Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
No Saver Awards PHL-LAX for June, July.

I have been looking for a saver award PHL-LAX for June and July, and there is not one seat. I know the defenders of Smisek will say, "keep checking back", but I need to get my vacation dates in soon, and I am trying to connect to an international flight on OZ which will not wait months, so waiting for months for UA to open a seat in those two months is not an option. MP = A total waste; Smisek = (I cannot say in polite company). Thanks Jeff for more things " we are goign to love".
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
So you are trying to find on all one award PHL-LAX-ICN or two separate tickets?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I have been looking for a saver award PHL-LAX for June and July, and there is not one seat.
As a GM I see open space on July 4th from PHL to both/either ONT and SNA. It's not LAX, but it's close-ish. I assume you checked the nearby airport box.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
So you are trying to find on all one award PHL-LAX-ICN or two separate tickets?
It is one ticket PHL-LAX-ICN, so I cannot go into any nearby airports.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I have been looking for a saver award PHL-LAX for June and July, and there is not one seat. I know the defenders of Smisek will say, "keep checking back", but I need to get my vacation dates in soon, and I am trying to connect to an international flight on OZ which will not wait months, so waiting for months for UA to open a seat in those two months is not an option. MP = A total waste; Smisek = (I cannot say in polite company). Thanks Jeff for more things " we are goign to love".
I see plenty Saver Award Economy seats (6 flights on June 2nd and 4th) so not sure what the issue is. And there are tons of Standard Award Economy/First for both months
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Zfv is wide open. Book that and waitlist for PHL.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Folks - just enough have enough miles to book 2-3 roundtrip Biz to Europe. BUT, UA inventory doesn't show up for me...I'm flexible on the destination too...This is the cheaper redemption, right?

There IS biz inventory - but it's always partner airlines, TK / LH / AC. I'm a lowly Premier Silver. Any chance to get UA biz-class awards? Anyone has any sample dates/itins where it (UA Biz) might be available to Europe?

My home airport is SFO. TIA
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:25 am
Community Director Emerita

I was going to suggest that you start with the UA flight from SFO-FRA, then build off of it. I generally find inventory in F 330 days out. So I just played with the route. Coach was routinely available but neither biz or F. It's quite a change. I kept bringing the dates in closer and closer. I finally found 2 dates in January with availability: Jan 19 and Jan 21. And there's Nov 25, 2 days from now. Not good.

Still, use this technique to search UA's routes to Europe. Tick nonstop flights. Check all the routes they have. It doesn't take long to scroll thru availability month after month. Once you find something you want, your challenge is to get the connecting flight to the gateway. I've found UA frustrating in only releasing Y seats domestically. Within Europe, it will be much easier to find C seats. LH and partners are quite good about releasing them.

Good luck.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was going to suggest that you start with the UA flight from SFO-FRA, then build off of it. I generally find inventory in F 330 days out. So I just played with the route. Coach was routinely available but neither biz or F. It's quite a change. I kept bringing the dates in closer and closer. I finally found 2 dates in January with availability: Jan 19 and Jan 21. And there's Nov 25, 2 days from now. Not good.

Still, use this technique to search UA's routes to Europe. Tick nonstop flights. Check all the routes they have. It doesn't take long to scroll thru availability month after month. Once you find something you want, your challenge is to get the connecting flight to the gateway. I've found UA frustrating in only releasing Y seats domestically. Within Europe, it will be much easier to find C seats. LH and partners are quite good about releasing them.

Good luck.
In early Sept. I got 2 F award tics SFO-FRA for late July 15. However, I could not find any F award inventory on return about three weeks later, and am booked in award J on AC out of LHR. Hoping something in F opens.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was going to suggest that you start with ...
LH and partners are quite good about releasing them.

Good luck.
Thanks SanDiego1k for the tips. I need to first research all non-stop US-EU UA flights from all their hubs and then check the availability...quite painful. but no pains no gains! I'll try your recommendations.

Not too excited about this...it just means that 99% of the cases flying to Europe the lower award-rates (non-partner) are a farce...:-(
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gya007
Folks - just enough have enough miles to book 2-3 roundtrip Biz to Europe. BUT, UA inventory doesn't show up for me...I'm flexible on the destination too...This is the cheaper redemption, right?

There IS biz inventory - but it's always partner airlines, TK / LH / AC. I'm a lowly Premier Silver. Any chance to get UA biz-class awards? Anyone has any sample dates/itins where it (UA Biz) might be available to Europe?

My home airport is SFO. TIA
TK is far superior to UA. If you can score seats on the new SFO-IST nonstop, I would choose that.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
TK is far superior to UA. If you can score seats on the new SFO-IST nonstop, I would choose that.
Agreed - and since the biz differential isn't nearly as great as first (for UA to superior partner metal), it's a bit more tempting of an option.

TK is one of my personal faves...I actually like their looooong biz seats more than reverse herringbone. Even if not all-aisle access.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
TK is one of my personal faves...I actually like their looooong biz seats more than reverse herringbone. Even if not all-aisle access.
Yes a very well cushioned and comfortable seat. Only downside (apart from lack of 100% direct aisle access) is that the video screen is so far away!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 2.6 MM, 1K, HHonors Diamond
Question Scoring a saver award to Europe for Christmas

Interested in the experience of my fellow FTers out there. I am planning to fly to Europe for Christmas using miles, currently looking for a flight from SMF/SFO to CDG/AMS/BRU/FRA around 12/19. Of course there are no saver awards anywhere around those dates.

I have reserved a standard award to CDG but will keep watching and hope to switch to a saver award up to one day to departure (1K thus no change fee) hopefully to J. This strategy was particularly successful over the summer.

I wanted to get an idea of your experience with this approach in the past for end of the year travel. I know that flexibility is key and am ready to add driving or train segments if needed.

Thank you for your feedback.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I've been safe 3/3 so far in 2014 on switching to saver within 48 hours of departure so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.