Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Marriott
Did u have a 1K or GS United MileagePlus account permanently closed by MP Compliance?

Hi,

I am a United Airlines Global Services member with almost 1M in lifetime mileage.

I received an email from MPCompliance stating that as a result of violating Rule 5, Rule 7, Rule 10, they have:

"permanently closed your account, cancelled all accrued mileage, downgraded any outstanding reservations using your upgrades and cancelled any outstanding award tickets issued using mileage as form of payment"

I'm in firm belief that I did not violate these rules, but have not been able to contact MP Compliance to discuss the account or resolve the situation.

I'm looking for other 1K or GS Members who had their United MileagePlus account permanently closed by MP Compliance.

{removed personal info } {Use PM to contact me} if you have had success resolving this situation or to discuss your experience if you (like me) are still stuck.

Thank you,
Brian

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2017 at 2:58 pm Reason: removed personal infomation please FT practice
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BrianTRaine
Hi,

I am a United Airlines Global Services member with almost 1M in lifetime mileage.

I received an email from MPCompliance stating that as a result of violating Rule 5, Rule 7, Rule 10, they have:

"permanently closed your account, cancelled all accrued mileage, downgraded any outstanding reservations using your upgrades and cancelled any outstanding award tickets issued using mileage as form of payment"

I'm in firm belief that I did not violate these rules, but have not been able to contact MP Compliance to discuss the account or resolve the situation.

I'm looking for other 1K or GS Members who had their United MileagePlus account permanently closed by MP Compliance. ...
Welcome to FT!, BrianTRaine

Moved your post into a thread with multiple examples of 1K/GS accounts closed for selling / bartering or otherwise improper using of GPUs / miles / and /or other certs.

While the may be exceptions, the evidence seems UA is usually on pretty good grounds when they make this move. UA and the other airlines are very zealous in preventing members from monetizing elite benefits.

All normal channels of communication will be blocked and the other channel that you have will be via the fraud / compliance group. Any attempts to misrepresent your activities will not help the situation. Find out the specific actions you are accused of and address their concerns.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2017 at 3:51 pm Reason: Welcome
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: None - previously UA

I'm in firm belief that I did not violate these rules.
I suspect you're going to need to provide some more details to get the advice you're looking for.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I don't think that UA is axing a GS member without really good reasoning.

If you've sold or bartered any of your elite benefits or miles, you're in violation of the T&C, and are subject to account termination. It's the same thing over at DL. Idiots try to sell gifted Silver or Gold status all the time on eBay. If DL can trace the culprit, it generally doesn't work out well for them.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Rule 10:
The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited.
Note that this rule prohibits the "attempted" sale or barter of miles, upgrades, etc. So all you have to do is offer those for sale, and UA can close your account, confiscate your miles, etc. There is no right to a hearing, due process, or anything else. Their program, their rules, their penalties.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Without details, nobody here can even begin to help you.

As a starting point, it doesn't matter that you are -- perhaps better put, were -- GS. What matters is what UA believes you did and what you actually did.

Remember, that UA is the sole decision-maker here, so don't sugar coat it. What happened?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am in firm belief that those at United will find your firm belief to be mistaken. But we're all ears. What happened?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
OP says UA claims he violated rules 5, 7, and 10. Those all fall under improper transfer, sale, barter.

Rule 5: The accumulation of mileage, certificates and/or Premier Qualifying Credits and/or the redemption of awards are subject to these Rules. The accumulation of mileage, certificates and/or Premier qualification and/or Premier status (or Million Miler status) do not entitle Members to any vested rights with respect to the Program, including without limitation, any awards or Premier benefits (or Million Miler benefits). No mileage, benefits, certificates, Premier Qualifying Credits, account numbers, Premier (and/or Million Miler) status or awards earned or granted under the Program may be transferred or assigned except as expressly permitted by United in writing or under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by United.

Rule 7: Accrued mileage, Premier (and/or Million Miler) status levels, Premier (and/or Million Miler) benefits, Premier Qualifying Credits and certificates do not constitute property of the Member and are not transferable except as set forth herein. Accrued mileage may be transferred to another MileagePlus account through United’s Transfer Miles Program. Members must comply with the Transfer Miles Program Terms and Conditions found on united.com. In the event of the death or divorce of a Member, United may, in its sole discretion, credit all or a portion of such Member’s accrued mileage to authorized persons upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to United and payment of applicable fees.

Prohibition of sale or barter
Rule 10: The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status sold, bartered or otherwise transferred is in violation of the Rules and any accounts or Members involved in such sales, barters or other transfers may be subject to United’s Remedies. The acquisition, use, transfer or attempted acquisition, use or transfer of mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other transfer in violation of the Rules may result in United’s exercise of United’s Remedies.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I'm in firm belief that I did not violate these rules...
If you do talk to them, 'fess up. Don't dig a hole deeper when you're in it. They've probably heard every excuse and/or denial. A recent common one is apparently "I didn't sell them the miles/certs/etc!!! I gave it/them to the other person for free as part of the travel advice I was selling!". United knows what is really happening is the sale of the benefit.

I'll echo the others - United isn't going to boot someone (and especially a GS) if they don't have a good case - a case that they only have to make to themselves.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 6, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:44 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
...I'm in firm belief that I did not violate these rules, but have not been able to contact MP Compliance to discuss the account or resolve the situation....
Your wording implies that there is a difference of opinion that you're going to be arguing with UA, and those arguments rarely go in your favor, because as others above point out, something you did probably falls into their list of no-nos. You probably are going to argue that nothing actually took place (in terms of a final sale), but there is some evidence that you offered something for sale, which in UA's terms is violating the contract.

It would serve your own best interest to say explicitly what you did here quickly, for people to want to help you. Delaying and being ambiguous will not help you here, if you want advice!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On a somewhat more positive note, sometimes people have gotten into trouble when they have quite property given award tickets to friends/relatives/acquaintances who have themselves engages in forbidden activities, such as selling miles to a broker. You might want to question any recipients of gifts from your UA account.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
I have yet to see an example of someone coming here to post who was truly innocent of doing something that was alleged.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On a somewhat more positive note, sometimes people have gotten into trouble when they have quite property given award tickets to friends/relatives/acquaintances who have themselves engages in forbidden activities, such as selling miles to a broker. You might want to question any recipients of gifts from your UA account.
Are there examples of this being resolved in favour of the person with closed account or are these just excuses given by those who don't want to admit they sold miles? I find this hard to believe. Don't miles and instuments have to be designated to a recipient by the account holder how could I give it to Peter and unknown to me he sells it to Paul?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, I'm thinking of cases where someone is implicated because they gave a ticket to Peter, not knowing that previously Peter sold (other) miles to Paul, the broker. When the broker is detected, all of the broker's buyers and sellers are implicated, and fraud detection then traces back through all of those persons' contacts, etc. throughout the network of transactions.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: *
But surely the person passing the instruments to the broker cannot be innocent? If you are upgrading a friend or family then by.chance the person is also a dealer in UA instruments? Very unlikely isn't it? Did this actually happen in a known case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.