Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jlemon
We were originally booked at the old rate on an open jaw itinerary of LFT-IAH-FRA-VCE and then returning VIE-FRA-DFW-IAH-LFT with the TATL and intra-European flights in J on LH.

LFT-IAH r/t was in Y on UA Express (ERJ), IAH-FRA was in J on LH (A380), FRA-VCE and VIE-FRA were in biz on LH (A321 & A319), FRA-DFW on LH in J (A340) and DFW-IAH in F on UA Express (CR7). However, my fiancee then developed a case of severe pneumonia and this trip went out the window.

Good news, though.....I was able to rebook the following trip for April 2015 at the old rate: IAH-IAD on UA (Y and wait listed for F on a 757), IAD-VIE in J on OS (777), VIE-VCE on OS in Y (Q400), VIE-MUC in OS in business (A319) and MUC-IAH in BusinessFirst on UA (764).

The only bad news here is that I was unable to get seats at the old rate between LFT and IAH (also tried BTR-IAH, MSY-IAH and LCH-IAH r/t but no joy), so I'll probably just buy two round trip tickets between LFT and IAH as I really do not want to drive back and forth to Houston......

And BTW, during my search on UA.com, I was unable to find any available J seats for the TATL segments on LH at the Saver rates........not one.
Did u book online?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Simple date change to one segment of a pre-deval *A F award - same flight, same cabin, just a different day - took 15 minutes, two waits on hold, and one "check with my supervisor."

Agent was super pleasant though. Answered "1K Desk" which I have not heard in a while.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by pbd456
Did u book online?
Yes, I did.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jlemon
Yes, I did.
Interesting. I have a few more one way tickets that I can change!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:28 pm

Original ticket
TPE-LAX BR I

New Ticket
TSA-HND NH I
NRT-JFK NH O
JFK-LAX UA X.

after two holds, the ticket is changed for 10000 miles + tax difference.

Anyone know why I can't change into EWR-LAX? they said its openjaw if I do that.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:49 pm

Just made another successful change, without issue or question, by calling the 'web support' number listed in this thread.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Have an upcoming LH F ticket. Tried to change OS J for a more direct routing; different date. Agent found the seats and went to process the mileage refund but then came back with 'post-April we have to collect the new mileage' and I now owed 5000 miles. She wouldn't budge. Web Support line, because I couldn't change it online (the one way return leg was changeable online without issues).

Not sure if they are cracking down but I guess I'll start the HUACA roulette...
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Update to above: Called 1K line changed LH F to LH F, different departure airports, same dest. No questions, change was made, no extra miles requested. YMMV.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:17 am

I know this is forum for successful changes... But I have not been able to make any change to my ticket because agent and supervisor have been putting comment into my record saying that routing through Europe to Asia is invalid routing!!! @#$@%!

I really wish that United would publish a black and white rule online so that there is nothing like "you are asking us to do something that is against the rule". I am not trying to game the system but I have been trying to tell them that the system actually allows you to book online too through Europe and even crossing both oceans.

I did HUCA multiple times and that has resulted in too many comments I know people has been PM UA Insider but is that the proper channel to go through? Shouldn't UA Insider take some action on this and work on getting a clear definite rule published online?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I had a PEK-BKK-FRA-MUC-YYZ award booked during the MUC-YYZ LH F accidental release back in Sep.2013

I made several (I think about 5) changes (including one online) to it as LH space became available starting 2 weeks before the flight, to end up with my optimal routing (including a change from PEK to PVG) - it still ended up via Europe.

At no point did anyone ask for more miles, and as a bonus, somehow the German tax got lost in the recalcs
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qplazm1982
I know this is forum for successful changes... But I have not been able to make any change to my ticket because agent and supervisor have been putting comment into my record saying that routing through Europe to Asia is invalid routing!!! @#$@%!

I really wish that United would publish a black and white rule online so that there is nothing like "you are asking us to do something that is against the rule". I am not trying to game the system but I have been trying to tell them that the system actually allows you to book online too through Europe and even crossing both oceans.

I did HUCA multiple times and that has resulted in too many comments I know people has been PM UA Insider but is that the proper channel to go through? Shouldn't UA Insider take some action on this and work on getting a clear definite rule published online?
Unfortunately not - you're probably not going to have any success going that way. Once your recorded is notated you're pretty much SOL as I experienced earlier this year.

It's unfortunate but nothing we can really do about it
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: RVT 1K
I got an upcoming trip in a few weeks I need to put off for a few months, it was booked last november, has anyone been successful at cancelling and not re-depositing the miles then rebooking weeks later?

This is a complex US-SE Asia via Europe itin so doubt I can rebook online without it going error on me!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I'm starting to think booking these US-Asia itineraries through europe is more a lot of trouble and I would be better off just booking straight from US to Asia. For christmas 2014, I booked a year out (prior to deval) YQG(windsor)-YYZ-FRA-BKK-PEK on AC,AC biz,TG F, TG F. I thought I had a pretty good routing as going through Europe would let me leave after work rather than the next morning or afternoon, and I could only improve it by changing to a LH F at T-14.

Well first problem, AC pushed up YYZ-FRA so that the connection in YYZ is too short, now I either have to leave on an earlier YQG-YYZ or switch to DTW-YYZ (ok as I'm closer to DTW, but the flight is still earlier than I would like).

Second problem, TG changed BKK-PEK from 747 to 777 (slopey biz seats). i know I know first first world problems, but ugh.

I've booked many F awards non-stop to asia and never had any schedule or equip changes, but two on this one? cmon! Thankfully I snagged two F seats on CX on the way back.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I'm starting to think booking these US-Asia itineraries through europe is more a lot of trouble and I would be better off just booking straight from US to Asia. For christmas 2014, I booked a year out (prior to deval) YQG(windsor)-YYZ-FRA-BKK-PEK on AC,AC biz,TG F, TG F. I thought I had a pretty good routing as going through Europe would let me leave after work rather than the next morning or afternoon, and I could only improve it by changing to a LH F at T-14.

Well first problem, AC pushed up YYZ-FRA so that the connection in YYZ is too short, now I either have to leave on an earlier YQG-YYZ or switch to DTW-YYZ (ok as I'm closer to DTW, but the flight is still earlier than I would like).

Second problem, TG changed BKK-PEK from 747 to 777 (slopey biz seats). i know I know first first world problems, but ugh.

I've booked many F awards non-stop to asia and never had any schedule or equip changes, but two on this one? cmon! Thankfully I snagged two F seats on CX on the way back.
why dont you just wait for LH YYZ-FRA or DTW-FRA to open up?
CA F is also an excellent product on FRA-PEK (or any 777)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by rankourabu
why dont you just wait for LH YYZ-FRA or DTW-FRA to open up?
CA F is also an excellent product on FRA-PEK (or any 777)
The reason I booked YGQ-YYZ-FRA was because when the calendar opened, only AC had seats, not UA, and I wanted to leave as late as possible to avoid taking time off from work on day of departure. My alternative was to switch to DTW-ORD/IAD-MUC (no LH flights to FRA that leave late) on UA/LH but that needs UA to open up DTW-ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.