Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage (PQDs, PQMs, RDMs) earning when purchasing Chase Ultimate Reward UA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage (PQDs, PQMs, RDMs) earning when purchasing Chase Ultimate Reward UA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Curious...do you see any indication of the "BULK" designator prior to actually completing the purchase.

I am assuming these are created only after you have made the purchase....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold
UPDATE -

So I had another back and forth with United and, once again, they refuse to honor any PQDs because of the "bulk" designation as everyone has been talking about above.

However, given that others say they've successfully used Ultimate Rewards point for PQDs then what we've got here is a problem of transparency. There seems to be virtually no way to know whether you're going to get PQDs or not! This is a friggin' pain in the butt which hopefully someone at United (or Chase) will do something about ... fingers crossed.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I have a Mileage Plus Select card and have used the Choices to refund the cost of tix after they are purchased. Not sure if UR works like this but there is no way they could deny you PQD. You are just redeeming the credit card charge with the miles and it has to be purchased on UA.com with the Mileage Plus credit card. In fact you can do this up to 90 days after you purchase the ticket, even if you have already flown.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Billygreg
I have a Mileage Plus Select card and have used the Choices to refund the cost of tix after they are purchased. Not sure if UR works like this but there is no way they could deny you PQD. You are just redeeming the credit card charge with the miles and it has to be purchased on UA.com with the Mileage Plus credit card. In fact you can do this up to 90 days after you purchase the ticket, even if you have already flown.
The difference in the Choice Points program is the ticket was purchased direct on united.com at published fares. With the UR program, the ticket was purchased via Chase TA and may not be a published fare.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by djc205
I have been redeeming heavily using Thank You points (as well as Ultimate Rewards - both use the same travel vendor)
Chase uses Spirit Incentives?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The difference in the Choice Points program is the ticket was purchased direct on united.com at published fares. With the UR program, the ticket was purchased via Chase TA and may not be a published fare.
From what I could tell, when you go through UR to book tickets, you could use one of two options

A) Cash + Points
B) Cash

However, the Cash + Points option is completely flexible in tuning the ratio of cash or points, with the value of points set to 0.012 cents per point, and the total value of the ticket set to equal the cash price of the ticket. So at least at the point of ordering, there's a distinct cost of the fare that's being published. Moreover, in my experience in purchasing tickets through UR, that cost in terms of dollars has always been the same as fare that shows up on UA or through ITA.

So I honestly haven't seen anything that can really qualify as unpublished fares through UR for this layman. I do see that the tickets that I purchased through UR with cash has credited with PQD's, so I don't know how the "same cost" tickets in terms of points-only or points + cash wouldn't or shouldn't credit with the same PQD. Granted, the TA that UR uses may separate out tickets that were paid with points-only or points + cash from cash-only and use "bulk" tickets, but that seems to be something that Chase can and should do something about.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Definitely makes me happy to be exempt from the PQD scheme as a 1MM (at least as long as I'm OK with PG).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I think this a great move. No problem with points plans bring used for travel, but they should not contribute to status over those using cash
+1 Someone needed to say it ^^
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Club Carlson, Avis
It seems the travel rewards, specifically the ones redeemed via points, is managed by "Connexions Loyalty Travel Solutions LLC" for Ultimate Rewards, Thank You points & the FIA card services (probably World Point travel resumptions). At least the redemption site appears to be the same.

To my knowledge I don't recall seeing anything different from the reservation prior to the purchase that would have made it different from the others. I've only seen this BULK CHECK a few times, fortunately the flights for this year do not indicate this in the eReceipt, so hopefully they all count!

Spirit Incentives, they I believe, were used for those tickets purchased with the 15% off or "free" companion ticket with the Premier Thank You Card, different then the point redemption.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this a great move. No problem with points plans bring used for travel, but they should not contribute to status over those using cash
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
+1 Someone needed to say it ^^
For some credit cards you have no way of knowing if your friend who got PQD used points or cash. Take any CC that issues travel points that can be used after the fact to offset a charge on you statement. As far as UA knows it was a cash purchase but the person use their points to offset the cost of the ticket all within their CC vendor environment. So as far as you or UA knows they paid cash but in effect they used points and it would contribute to status. No way for UA to police this. And people using vouchers from UA to offset the price of a ticket seem to get full PQD value of the ticket (depending on type of voucher I think) so what is the difference with that? There are just too many ways a ticket can be paid for and not cost the customer actual money in the end no one could police them all.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by djc205
I have been redeeming heavily using Thank You points (as well as Ultimate Rewards - both use the same travel vendor), in the eReceipt I have occasionally seen "BULK CHECK" as the payment method - otherwise I tend to see various last 4 digits of credit cards - probably those booked with the BULK CHECK are like you said - now I haven't flown any this year yet that were purchased with either program, my first one will be 2/21, but I just checked (because of this thread) and all my future reservations show credit card digits so hopefully I'm correct in assuming it may be limited to those BULK CHECK flights only... who knows why some are done that way while others are not.

"BULK" eTicket (FIA Card Services):

Credit Card eTicket (Thank You Network):
Question: did you do a points + cash option for either reservation. I am in the same boat in that I have a reservation that shows airfare as "Bulk Check" that was redeem solely with points and another reservation with the airfare as a $ amount that was redeem using both points plus cash.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Billygreg
Capital One Rewards work the same way: buy your ticket first on the airline website; and, then use points to pay the travel-related charge on the credit card bill within 90 days
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I disagree with that a bit. I believe UA gets full payment even when using UR points to book a reservation. I just booked one and used 20K points to bring down the cost but my receipt which just showed up on UA.com shows the full price of the ticket and I fully expect to get full PQD for this.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
Thank you points and United

Has anyone redeem their ThankYou points for a ticket on United and how do you earn your PQD on that ticket?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by chgodude
Has anyone redeem their ThankYou points for a ticket on United and how do you earn your PQD on that ticket?
Ah! It has been a long time since the last time I did it and it was before the PQD era :-)

You redeem your Thank you points on the Citibank's Thank you POINT TRAVEL WEBSITE and as far as the airline is concern, they only see cash, not the Thank you POINTS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.