Wiki Posts
Search

Makeshift plane window shade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:54 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

Not even 15 min ago I was walking around IAD's C Gates and made a comment to my travel buddy about how the marketing for UA's Explorer card is always obnoxiously pastured everywhere, well...

It looks like all of those ads can serve a good purpose from time to time...

https://twitter.com/ZachHonig/status/427369457875697664

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
but the real question is, will they work in the 787 windows?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by pixitha
but the real question is, will they work in the 787 windows?
Great minds must think alike. Having dealt with the 787 at 5pm on a TPAC, it's a must need solution.

What I can say is that it *WILL* work for the 787......... as long as one has a roll of duct tape with them. =)

Nevertheless, I now have an idea for a side business that can make a killing at LAX....
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even worse was the twitter interaction about this.

Also, I'm ~99.9% certain that was in BF, not economy.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
lol, talk about a canned response....
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
I've always wondered what tenuous thread of class endures that keeps UA from going the Alaska/US route of having FAs bother passengers about signing up for the card by giving the 5 minute spiel over the PA and begging up and down the aisle with applications during the last bit of the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, I'm ~99.9% certain that was in BF, not economy.
I don't think so. I think that little yellowish rectangle under the window denotes it's part of an exit row. Isn't that where you hook your hand when you're lifting out the window piece?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CMK10
I don't think so. I think that little yellowish rectangle under the window denotes it's part of an exit row. Isn't that where you hook your hand when you're lifting out the window piece?
Well, if he's really in ZRH then there is no UA-operated aircraft with a window exit flying there. Plus, I know the guy and helped upgrade this trip for him with a spare GPU.

May have been a positioning/connecting flight though.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, if he's really in ZRH then there is no UA-operated aircraft with a window exit flying there. Plus, I know the guy and helped upgrade this trip for him with a spare GPU.

May have been a positioning/connecting flight though.
So UA 937 to IAD which is a 767-300 no longer has window exits then?

Nor UA 993 to EWR, a similar 767-300?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by CMK10
An exit row would make sense in context, as the shades on those windows slide up from the bottom and have the annoying habit of perpetually falling down or of being stuck in the down (open) position to begin with. I'll have to remember this trick next time I'm stuck in one of them.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by ryman554
as long as one has a roll of duct tape with them. =)
The "new UA" has plenty of duct tape. What do you think keeps these birds in the air? I'm sure the Texas crew is buying duct tape in bulk to help in the $2B in savings. You can by a generic version of DUCK TAPE at the 99 cent store.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The response from UA gets even worse. Can't take a shot now, but if you click the link in the OP, you'll now see someone tell UA they need to work on their script replies, to which UA says, "Heard"
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:28 am

Don't know how to post a picture on ft, but I built a similar window shade on a transcon 737 when the shade was cracked in half on the morning flight. Guess ua was trying to save some of that $2b on my flight too
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Well, if they are using those as window shades then what are we doing to use as TP when the napkins run out?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Credit card flyers also perfect for blacking out the Idiot Flying Entertainment TV

Trim with TSA compliant scissors, stick with double sided tape.

^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.