Wiki Posts
Search

Chase MileagePlus Select Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shdflyer
Huh?
I earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on groceries, gas and restaurants instead of the 1 mile explorer offers. This makes it a much stronger card for day to day use than the Explorer.

But it does not offer the free bag benefit, nor trip interruption, nor primary rental car CDW (only secondary).
i meant in terms of united and flying benefits.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Interesting. I have used united.com to upfare a ticket purchased from a corporate TA (CWT via Concur, corporate rate) for the correct price and no change fee.

(ed. I note mine was from "Manage Reservations" not change flights. Notably the 24-hour rule applies only to directly purchased tickets, and not TA tickets)
Please clarify - when you say "Manage Reservations", where did you go from there? Did you click "Redeem Upgrade" and then "Buy Up to United First"? When I tried that approach this week, it wanted to charge me $549 to upgrade, when a new ticket would have been only $177, and the upgrade was only $71. The $549 price happened to be the difference between the K fare I purchased and the B fare, but of course I can't be certain that's the pricing logic it used. With Change Flights, it wanted to charge me $271 ($71 + $200 change fee), so the only way to pay only $71 was to call (and even then, having to argue with them about GG BUYUP so they would waive the $200 fee).

I would love to be able to upfare on united.com using my Select card because of the PQMs for united.com purchases.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Howard
Please clarify - when you say "Manage Reservations", where did you go from there? Did you click "Redeem Upgrade" and then "Buy Up to United First"? When I tried that approach this week, it wanted to charge me $549 to upgrade, when a new ticket would have been only $177, and the upgrade was only $71. The $549 price happened to be the difference between the K fare I purchased and the B fare, but of course I can't be certain that's the pricing logic it used. With Change Flights, it wanted to charge me $271 ($71 + $200 change fee), so the only way to pay only $71 was to call (and even then, having to argue with them about GG BUYUP so they would waive the $200 fee).
Yes, that's correct, and correct about being the difference to a B fare. There's a pervasive bug where Premiers will see the difference to an M/B fare most of the time rather than cheapest available. Sometimes, however, you get lucky and see the right price there (IIRC I might not even have had status at the time). But I usually called and rarely had to wrangle agents that much to waive the change fee.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:23 am

I have the booklet for the benefit and nowhere it says there is even secondary coverage for rentals. Does anyone have written proof that the select card (not the platinum card) DOES HAVE rental insurance coverage?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
I have the booklet for the benefit and nowhere it says there is even secondary coverage for rentals. Does anyone have written proof that the select card (not the platinum card) DOES HAVE rental insurance coverage?
It's the first benefit listed in the benefit guide I have for the Select, Auto Rental CDW. And definitely specifies secondary.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
It's the first benefit listed in the benefit guide I have for the Select, Auto Rental CDW. And definitely specifies secondary.
It's weird. I just read the booklet cover to cover and no mention. Even the link that people have provided doesn't show anything
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Have you seen http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...11-1-13-a.html

It has a link to a benefits brochure from 2013 that still works and has the car rental benefits.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Have you seen http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...11-1-13-a.html

It has a link to a benefits brochure from 2013 that still works and has the car rental benefits.
Thanks! This is a completely different booklet than I have. Strangely I have this one for my explorer card but not the select card.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Reviving this thread. Just booked a United vacations trip on my MP select card. Anyone have any experience with such a booking? The airfares included are published fares and not bulk fares. So would I get 3x united miles? The CC entry shows United vacations and not United.com.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Reviving this thread. Just booked a United vacations trip on my MP select card. Anyone have any experience with such a booking? The airfares included are published fares and not bulk fares. So would I get 3x united miles? The CC entry shows United vacations and not United.com.
I've never had occasion to book UA Vacations travel, but IME everything that codes as "United" gets 3x. The issue is whether they deem "UA Vacations" to be a separate entity, like how Hilton sells their points via Points.com so you don't get the bonus for buying them, like you would if you bought UA miles on your Select card.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by LHCVG
I've never had occasion to book UA Vacations travel, but IME everything that codes as "United" gets 3x. The issue is whether they deem "UA Vacations" to be a separate entity, like how Hilton sells their points via Points.com so you don't get the bonus for buying them, like you would if you bought UA miles on your Select card.
One can hope
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LHCVG
... The issue is whether they deem "UA Vacations" to be a separate entity, ...
UA Vacations is a separate company (an independent travel agency) unrelated to UA except that pays UA a fee for use of the brand. It is not UA.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA Vacations is a separate company (an independent travel agency) unrelated to UA except that pays UA a fee for use of the brand. It is not UA.
this. I haven't booked through UA Vacations either, but there's about a 0% chance the select benefits of purchasing from United (3 x RDM, 1 x PQM on united.com) will be given if it's listed as United Vacations, especially if it's one line for multiple package items (I.e. Airfare and hotel). For TAs that book an airfare septately, at least the bigger ones often use the carrier's merchant account and so will look as if directly coming from United and will get 3 x miles on the select. But doesn't sound like that will happen based on the merchant description.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
this. I haven't booked through UA Vacations either, but there's about a 0% chance the select benefits of purchasing from United (3 x RDM, 1 x PQM on united.com) will be given if it's listed as United Vacations, especially if it's one line for multiple package items (I.e. Airfare and hotel). For TAs that book an airfare septately, at least the bigger ones often use the carrier's merchant account and so will look as if directly coming from United and will get 3 x miles on the select. But doesn't sound like that will happen based on the merchant description.
My statement closed today and I DID receive 3X RDM for my United vacations purchase. I will have to wait until March 31st to see if i did get my 5K PQMs. Keeping fingers crossed
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
My statement closed today and I DID receive 3X RDM for my United vacations purchase. I will have to wait until March 31st to see if i did get my 5K PQMs. Keeping fingers crossed
Excellent! To the points above, it always gets tricky with these separate companies d/b/a for marketing purposes. But always good when it works out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.