Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ExpressJet told United in January 2014 that it needs to cut flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

From Crankyflier

From Expressjet spokesman to Cranky Flier:

"While ExpressJet continues to attract qualified pilots, we did in fact inform United in January that we need to reduce our planned United Express flying. ExpressJet’s situation is by no means unique in the regional industry"

Maybe shuttering the Cleveland hublet is the first domino to fall?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:56 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Reduced UAX flights? Whoo Hooo!

Short Rondele Spreadable Cheese!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
and thus we have the actual reason that United closed the CLE hub. Where do you have a, possibly marginal, mostly regional operation all in one place?

CLE.

Whack CLE, you can take out those RJ's and the rest of the system (the part they really care about) won't suffer.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:55 pm

Let's see if we can continue bashing UA management for downsizing their CLE base, thereby shrinking future profit?

Per a WSJ article (and they do do their homework), this isn't a problem that UA is facing alone. With a huge shortage or airline pilots, pilots will leave express carriers (where they are paid less) for more lucrative offers. Supply and demand. This is good in many ways. Wages for pilots and other labor groups will lift up. They've been depressed for many years. It will lead to higher airfares, as capacity will shrink, which airlines can use to cover increased labor costs. The bad news is that many communities will end up with fewer frequencies and destinations or lose service completely.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by iker
Let's see if we can continue bashing UA management for downsizing their CLE base, thereby shrinking future profit?

Per a WSJ article (and they do do their homework), this isn't a problem that UA is facing alone. With a huge shortage or airline pilots, pilots will leave express carriers (where they are paid less) for more lucrative offers. Supply and demand. This is good in many ways. Wages for pilots and other labor groups will lift up. They've been depressed for many years. It will lead to higher airfares, as capacity will shrink, which airlines can use to cover increased labor costs. The bad news is that many communities will end up with fewer frequencies and destinations or lose service completely.
I for one don't bash UAL for dumping the CLE hub. Running a RJ hub, with ORD next door, made no sense. Frankly, I'm surprised it did not happen sooner.

This said, I will comment that Delta saw this coming, and went to a strategy of "upgaging" which allowed it to deal better with this issue while also reducing its CASM. AA did this to a lesser degree. Jeff? Well he planed to add only 17 E-175s per discussion in the 4Q 2013 quarterly results, 27 E-175s per the fleet plan (I don't know which is correct). Jeff now has the most capacity in RJs and no plan, other than shaving ASMs, to try to address it.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by spin88
I for one don't bash UAL for dumping the CLE hub. Running a RJ hub, with ORD next door, made no sense. Frankly, I'm surprised it did not happen sooner.

This said, I will comment that Delta saw this coming, and went to a strategy of "upgaging" which allowed it to deal better with this issue while also reducing its CASM. AA did this to a lesser degree. Jeff? Well he planed to add only 17 E-175s per discussion in the 4Q 2013 quarterly results, 27 E-175s per the fleet plan (I don't know which is correct). Jeff now has the most capacity in RJs and no plan, other than shaving ASMs, to try to address it.
pmUA also became horribly over-reliant on shifting flying to express carriers before the merger -- partly because pmUA couldn't afford to continue paying for or repairing their planes. I was in the process of boarding two separate UA mainline flights (while they were in Chapter 13) when the planes were repo'd and the flights canceled. Was classy.

Then-United management did what it had to do to try to maintain coverage.

I don't think it's really about current management not thinking about these issues in advance. I think they've had their hands full trying to knock off other things, which for myriad reasons presented their own set of challenges.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Express jet lost 81 pilots in Jan from a Captain friend who works there.

They are so short pilots he said there is no slack none. They can't get anyone to show up for new hire classes. Not surprising at a starting wage of 20K.

Express jet RJ's all have 10,000+ hours needing extra care but he said under UA they cut all out station maintenance. So nothing gets fixed causing more canceled flights.

He states the entire operation is in the toilet.

Jeff has relied to much on RJ's for UA.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by iker
I was in the process of boarding two separate UA mainline flights (while they were in Chapter 13) when the planes were repo'd and the flights canceled. Was classy.
Bankruptcy was painful, but I'm pretty sure UA went through CH 11 which stops any collateral retrieval efforts. Might you be thinking of some other airline? Was this domestic?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold

Delta had a headstart in that their BK concessionary pilots contract was initially more favorable to having 76 seaters (that's why they were allowed the CRJ900/E-175s). Then, the 717 contract that allowed more E175s was signed about a year before UAs similar matching contract was.

UA placed their order for the E175 as soon as they were contractually able via pilot's contract. You don't get every plane off the line once you place an order; it takes a while to ramp up the fleet.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
less of those miserable E145's in the system? hooray.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:10 am

In addition to the favorable contract Delta negotiated in BK, they also had the foresight to restructure 3 contract carriers, eliminating their 50 seat jets at once.

United's E-175 delivery stream is dependent on Embraer. The can't ramp up production to get United deliveries faster - United must take deliveries as they are available.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
less of those miserable E145's in the system? hooray.
A big +1 - hopefully one of these years we'll see a noticeable change in UA's industry-worst RJ position
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Say what you will about delta, but their RJ situation is much stronger than anyone else's at the moment. As for the 145s, are we really complaining about them when compared to the q400 death traps usair and united enjoy flying so much....
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:33 am

WN/B6/VX must be loving this.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Say what you will about delta, but their RJ situation is much stronger than anyone else's at the moment. As for the 145s, are we really complaining about them when compared to the q400 death traps usair and united enjoy flying so much....
The Q400 a death trap? It's as safe as any other plane in the sky today IMO. This pilot situation is going to change the RJ landscape drastically. The costs to get to 1500 hours just don't lend themselves to being paid minimum wage. Regional jet operators are just going to have to pay their pilots a whole lot more to keep them, which means its not going to make sense to fly 50 seat RJ's anymore. I do agree UA seems to be behind the times here, hopefully we see a big order of C Series or E195's from UA or it's RJ operators soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.