreign carrier outstations operate 1 or 2 daily flights (or less on a weekly basis), so it makes sense to outsource. But the situation is different for UA:

Avg daily flights (UA/UAX/excl AC)
YVR - 10
YYC - 16
YYZ - 30

When you don't have your own employees dealing with so many potential situations on a daily basis, something wrong is just waiting to happen. That said, I think I will be comfortable if the outsourcing goes to AC.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:46 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Don't think that even UA staff at hubs are safe at this point. If the first goal is to reduce costs, regardless of the outcome, then nobody at the company is safe really. They already outsource much of the flying to UX. UA can just become a holding company to manage a largely outsourced work force. Seems that is the direction they are headed.
Worked in a company like that before. Only a few top executives left standing. Capitalism at its best. Thousands of people working to enrich a very few.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by sing-along
I believe CO in YVR was outsourced. (If not, then my example below shows how little CO employees care about customer service and standards).
Correct, ATS STL took over at the beginning of 2006 at YVR. They also service LH, VS, US, and possibly KL.

This is a disappointment to say the least.. There're some pretty great staff here that I've dealt with in the past who are going to be hard to replace.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
someone else is going to be making some margin on the outsourced operation, so there goes some money out the door... it makes sense if you need 4-employee hours a day (1 RT at an outstation)

I'm surprised about YYZ however, there are so many (delayed/cancelled) flights into EWR and ORD that it seems like having OAL staff deal with all that (esp. w/o FastAir), is a recipe for disaster.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
UA Outsources at YVR, YYC and YYZ :td:

I will miss the YYZ staff... They were generally great, and I am not looking forward to IRROPs...
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.01MM / BonVoy Ambassador & Life Titanium / National Elite Exec.
Many interesting posts.

I have been flying through YYZ a lot for the last two years and I have found the level of service provided by UA’s agents to be quite inconsistent. However, despite any existing shortcomings, as far as I am concerned this latest move is a step backwards.

AT YYZ the agents are already ill prepared to deal with IRROP situations (I have experience a fair number of such events in YYZ – not always weather related) and I think this move will further reduce the level of service. Perhaps I will be proven wrong but I doubt it.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.01MM / BonVoy Ambassador & Life Titanium / National Elite Exec.
Originally Posted by Darlox
The airline business must be a surreal one for anybody arriving from any other industry... Manufacturing, IT, and customer service businesses all went outsource-crazy in the 90's and 00's. They "saved costs", realized that their product became wildly inconsistent and they lost a lot of control, tried increased management oversight, tried chasing lower costs in emerging service industries, tried other stuff...

Now they're all re-IN-sourcing and still somehow "lowering costs" (as far as they tell their shareholders) by pulling it all back in. Taking advantage of "higher skilled" workers, touting "flexible" cost models, etc...

If a company is badly-enough run that they can't run an efficient operation under their own control, it always astounds me how many companies believe they can run a more-efficient operation by inserting a middle-man and letting somebody else run the same operation while trying to enforce the exact same operations model. This only works when you're talking about un-skilled labor, in highly-structured working environments. That sort of personnel mix would only work in the airline business during those rare instances when absolutely everything is going smoothly and according to plan, with no glitches, and no changing factors...

Dismantling their station network, while maintaining their flight network, is eventually going to go down in business history as a decision about as brilliant as betting the farm on 50-seat RJs.
I totally agree with your POV! Well said.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
United was/is a leader in this phenomena-outsourcing heavy maintainence to AMECO, outsourcing their mainline customer support to Indian call centers, outsourcing much of their domestic route network to feeder airlines. I am certain the trend will continue. Issues that drive the return of these functions to the originating company-extremely dissatisfied customers, poor quality workmanship (See 787)don't seem to have any effect on UA/CO management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.