Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 United Club (UC) Thread for Changes, News, Features, Competitive Position, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Please see click here for the 2015 UC Thread.

New United Club alcohol selection beginning on 10-Sep-2013:

Beer
Free:
Bud Light (minus IAD/DEN), Coors Light (IAD/DEN/JFK), MGD (IAH/MCO/PHL/DEN/HNL/DCA), Budweiser (SFO when they run out of Bud Light), Miller drafts, Miller Lite & MGD bottle (CLE), Coors Light & MGD draft (PDX), Coors Light draft and MD bottle (MSP), MGD bottle (BOS)

Regional Beers ($3 for a small glass, ~6-10oz depending upon the bartender):
BOS -
CLE - Heineken, Great Lakes Dortmunder (and appears to be a 10 oz pour)
DCA - Heineken (draft), Blue Moon, Sam Adams
DEN - Heineken, Blue Moon
DFW - Blue Moon, Batch 19
EWR - Heineken, Sam Adams, Brooklyn Lager, Blue Point Pale Ale
HNL - Longboard (in bottles, tap available before the downgrade is now gone)
IAD - Heineken, Sam Adams
IAH - Heineken, Shiner Bock, St Arnolds (specific St Arnolds brew changes seasonally)
JFK -
LAS - Heineken, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
LAX - Heineken, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
LGA - Heineken, Corona
MCO - Hurricane Reef (Florida Beer Company Melbourne FL), Heineken bottle, Yuengling bottle
MSP - Heineken, Lift Bridge Farm Girl Saison, Summit Extra Pale Ale (all bottles)
ORD - Heineken, Goose Island, Sam Adams
PDX - Heineken, Dead Man
PHL - Yuengling
SAN - Heineken, Karl Strauss
SEA - Pyramid Hefeweizen
SFO - Heineken, Big Daddy IPA, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Wine
White:
Sycamore Lane Chardonnay, CA - Free
Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio Valdadige, IT $12
Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, NZ $14
Groth Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley $12
Rutherford Hill Chardonnay Napa Valley $14
Franciscan Estate Chardonnay, Napa Valley $12

Red:
Sycamore Lane Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - Free
Twisted Cabernet Sauvignon - Free
Mark West Pinot Noir, Napa Valley $13
Rutherford Hill Merlot, Napa Valley $14
Terrazas 'Las Compuertas Vineyard' Malbec, Mendoza, AR $15
Dona Paula Estate Malbec, Mendoza, AR $13
Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley, CA $15
Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon, CA $13

Sparkling:
Prosecco Mionetto Brut Prosecco D.O.C. Valdobliadene, IT $12
Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label, Champagne, FR $14

$3 discount on all wine if you pay with your MileagePlus Club Card or Presidential Plus Card

Liquor
Vodka:
McCormick's: Free
Bellows: Free (ORD)
Popov: Free (DEN)
Gordon's: Free (JFK, SFO)
Stoli $9
Tito's $7
Ketel One $11
Grey Goose $11

Gin:
Gordon's: Free (EWR, JFK, SFO)
Beefeater $7
Bombay Sapphire $11
Hendricks $11

Tequila:
Capitan: Free (JFK)
Cuervo Gold $7
Patron Silver $11
Patron Reposado $11

Rum:
Montego Bay or McCormick's: Free
Castillo: Free (JFK)
Bacardi $7
Captain Morgan $9
10 Cane $11

Whiskey:
McCormick's: Free (AUS, ORD)
Barton Reserve: Free (SFO)
Evan Williams: Free (IAD)
Seagrams (LAX) *may still be lingering from comp days*
Jim Beam $7
Canadian Club $7
Jameson $9
Jack Daniels $11
Crown Royale $11
Woodford Reserve $11

Scotch:
McCormick's: Free (AUS, LAX)
House of Stuart: Free (LAS)
Scoresby: Free (JFK)
Dewar's White Label $7
Chivas Regal $11
Glennfiddich 12 Year $11

Brandy/Cognac:
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. $9
Hennessy XO $11

Cordials (all $6):
Bailey's
Campari
Disaronno
Kahlua
Grand Marnier

Thanks to MrColdShower for the initial info for this wikipost!

To send emails here are some addresses:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Social Media: @United #unitedclubdowngrade
Hub: https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pr...ited-club.aspx

United Club WiFi Authentication

Reports starting to appear -- July 2015 --- EWR, IAH, SFO, ORD, ....
Four option
  • UC Members - MP number and password/PIN
  • Star Gold - Confirmation number and surname
  • Business/First Class - Confirmation number and surname
  • Guest/One-time-pass/etc - A fixed "password of the day" which is on display inside the club
Has a "Remember Me" function for UC members, option for *A members and
New WIFI Authentication/Sign on at EWR United Club (MP#, PNR, or Password-of-the-Day)

Other Related Threads:

Reload this Page Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD

Print Wikipost

2014 United Club (UC) Thread for Changes, News, Features, Competitive Position, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm not a DL club member, yet I received this email too. I've been wishing for years that UA had better food ptions...
I've had them in AA AC's before and they're good & reasonable.

UA - falling behind yet again
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by MoJ0
...better to compete w/Amex CL and surpassing AA, cementing UA position as laggard (nicest way to put it, imho)
Laggard! Love it! Since apparently bottom line >> customer service, I'd expect permium$ on the "enhancements", perhaps above & beyond the jacked-up membership fees. UA/UC soon to follow? I'll take that bet...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:39 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
What's the renewal fee for a 1K?

I checked while logged in and it looks like UC wants $500 plus $50 (I've never paid a initiation to renew) for the "subscription"
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
What's the renewal fee for a 1K?

I checked while logged in and it looks like UC wants $500 plus $50 (I've never paid a initiation to renew) for the "subscription"
It's $4.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
There are scant few lounges outside the USA at which one has access without a BP for a same-day *A-operated flight: NRT, MEL, PTY, HKG, EZE, GRU, GUM & MEX. Any other access with that card requires a *A BP.
Guam is part of the USA...

DL announced some major changes to their club program (reduction in the guest policy) which I don't think is unreasonable, in order to reduce crowding. UA has a problem of their own creation with the "you're in" program where they push their credit cards like crazy and then they get these twice a year travelers clogging the clubs with their free passes, drinking all the 'free' booze they can.

I really can't see UA moving to improve the actual offerings, its just not in their DNA these days.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by entropy
DL announced some major changes to their club program (reduction in the guest policy) which I don't think is unreasonable, in order to reduce crowding. UA has a problem of their own creation with the "you're in" program where they push their credit cards like crazy and then they get these twice a year travelers clogging the clubs with their free passes, drinking all the 'free' booze they can.
You do realize that DL has even more different CC-based options which get customers in to the lounges, right??
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:15 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
No wifi auth needed at PHX or IAD this weekend. I was at IAD too early in the day to judge if the network performance was better than it used to be.

The lounge matron did effusively thank me for being a member and went on and on about "you're the reason we're here." I guess she's had to deal with a lot of complaints regarding the booze, the typical IAD crowds, wifi, etc. All I wanted was a coffee and a comfy seat to plop down in after my redeye for an hour or so, so my demands were fairly meager by comparison.

It's $4.
What about miles? When UA sent me my renewal e-mail, the site was asking 47,500 miles. I thought that was the new member, not renewal, price for 1Ks.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:16 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
It's $4.
Thanks. Same as the Admiral's Club for EXP, but they did not charge me an "initiation" fee for joining.

I'm done with the UC now two months early since I'm flying so much mainline AA instead of UAX.

I must say the ACs are much nicer, larger and better maintained.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by exerda
What about miles? When UA sent me my renewal e-mail, the site was asking 47,500 miles. I thought that was the new member, not renewal, price for 1Ks.
That's better than the currently published renewal price for 1K in miles, which is 5,.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like DL is going to emulate the AC MLL

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...amenities.html

And UA's expected response would be...

1) raise the membership fee, and

2) keep food and amenities exactly the same, or add food but charge separately for it

Sorry for my premature sarcasm, but if it quacks like a duck.....
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:25 am

Exclamation Changes you're going to like(TM)....on Delta. New Amenities in the lounge!

From Delta's discussion. I'd like to know how other United flyers (I am a 1K) feel about the fact we are getting our product offering reduced while Delta is improving it across the board.

UAInsider, please note that I cancelled my UA Club membership after the downgrade. It expires 2/1, and with this new change Delta keeps looking more and more like where I want to take my business travel.

FlyerTalkers –

As we continue to invest in the Delta Sky Clubs, we’re pleased to announce the launch of a new test program aimed at offering increased variety and quality in the complimentary food and beverage options within Clubs. We will begin by testing a new menu of food, beverages and complimentary services in 10 clubs across the country beginning in mid-February and running through late April.

Test products and services include:
- More food options, including pancakes and upgraded bagels for breakfast; sandwiches and hot soups mid-day; and hors d’oeuvres, antipasti and desert choices in the evening.
- Nourishing snack choices, including energy bars, fresh fruit, popcorn, nuts and smoothies.
- Select complimentary services, including shoe shines, manicures and relaxing chair massages — perfect for a busy day of travel.
In addition, based on your feedback, we will immediately upgrade the current complimentary vodka offered across all Clubs to Finlandia Vodka.

Test Locations:
- Atlanta A17 and Concourse F
- Detroit Central (across from A-38)
- LaGuardia Terminal D
- Los Angeles
- Seattle
- Miami, Indianapolis, Raleigh-Durham and Dallas-Fort Worth Clubs will participate in a smaller-scale program

To determine which products and services will roll out to clubs across the system, Delta will use a variety of survey and research tools including direct feedback from Sky Club customers gathered via comment cards, online surveys and in-Club interviews. The items that receive the most positive customer reviews will be included as part of a product investment upgrade in Clubs this summer.

We value your feedback as we work to improve your Club experience.

Thank you,
DLCorpGalFlyerTalkers –

As we continue to invest in the Delta Sky Clubs, we’re pleased to announce the launch of a new test program aimed at offering increased variety and quality in the complimentary food and beverage options within Clubs. We will begin by testing a new menu of food, beverages and complimentary services in 10 clubs across the country beginning in mid-February and running through late April.

Test products and services include:
- More food options, including pancakes and upgraded bagels for breakfast; sandwiches and hot soups mid-day; and hors d’oeuvres, antipasti and desert choices in the evening.
- Nourishing snack choices, including energy bars, fresh fruit, popcorn, nuts and smoothies.
- Select complimentary services, including shoe shines, manicures and relaxing chair massages — perfect for a busy day of travel.
In addition, based on your feedback, we will immediately upgrade the current complimentary vodka offered across all Clubs to Finlandia Vodka.

Test Locations:
- Atlanta A17 and Concourse F
- Detroit Central (across from A-38)
- LaGuardia Terminal D
- Los Angeles
- Seattle
- Miami, Indianapolis, Raleigh-Durham and Dallas-Fort Worth Clubs will participate in a smaller-scale program

To determine which products and services will roll out to clubs across the system, Delta will use a variety of survey and research tools including direct feedback from Sky Club customers gathered via comment cards, online surveys and in-Club interviews. The items that receive the most positive customer reviews will be included as part of a product investment upgrade in Clubs this summer.

We value your feedback as we work to improve your Club experience.

Thank you,
DLCorpGal
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Hope for the future?

This DL move is good for us. Put some pressure on UA to be competitive in the opposite direction for once.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by UpInTheAirFlyer
From Delta's discussion...
(Link to corresponding thread in the DL forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...amenities.html)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak
This DL move is good for us. Put some pressure on UA to be competitive in the opposite direction for once.
With these changes, both AA and DL will be offering real food while UA continues to offer cookies, carrots, crackers and cheese. This is going to make it that much eaiser to let my UC membership lapse at the end of March.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Has UA done anything recently in response to upgraded offerings from DL/AA? I'm not so sure we'll see any rays of light in 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.