Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by BigBossman
It was always an F award, so I believe you can only change to the same or a lower cabin and not to a higher cabin in order to not trigger a re-price

I was holding my breath the change would go through, but the 1K agent was great!

Now we are dealing with:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,
.............. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
UA Insider says three times that "cabin can't change." I thought that it should have been clarified from the start as to what you can do if you booked an F award.

Last edited by BF263533; Feb 6, 2014 at 3:34 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Yes. The intent is to show successful changes. By example others can see what is possible. Please feel free to post your successful changes to itineraries booked prior to February 3 and changed after February 3.
Sure, but this seems to imply that there will be unsuccessful changes. If an unlucky one who runs into difficulties trying to make a change that should be successful (for instance, refused by a supervisor), we would also want to know - it will give a picture of how well UA has propagated the information in its system.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Sure, but this seems to imply that there will be unsuccessful changes. If an unlucky one who runs into difficulties trying to make a change that should be successful (for instance, refused by a supervisor), we would also want to know - it will give a picture of how well UA has propagated the information in its system.
I said at post No. 2083 of the outdated, now confusing thread:

Originally Posted by BF263533
On Feb. 1 I guess we will see a new thread: "What reward changes did you make and did it trigger a price increase?"
Editing the topic could be helpful.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Here's another report:

Originally Posted by wyoon
Happily report to you that I was able to get an agent to exchange my ticket on my return LH light from I to O without any extra miles nor taxes not the fee.

Background: it was ticketed as part of F redemption from BKK-(TG O)-FRA-(LH I)-IAD. A FC seat became finally available on my return flight date Feb 16. I snatched the last seat!! Woohoo! Mind you the ticket was originally issued back in May last year. It wasn't ticketed before UA announcement for the additional mileage.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Changed DUB/FRA/MCO on LH/I to DUB/PHL/MCO on US/I. No mileage addition and a partial refund of taxes.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:38 am

On the phone now. Trying to change an internal Business class flights. After about 20 minutes said that they would do it, however didn't want to refund taxes/charges and wanted to charge me $100 per ticket to change. Online it was pricing out at $23.00 including the change fee (plus 10,000 points). The staff member was trying to suggest that there system glitch and I got lucky, but they will honor that. She really had no idea about changes to award bookings pre 3 feb. Great staff training United. Now waiting for a supervisor.

Ok after 50 minutes finally sorted I had to pay a change fee with credit card and then will get a refund on the taxes on charges, 2 different transactions.

Was also told the new ticket is issued and that any additional changes will incur the new fees/charges.

Last edited by ozdunkeroo; Feb 6, 2014 at 6:58 am Reason: update
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Can confirm changing an intra-Europe pre-deval 12.5k award to different origin/dest cities, does not trigger the additional 2.5k - at least online
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
Farelock?

I did a Farelock on Jan 31 for travel on March 7 in UA F for 67500 miles. Tried to purchase today, but no button to purchase?? Maybe with the award changeover the farelock does not work? Got 24h, any help appreciated!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:04 pm

Successfully changed my parents' itinerary from HKG-BKK-FRA-LIS-EWR in TG O and TAP I to HKG-BKK-FRA-LHR-EWR in TG O and UA O. No additional miles and a minor bump up in fees.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by ozdunkeroo
On the phone now. Trying to change an

Was also told the new ticket is issued and that any additional changes will incur the new fees/charges.
does this mean you cant make multiple changes at different times without getting the new fees?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
does this mean you cant make multiple changes at different times without getting the new fees?
I don't think that's what it means. If you aren't Plat or 1k, fees will be charged depending on change, as they always have.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Has anyone tried changing a segment of a F saver ticket thats operated by 2 class service to a carrier with 3 class service and picking up F space? I have a few awards like this that might be handy if F opens up on one of the 3 class carriers handling the route.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by vielflieger
I did a Farelock on Jan 31 for travel on March 7 in UA F for 67500 miles. Tried to purchase today, but no button to purchase?? Maybe with the award changeover the farelock does not work? Got 24h, any help appreciated!
Just call them. I think they will wave the fee if you Farelocked.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lazard
I too am curious about people's success with changes. I have an itinerary next January of
HKG-BKK in TG I
BKK-FRA in TG O
FRA-LIS in LH I
LIS-EWR in TAP I

Am hoping to be able to change the FRA-LIS-EWR segments to a direct FRA-JFK on LH F at T-10 without incurring an additional miles fee.
Originally Posted by lazard
Successfully changed my parents' itinerary from HKG-BKK-FRA-LIS-EWR in TG O and TAP I to HKG-BKK-FRA-LHR-EWR in TG O and UA O. No additional miles and a minor bump up in fees.
I was going to say the original wont work. the JFK/EWR change would trigger a re-price. What I have been advised by friends at UA is as follows:

1. O & D can't change, connections can

2. Class changes are based off the current highest fare booked. ie: If you have an I award, and find F seats (even on the same plane) then no dice! If you have an I/O award with an X or I segment you can upgrade the lower segment(s) to the highest level of the award. So X's can go to I's and I's can go to O's as long as that upgrade is no higher then the original ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by footastic
Has anyone tried changing a segment of a F saver ticket thats operated by 2 class service to a carrier with 3 class service and picking up F space? I have a few awards like this that might be handy if F opens up on one of the 3 class carriers handling the route.
Yes I have done this. I had an O followed by a TATL I. Called and changed the I segment (2 Cabin) to a different (3 Cabin) flight, carrier, connection point onward to SAN into O.

WAS: O-I-I
NOW: O-O-I

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.