Wiki Posts
Search

ABQ<->IAD Discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Gold, HH Gold
ABQ<->IAD Discontinued?

Has there been an official announcement about the discontinuation of daily nonstop service between ABQ and IAD? I couldn't find this flight past March, and the ABQ wikipedia page now lists it as discontinued beginning in April.

This is a major bummer for those of us in Albuquerque, since we will now be connected to no East Coast UA hubs and have no UA mainline service. Moreover, there will be no direct flight to DC on any airline, for a city and state that holds major military installations and government labs. I'm considering calling my congress-people to see if they have talked to UA about keeping this flight in place.

I've read reports that ABQ traffic has been down the past few years, but on these particular flights I've often seen them fairly full.

Oh well, I guess I'll be seeing a lot more of DEN via Q400 and IAH via CRJ.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Ouch. I believe Albuquerque will replace Bakersfield as the nation's largest MSA without nonstop service to IAD/DCA from any airport with 2.5 hours by car.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
looks like mar 31st is the last day of the non stop
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
ABQ<->IAD Discontinued?

Wow....somehow I missed this. Not good for those of us in ABQ! There goes our last mainline service, save for the occasional DEN flight.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
I just met with some of my colleagues who live and work in ABQ and they mentioned that their direct flights have been pretty empty lately, so based on that totally statistically valid sampling, it seems like its simply a matter of reduced traffic.. though they weren't aware of the nonstop's cancellation. But they use DCA half the time anyway, since we often end up meeting in DC or Arlington.

I know FedGov has been curtailing travel quite a bit in these post-GSA-boondoggle and sequester days, so it may just be that dynamic playing out with staff from Sandia, Los Alamos, Kirtland, and maybe the White Sands folks (though ELP is closer for them), reducing demand.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I used to do ORD-IAD-ABQ when I was loyal to UA.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jbsay
Ouch. I believe Albuquerque will replace Bakersfield as the nation's largest MSA without nonstop service to IAD/DCA from any airport with 2.5 hours by car.
BFL is a 2 to 2.5 hour drive to LAX.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Lots of travel restrictions for some govt. employees these days but UA is the GSA contract carrier for IAD-ABQ for FY14 and they are more expensive than DL or WN from DCA or BWI:

Origin Airport Destination Airport Airline Serv Govt
YCA
Fare Govt
-CA
Fare Govt
-CB
Fare Contract
Effective
Date Contract
Expiration
Date
BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON INT'L AIRPORT ALBUQUERQUE Southwest N 199.00 0.00 0.00 10/01/2013 09/30/2014
RONALD REAGAN NATIONAL AIRPORT ALBUQUERQUE Delta C 272.00 170.00 0.00 10/01/2013 09/30/2014
WASHINGTON DULLES INT'L AIRPORT ALBUQUERQUE United N 380.00 255.00 0.00 10/01/2013 09/30/2014
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Madone59 Sr. flies ROC-IAD-ABQ monthly...sometimes twice a month. This news will not be taken well.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:25 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Argh!!!!

I missed that one too -- haven't done enough booking lately.

Up until now, UA was a compelling option for me (given that I do a lot of international out of ABQ), because UA had nonstop service to LAX/SFO/IAH/DEN/ORD/IAD and nobody else except WN served more than 2 or maybe 3 destinations out of ABQ.

But if they're going to drop the last remaining mainline service, then I can't help noticing that AA is running 7 daily MD-80s to DFW. Which means they have serious mainline service and nonstop service to LAX/ORD/PHX/DFW.

For the first time, I'm seriously considering jumping ship.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
BFL is a 2 to 2.5 hour drive to LAX.
You're right, my bad. I should've said El Paso (which, unlike ABQ, doesn't even offer flights to BWI).
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shigernafy
I just met with some of my colleagues who live and work in ABQ and they mentioned that their direct flights have been pretty empty lately, so based on that totally statistically valid sampling, it seems like its simply a matter of reduced traffic.. though they weren't aware of the nonstop's cancellation. But they use DCA half the time anyway, since we often end up meeting in DC or Arlington.
I guess I tend to fly on busier days like Friday. I'm usually headed to NOVA and not DC itself, but once/if the silver line (ever) opens, there won't be a really compelling reason for me to choose IAD over DCA with no nonstop available for either.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I even failed CPU on a couple of nonstops on this route over the past few months.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
That is a shame. They started this flight when I lived in Albuquerque about eight years ago and I always thought the route was a bit quirky but of course nice to have.

Originally Posted by CreoleNC
I'm considering calling my congress-people to see if they have talked to UA about keeping this flight in place.
Get Congress involved in a private company's business decision. Great idea!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mecabq
Get Congress involved in a private company's business decision. Great idea!
I don't think there should be a law saying that the route should be preserved. However, the government has a role as a customer of the airlines, not just a regulator of them. If a very large company had flights cut to their headquarters city, I would think the airline would get some push-back from the company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.