Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABQ<->IAD Discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Company pressure vs Gov't pressure are very different things. Look at AA and GSK's relationship out of RDU. Positive for both but couldn't exist without each other.
I am ok with a Gov't representative talking to see if their was an alternative arrangement that might make the route more appealing for UA to continue.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
This is particularly a problem for TATL flights. Adding the ABQ to DEN leg is worrisome as I swear I have more delays and cancelled flights between ABQ and DEN, especially early am departures, than any other route I fly.
I had an April flight ABQ to IAD to CDG and was rerouted a week or so ago ABQ to DEN to IAD to CDG. This just opens up the possibility of trouble.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mecabq
That is a shame. They started this flight when I lived in Albuquerque about eight years ago and I always thought the route was a bit quirky but of course nice to have.

Get Congress involved in a private company's business decision. Great idea!
I'm sure they will be aware if they aren't already. Fly this route on a Monday mornings and you're guaranteed to see a few members of the New Mexico Congressional delegation (both senators were in F the one time I flew this route). Like most other Members of Congress I assume they go home every weekend and are not going to be too pleased at the thought of flying Y to BWI or connecting to get to DC.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
Originally Posted by jobartram
This is particularly a problem for TATL flights. Adding the ABQ to DEN leg is worrisome as I swear I have more delays and cancelled flights between ABQ and DEN, especially early am departures, than any other route I fly.
I had an April flight ABQ to IAD to CDG and was rerouted a week or so ago ABQ to DEN to IAD to CDG. This just opens up the possibility of trouble.
For most ABQ-TATL I'd connect over IAH. I realize of course in your case there is no IAH-CDG. But you could ask for ABQ-IAH-IAD-CDG if you really hate DEN.

It would be nice if in lieu of the elimination of ABQ-IAD if they added a second ABQ-ORD flight. They could fly it with an RJ like they do the first flight and they would have a more competitive schedule for the local market flying it 2x.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jobartram
I like the simplicity of the layout at DEN for connections, but they can't seem to get those Q400's between there and ABQ in or out on time consistently.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA; AA; MM; HH; SW
My wife and I are working on a trip to ABQ to visit family and we were counting on the direct as a good, reliable flight option. We have flown it during the holidays before and it was great.

If I want to stick with UA on this trip I either have to go through ORD (not desireable), DEN (the trip is longer) or IAH (can't stand transferring to the RJ terminal at IAH.)

Without the direct IAD-ABQ, there is little point going all the way to IAD. We are closer to DCA, so it might be time to evaluate alternatives.

I wonder if the Congressional delegation used the IAD-ABQ flight very often. My impression of the perks of being a member of Congress was a close-in reserved parking lot at DCA. Does such a facility exist at IAD?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Related curiosity ... was IAD-ABQ treated as a transcon?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Related curiosity ... was IAD-ABQ treated as a transcon?
not sure what you are querying about -- there are a series of food / meal thresholds based on distance / time but not aware of a "transcon" service difference.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by ScottFlyer
I wonder if the Congressional delegation used the IAD-ABQ flight very often. My impression of the perks of being a member of Congress was a close-in reserved parking lot at DCA. Does such a facility exist at IAD?
Yes, IAD also has close-in reserved parking for members of Congress.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:30 am

since this thread was revived.

UA mainline service will be staying in ABQ. The day after ABQ-IAD ends, one of the ABQ-IAH flights resumes mainline service.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ScottFlyer
the Congressional delegation used the IAD-ABQ flight very often. My impression of the perks of being a member of Congress was a close-in reserved parking lot at DCA. Does such a facility exist at IAD?
Doesn't really matter, most MoC have staff drive them everywhere when they're in DC. And most MoC from the West end up using IAD because there are so few non-stops flights into DCA.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zappity
For most ABQ-TATL I'd connect over IAH. I realize of course in your case there is no IAH-CDG. But you could ask for ABQ-IAH-IAD-CDG if you really hate DEN.

It would be nice if in lieu of the elimination of ABQ-IAD if they added a second ABQ-ORD flight. They could fly it with an RJ like they do the first flight and they would have a more competitive schedule for the local market flying it 2x.
Why not ABQ-SFO-CDG?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:09 pm

ABQ-SFO-CDG requires a 2:40 minute flight in a CR2 backtracking westbound and then a 4.5 hour layover in SFO. No thanks.

CDG-SFO-ABQ is not possible (the only SFO-ABQ departs before CDG-SFO arrives).

I used today's schedule for both of these assertions.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suspect that the high-fare bucket crowd would fly ABQ-IAH-DCA rather than ABQ-IAD nonstop, if actually headed to WAS. The frequency over the inconvenient timing alone makes the change at IAH worthwhile. Needless to say ABQ-TATL makes sense via IAH, but I wonder how much of that traffic there is that can't be acommodated through IAH.

I was actually surprised that this nonstop survived after the merger.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Transcons on UA get a sundae in addition to the service (and an appetizer, but that was discontinued recently).

The question I was asking is, was IAD<>ABQ treated as a transcon for F service, or was it treated as a regular midcon?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not sure what you are querying about -- there are a series of food / meal thresholds based on distance / time but not aware of a "transcon" service difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.