Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

... I will not purchase a ticket on the "new UA" in 2014. I'll fly LAS-DEN via SLC on DL or just take WN. For those sticking with UA... Your welcome you can have my FC seat.

It is such a shame to see a great carrier turn into this. The new UA is Texas Int. or People Express. Someone from the former UA should have screamed "HOUSTON - WE HAVE A PROBLEM". I guess the folks in Houston got the message and bought a roll of duct tape at the 99 cent store to keep UA flying.

And I'll be one of those former UA flyers sticking around on the UA board, looking to see how travels on UA in 2014 continue to enhance travels on a "first class" carrier. I'll also look to see the next reports on UAL profits, compared to DAL, LUV, ALGT and Spirit.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...x#.UsaBNbTMsv0

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=U...rce=undefined;

I spent a few dollars on UA last year (like 4 flts a week in FC). This year the money will be going to other carriers. Again "enjoy the friendly skies". And keep my FC seat warm, as I might return, if UA returns to the airline it once was.

Moderator's Note:
The previous edition of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eaving-ua.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 17, 2014 at 2:50 pm Reason: Moved from thread on amenity tin
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
... I will not purchase a ticket on the "new UA" in 2014. I'll fly LAS-DEN via SLC on DL or just take WN. For those sticking with UA... Your welcome you can have my FC seat.

It is such a shame to see a great carrier turn into this. The new UA is Texas Int. or People Express. Someone from the former UA should have screamed "HOUSTON - WE HAVE A PROBLEM". I guess the folks in Houston got the message and bought a roll of duct tape at the 99 cent store to keep UA flying.

And I'll be one of those former UA flyers sticking around on the UA board, looking to see how travels on UA in 2014 continue to enhance travels on a "first class" carrier. I'll also look to see the next reports on UAL profits, compared to DAL, LUV, ALGT and Spirit.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...x#.UsaBNbTMsv0

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=U...rce=undefined;

I spent a few dollars on UA last year (like 4 flts a week in FC). This year the money will be going to other carriers. Again "enjoy the friendly skies". And keep my FC seat warm, as I might return, if UA returns to the airline it once was.
This is just another post long on hyperbole and short on details...

UA is what it is. It may improve in the areas that are important to you, or it may not.

Ranting about duct tape and the Hou Crew really adds nothing to the discussion.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
For the first time in over a decade, I will have no status on UA in 2014. I still have a balance of miles, and will keep my Chase United card until I burn through the miles (to keep the balance active.) I started out as a Premiere Executive for a few years and then was 1K for six years in a row.

1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO?

I used to like the route network, especially being able to fly IAD to FRA nonstop. I also used to fly BWI to LAX or SFO two to three times per month.

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?

The cuts in service from BWI - I live north of BWI so getting to IAD is a pain. BWI now is mostly stopovers coast-to-coase. I also am not fond of Business First. When I fly first, I am old-fashioned, and I want a real first class product. I also thought about dropping back to 1P but the spend on upgrades and the reduced mileage earn just made me decide not to do that.

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?

Nothing - I stopped revenue flying on UA in 2013.

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking?

I mostly fly WN now for domestic for convenience. If I have to have a stopover, the choice of airlines does not matter as much now. I fly LH for IAD to FRA when I need to. I also flew Condor BWI to FRA, but that was a seasonal run and is sort of the "Southwest of the Atlantic Route".

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

I have come to expect that I should not expect much in the way of benefits or improvements, but at least with WN when I fly for work it is business select. That basically means that I earn award travel faster (more points per booking.)

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?

I would like to have a real first product domestically, but after I arrive at my destination I quickly forget about that.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
For the first time in over a decade, I will have no status on UA in 2014.
How does that feel?

For many here, it seems like elite status is intertwined with their existence... Not exactly DYKWIA, but something which makes us feel more important or secure in our identity.

The rational part of your decision making process is sound.

How are you handling the irrational part?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
It's good they love what Jeff is doing at UA because Doug is going to do the same thing at AA.
Can you advise me of what the winning lottery numbers will be next week as well?

We already know what Smisek has done. I'll take an unknown quantity to a proven airline destroyer any day.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not so clear that will be the case - they know w/high labor costs they need to keep the revenue machine cranking. They're already upgrading US' catering standards to that of AA. That shows me they "get it" and aren't going to cut to the bone. We'll see.
Yep. Not too hard to figure out you can steal a lot of passengers from UA with little effort these days.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. You have no idea what he will do. But Parker is a lot smarter and has a much better track record than Smisek.
Yep.

1) What did you like most about fkaUA

Loyalty was acknowledged and rewarded. Now it is spit on.

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?

Non-existent domestic upgrades. Upgrade waitlists for international routes. Shrinking route structure. Regional jets. A mess of a boarding process. Lack of recognition of Million Miler status. Poor customer service. Poor meals. Less than reliable flight operations. SHARES. Gutting of Mileage Plus. Lack of saver reward space on international flights in F and C. Horrible United Clubs. Stupid name of "Business First".

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?

Nothing. I'm gone to the dAArk side.

4) What airlines are you considering switching to?

AA domestic. CX international. LH to Europe.

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

Domestic upgrades and lack of disdain for choosing that carrier.

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?

Starting with no status. Looking for Parker to announce a status match program for 1Ks in the new year.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
How does that feel?

For many here, it seems like elite status is intertwined with their existence... Not exactly DYKWIA, but something which makes us feel more important or secure in our identity.

The rational part of your decision making process is sound.

How are you handling the irrational part?
Well I used to feel like as a 1K I had "status"--I just felt like I was treated a little better than general pax without having to ask for anything. Pre and post-merger, I always had great upgrade rate (probably because not a lot of 1Ks and GS flying to/from BWI) as well. After the merger, it seemed to me that I just became another passenger as a 1K. I never asked for anything extra and I am not a complainer so switching to WN doesn't really seem like much of a change at all.

I always thought the big jump from 1P to 1K made 1K a little more exclusive but having four tiers just seems too much. Maybe they should have had 25K, 66K, and 100K goals for 2P, 1P, and 1K.

By the way my daughter loves the change because it means the family has flown nonstop BWI-MCO to go to Disney and Universal twice last year on WN on award tickets.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:32 pm

By the way my daughter loves the change because it means the family has flown nonstop BWI-MCO to go to Disney and Universal twice last year on WN on award tickets.
Those were some expensive 'Award' tickets!

Priceless, I am sure though.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
You are indeed observant, samurai.

There are also many here who think an airline has changed, when in fact they were naive.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
There are also many here who think an airline has changed, when in fact they were naive.
That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have read in some time.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
This is just another post long on hyperbole and short on details...
Details, where do I start. CO was a great airline when it was based at LAX and run by Robert F. Six. UA was a good, reliable airline until it was merged with CO. The Houston crew came along and now you have the "new UA".

UA - the only carrier charging for booze on overseas trips in Y. Devaluation of miles this year. Many FA's have an attitude and are lazy. Poor meals. Poor on-time performance. Planes not cleaned properly. Not enough mainline flts. Elimination of NRT-BKK. Stock under performing other USA carriers. Still running as two airlines. Crappy movie/music choices (when available). Chanel 9 not available or turned off. Some employees still wearing CO uniforms (mechanics I saw). Rude, unprofessional help when calling Res. Removal of Starbucks coffee. Broken cashews. Garbage lounges. International flts = service is the worst, compared to other US carriers and almost every foreign carrier.

My 6-8 domestic FC flts each week I took on UA in 2013 will be going to DL, AA or WN. My International travel will move to DL or Foreign carriers.

I will continue to read the posts on the UA forum as I still have miles to burn on UA. This company needs new leadership.

Many employees at UA are great people and do a fantastic job. Keep your chin up! Get rid of the bad apples (if the Union will allow it).

For those on the upgrade list - you can have my FC seat. Cheers!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: HH, UAMP
I dont get a lot of the whining. I just made 1K literally today, and have been Platinum for most of the year. I have found UAs service to be pretty darned good, particularly at the United Club service desks.

Recent customer service experiences include:
1. Being 1 hour late for flight because I slept through my alarm. I got rebooked and was given a 1st class upgrade at no charge. I got to my destination at the same time as my original scheduled flight.
2. Coming home my connection into IAH was late due to weather. I arrived in IAH 45 minutes late and there was no way I was getting home that night. I was booked into first class the next morning and I was still given a hotel voucher despite the delay being weather related.
3. Needed to escape a city prior to a huge storm coming in. I showed up at airport 3 days before my scheduled departure date. Explained the situation and I was rebooked on the next flight out of town with no change fees.

My experience has been good and status does count.

It seems to me everybody is just whining because they dont get as many free FC upgrades. If it happens, great. If it doesnt... Economy+ really isnt that bad.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bburrito
I dont get a lot of the whining. I just made 1K literally today, and have been Platinum for most of the year. I have found UAs service to be pretty darned good, particularly at the United Club service desks.

(snip)

It seems to me everybody is just whining because they dont get as many free FC upgrades. If it happens, great. If it doesnt... Economy+ really isnt that bad.
Um, no, it's a lot more than that. Did you just start flying UA in 2013? If so, that may explain your POV.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by Bonehead

I have to admit that I feel like a lesser elite now than I did in, say, 2008...
same here ^^^
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Every announcement recently from UA has been about ways the airline will cut back benefits/service or impose greater restrictions on customers, while other carriers are announcing new products they're excited about.

A business can choose to offer less and charge more, and likewise customers can choose with whom to do business.

As a business owner myself, I can't see what good could ever come from giving loyal clients the impression that their business wasn't valued - perceived or real - unless I was going under and making a last minute cash-out.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For the first time in over a decade, I will have no status on UA in 2014.
You and me both!

2004: 1K
2005: 1K
2006: 1P
2007-2008: 2P
2008-2010: 1P
2011: 2P
2012: 1P/Gold
2013: Silver

Flew 19 PQS last year, only 7 of which were on UA (thanks, US Airways!) and something like 10,900 PQM. Spent most of my travel on American and was much happier there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.