Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

What will UA charge on an itinerary with connecting flights? It depends on how you query the systems. The same exact flights can vary by more than 40% in cost depending on the search parameters used. Consider these examples. Which booking would you choose?

And it isn't limited to that market.

Essentially UA doesn't know how to assemble fares for connecting itineraries. Buyer beware.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:21 am

Whenever I need to take a connection on UA I always price the outright connection vs. the individual flights.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:36 am
Original Poster

And here's what the searches look like to generate those differing results (at least for the PIT-PHX itinerary):

Search 1:

Search 2:

Search 3:

The PIT-BWI and BWI-FLL are similar.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is a pretty well-known effect where the faring system does not apply married segments logic when you do a multi-city search. I always search both ways for that reason. I would NOT like to see this fixed, as it creates an accidental windfall for the customer.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:45 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I sure as heck wouldn't call it "deceptive". It is exactly as shown. Decrptive pricing is where the bill differs from what is offered. One could call it many things, but surely not deceptive.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by sbm12

Essentially UA doesn't know how to assemble fares for connecting itineraries. Buyer beware.
Actually it does - it's doing it to maximize revenue on connections using married segments, and they have been doing this since the merger. In other cases, they'll split fare on 2 different segments instead of a through fare. Nothing new.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This is a pretty well-known effect where the faring system does not apply married segments logic when you do a multi-city search. I always search both ways for that reason. I would NOT like to see this fixed, as it creates an accidental windfall for the customer.
Right, I think that the correct "fix" for this behavior would only ever cause prices to go up.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Where's the windfall for a customer? UA is actively charging more than it should in most cases. How is that in favor of the consumer?? If they say they are offering the cheapest fare and they are not that is hardly creating a windfall. Moreover, the cheaper fare is as a result of it pricing as a "normal" round-trip fare rather than end-on-end of multiple fares. It is backwards from what logic would suggest.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Actually it does - it's doing it to maximize revenue on connections using married segments, and they have been doing this since the merger. In other cases, they'll split fare on 2 different segments instead of a through fare. Nothing new.
I would agree if the pricing were different for different flights. I get that. Charge me more if I want the more efficient flight by fewer/shorter connections. But if the exact same itinerary can have multiple different prices that's not at all reasonable. This is the airline screwing passengers.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
This is the airline screwing passengers.
No kidding, welcome to United, Flyer Friendly....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:07 am

UA is certainly not alone. One can find similar examples on the other carriers. Prudent customers need to be smart customers (or employee one of the few remaining smart travel agents).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Where's the windfall for a customer? UA is actively charging more than it should in most cases. How is that in favor of the consumer?? If they say they are offering the cheapest fare and they are not that is hardly creating a windfall. Moreover, the cheaper fare is as a result of it pricing as a "normal" round-trip fare rather than end-on-end of multiple fares. It is backwards from what logic would suggest.
That's an interesting set of examples. IMHO it shows that UA is not honoring its published Customer Commitment.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...omerfirst.aspx

Advise about lowest available fares
On our website, at our ticket counters and city ticket offices, or when customers call United Reservations to inquire about a fare or reservation, we will tell customers that the lowest fare we offer may be available through one of our other sales channels, if that is the case.

Since airlines offered the Customer Commitment elements in 1999 to forestall legislative requirements, this looks DOT-complaint worthy to me.

http://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/dot/fil.../av2001020.pdf
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a "known known".
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:25 am

I would agree if the pricing were different for different flights. I get that. Charge me more if I want the more efficient flight by fewer/shorter connections. But if the exact same itinerary can have multiple different prices that's not at all reasonable. This is the airline screwing passengers.
Huh? UA is not charging more or less than it "should." The married-segments price might be less or more than the alternative on any given flight, but that's what UA is trying to charge, and that's the correct price. Anything else is a mistake. There's no "should" about it...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps the most shocking thing to me is that there is one blogger who a.) still practices investigative journalism, b.) posts about it on FT! ^
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's arguably deceptive if you take into account UA's "guarantee" that you will get its lowest available fare booking on .com:

When it comes to finding the lowest United® fare online, we guarantee you will find it on united.com.

What they don't disclose is that their booking engine will not actually show find you the lowest available fare for a connecting route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.