Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 5, 14, 11:31 am   #1

United Miles on US Airways Operated by American?

Ok, tell me if I'm wrong here regarding a codeshare/flight operated by another airline?

Situation: Found a flight designated as US Airways but Operated by American but can I get United Miles on it?!?!

I am aware of the March 31, 2014 deadline, I am aware of the merger obviously, I am aware of the obvious cans and cannots but is this a fluke or a legit thing? My corporate travel agency shows me allowing to put my United MileagePlus info ONTO the US Airways Operated by American flight...

Thoughts please!

-Chris
unique1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 14, 11:32 am   #2

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, WN A-List, Marriott Silver, Starwood Corporate (aka nobody)
No. Since AA is the operating carrier, you will not get UA miles for that flight.
tods27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 14, 11:38 am   #3
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Starwood LT Platinum (former Ambassador), Hyatt Platinum
Under MP rules, the operating carrier determines mileage eligibility, not market carrier. As such, US flight operated by AA would not earn any miles.
PTahCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 14, 12:35 pm   #4

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat, HH Silver, Avis PC
I have an upcoming flight in US Airways that is operated by Republic Airlines dba US Airways Express. Will that earn MP miles?

The MP rules for US Airways say nothing about US-coded operated by Republic Airlines or US Airways Express, just as they say nothing about US-coded operated by AA.
Old Feb 5, 14, 12:38 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
I have an upcoming flight in US Airways that is operated by Republic Airlines dba US Airways Express. Will that earn MP miles?

The MP rules for US Airways say nothing about US-coded operated by Republic Airlines or US Airways Express, just as they say nothing about US-coded operated by AA.
If on or before 3/30, the answer is yes.
UAPremExecflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 14, 12:56 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
If on or before 3/30, the answer is yes.
And how do you know that? Where does it say that Republic or US Airways Express flights count?
Old Feb 5, 14, 1:13 pm   #7

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Global Entry
Quote:
And how do you know that? Where does it say that Republic or US Airways Express flights count?
US Airways Express flights count.
kenn0223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 14, 1:44 pm   #8

Programs: UA Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
US Airways Express flights count.
US and all of it's express partners are in *A until March 30, so any flight operated by US or one of it's express carriers will earn MP miles if flown on or before March 30. These flights have always earned MP miles. AA operated flights, even if they are US codeshares, have never (and will never) earned MP miles.

Also there is no such thing as a "Republic" flight for mileage earning purposes - this flight is marketed and sold as US Airways Express in this case which is why the MP webpages don't list it. If you bought an AA marketed and sold flight operated by Republic you would not earn MP miles. I can see how the language is a bit confusing but a US Airways "codeshare" operated by AA is different than a US Airways Express flight "operated' by Republic or Expressjet or any other regional carrier.

UA could make this easier to understand by excluding all US Airways flight numbers that are codeshares with AA from earning MP miles (I assume there's a standard range of flight numbers), but then how often are they actually "flyer-friendly" these days.

EDIT: I might be wrong that US codeshares on AA have a specific set of flight numbers. I looked through the schedule and can't tell just based on flight number whether the flight is operated by US or AA. Quite confusing for those of us who still want to credit to MP. I guess just pay close attention to operating carrier.

Last edited by BrianCUnited; Feb 5, 14 at 2:02 pm.
BrianCUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 14, 1:52 pm   #9

Let me flip the original question around: Will an AA-marketed flight operated by US earn UA miles? (I believe the answer is yes, but just wanted to double-check)
jblankoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 14, 1:57 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblankoh View Post
Let me flip the original question around: Will an AA-marketed flight operated by US earn UA miles? (I believe the answer is yes, but just wanted to double-check)
I believe the answer is yes as well, until March 30.
Old Feb 5, 14, 7:30 pm   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCUnited View Post
Also there is no such thing as a "Republic" flight for mileage earning purposes - this flight is marketed and sold as US Airways Express in this case which is why the MP webpages don't list it. If you bought an AA marketed and sold flight operated by Republic you would not earn MP miles.
This is where is gets confusing. You can fly PHL-CMH on a US flight number operated by Republic and earn MP miles; or you can fly PHL-ORD on a US flight number operated by Republic and not earn MP miles. Fortunately this will all be over in a few weeks before the insanity gets out of control.
Old Feb 7, 14, 9:04 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
No. Since AA is the operating carrier, you will not get UA miles for that flight.
I realize this wasn't what the OP was asking, but OneWorld is the opposite. You get miles based on the flight number. So if you're flying Qantas on a QF flight number and crediting to AA, you get the miles per the Qantas chart. If you're on the exact same flight but ticketed with an AA flight number, you get miles per the AA award chart.
danpeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 14, 9:56 am   #13

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblankoh View Post
Doesn't this belong in the Trick It thread?
Old Feb 7, 14, 1:52 pm   #14

Programs: UA PL*G (0.60 BIS MM), HHonors Gold
Quote:
This is where is gets confusing. You can fly PHL-CMH on a US flight number operated by Republic and earn MP miles; or you can fly PHL-ORD on a US flight number operated by Republic and not earn MP miles. Fortunately this will all be over in a few weeks before the insanity gets out of control.
Why ?

I assume you meant AA flight number operated by Republic and not earn MP miles, not US.

You do know that there are UA express operated by Republic too right ? It is the exact same thing.

This is not new at all, no matter *A, oneworld, or skyteam, there are so many flights that are codeshare and operated by another carrier, it is always the metal determines what you earn.
ORDnHKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 14, 2:00 pm   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
Why ?

I assume you meant AA flight number operated by Republic and not earn MP miles, not US.

You do know that there are UA express operated by Republic too right ? It is the exact same thing.

This is not new at all, no matter *A, oneworld, or skyteam, there are so many flights that are codeshare and operated by another carrier, it is always the metal determines what you earn.
I think what OP meant was you could fly on a Republic operated flight, marketed as AA but possibly sold by US and carrying a US flight number since most AA flights are now also US codeshares. Thus you are on a "US" flight operated by Republic for AA and thus no miles. Or you could buy a US Airways Express flight operated by Republic and earn MP miles; thus it's not quite the "exact same thing" for mileage earning purposes.

I can see how it would be confusing, but if you buy a US ticket on the US Airways website they do indicate the flights that are "operated by AA" or an AA affiliate. Don't book those if you want MP miles.