Wiki Posts
Search

Vouchers in the PQD era

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Vouchers in the PQD era

You know it is a challenging week when you have 3 e-mails in a single week (and a single round trip) from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team. At issue is the choice...miles, a $250 voucher or a 10% voucher.

New to the calculus this year is the PQD chase. I can not find on United's available pubs any information as to how fares partially paid for with vouchers are treated IRT PQDs. Anyone know?

If no PDQs are given for the voucher portion, miles (used for upgrades or companion travel) may get the nod.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
CS vouchers reduce the fare, so you would not get PQD for that amount.

See also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Isn't it covered in the FAQ on .bomb? The voucher/credit is just a form of payment so you earn the full PQD shown before the voucher is applied.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../PQD-FAQs.aspx

Will I earn PQD if I purchase a ticket using a credit, such as an electronic travel certificate, as a form of payment? (Expanded)

Yes. When a ticket is purchased and a dollar-value credit is applied as a form of payment for some or all of the ticket value, the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharge amount quoted before applying the credit will count toward PQD for eligible flights.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JDS747
The voucher/credit is just a form of payment so you earn the full PQD shown before the voucher is applied.
CS vouchers are not credits.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
That's the heart of the question.... is a CS voucher a fare reduction or a credit. I asked MP twice and received directly conflicting answers....
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
CS vouchers are not credits.
Then will it fall under the question right under the original one I posted??

Will I earn PQD if I purchase a ticket using a promotional discount code (such a percent-off or dollar-off certificate or offer code)? (Expanded)

Yes. When a promotional discount (such as percent-off or dollar-off) is applied, it adjusts the base fare to reflect a new discounted price. This new base fare is displayed along with any carrier-imposed surcharges, and this discounted amount will count toward PQD on eligible flights.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
CS vouchers reduce the fare. As such, they almost certainly reduce PQDs.

Unfortunately, I've already gotten a couple this year and I haven't even flown yet. (Long stories, both from mishaps my wife experienced on a trip we were both supposed to fly.)

I'll use them, but it annoys me to think I'm cheating myself out of $200 PQDs each time.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by JDS747
Then will it fall under the question right under the original one I posted?
Yes.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Vouchers that get applied in the payment process at the purchase page count as any other payment and yield PQD credit. Those that are applied before you do a search in the offer code box reduce the base fare and thus reduce the PQD earned.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Vouchers that get applied in the payment process at the purchase page count as any other payment and yield PQD credit. Those that are applied before you do a search in the offer code box reduce the base fare and thus reduce the PQD earned.
^^^ And that's about a simple an explanation as you can get

And to add: TCVA good/016 bad

Last edited by goalie; Jan 15, 2014 at 8:28 pm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
TCVA good/016 bad
Assuming you care about PQD. Otherwise, the order is reversed.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Originally Posted by goalie
TCVA good/016 bad
Assuming you care about PQD. Otherwise, the order is reversed.
Why? A TCVA is still better as in addition to taking off from the base fare, it also takes off from the taxes & fees where an 016 only takes off from the base fare
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by cmculp
You know it is a challenging week when you have 3 e-mails in a single week (and a single round trip) from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team. At issue is the choice...miles, a $250 voucher or a 10% voucher.

New to the calculus this year is the PQD chase. I can not find on United's available pubs any information as to how fares partially paid for with vouchers are treated IRT PQDs. Anyone know?

If no PDQs are given for the voucher portion, miles (used for upgrades or companion travel) may get the nod.
IME, there are at least 2 types of vouchers. Those given at the gate by GAs for bumps and the like and those given through the united.com/appreciation.

The ones given at the gate are entered at the payment portion of the ticket purchasing process and would likely seem to count for PQD. The ones given electronically (after say a long delay) have to be entered before searching for airfare and reduce the airfare by the amount of the voucher. I reckon these don't count towards PQD.

But, of course with the new rules, and not having gotten or using a bump voucher in 8+ months, I'm not so confident in my answer. I am pretty certain that the united.com/appreciation vouchers/coupons won't count towards PQD.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Vouchers in the PQD era

I've had 2 TCVAs in a dollar value (which is applied as a form of payment) issued to me as service recovery customer compensation through united.com/appreciation, so I think these ones can count towards PQD as they are applied as a form of payment. IF, however, you get a % off certificate, then those reduce the base fare and thus would not count towards the PQD.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coutura
The ones given at the gate are entered at the payment portion of the ticket purchasing process and would likely seem to count for PQD. The ones given electronically (after say a long delay) have to be entered before searching for airfare and reduce the airfare by the amount of the voucher. I reckon these don't count towards PQD.

But, of course with the new rules, and not having gotten or using a bump voucher in 8+ months, I'm not so confident in my answer. I am pretty certain that the united.com/appreciation vouchers/coupons won't count towards PQD.
There you go, fixed it for you.

You don't have to guess at this. There have been dozens of posts in the last couple of days in this and another PQD thread that have laid this out - pdx1M's post above is probably the most clear/succinct description of how it works. Better yet - it is made fairly clear in the two FAQs on the UA site how this works. There's no need to be unconfident about this - simply read the material UA has put out and its not difficult to understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.