Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by GBadger
Where was this? I had a $500 bump at LAX and I'm wondering if the agents there are more generous than at other stations?
IAD.
I think the amount was directly related to the amount of people they were oversold by.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by channa
Yes, I've received this a few times as well. Most recently was this past Friday when they swapped SFO-ORD 777 2-cabin Hawaii to a 777 3-cabin International. That's a loss of about 80 seats. Got $300 to move to a different flight.

This advance VDB by phone is a win-win, really. Although the comp may be a bit lower, the pax gets a bird in the hand, and you can work with them to get something that suits you that may not have been available through traditional VDBing (e.g., you can leave earlier, which is not possible on an airport VDB) or take something that may be convenient from home, but a hassle if you're already at the airport (e.g., different departure airport, leaving substantially later, or leaving tomorrow instead).
80ppl is a big OS. Not surprised they would email about that one. I know that $300 is the comp for aircraft downsizing, as airlines have a different set of rules to adhere to when this happens (and likewise for aircraft weight restriction issues). $300 was a good comp for that situation in my opinion, and I would have taken it without a second thought.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by rankourabu
IAD.
I think the amount was directly related to the amount of people they were oversold by.
Agreed here... the only times I got paid off nicely like this were when they were IDB'ing people as well.... related to this point, I miss the pre-merger UA days where it was always a $400 voucher to bump off.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I have never received an email offer before OLCI, even when a couple flights I was on were badly oversold.... how does this work? Did this happen to you on days where there was an AC downsizing?
The first of the three there was downgauge from the 777 Hawaii configuration to the 3-class 777, as channa experienced. The others were just oversells from the Spring Break crowd.

I prefer these email offers, although they are probably lower than they would offer at the airport, you don't have to pack up and head to the airport and hang around for a few hours to go back home again.

I also picked more favorable flights to me. On all of them, I was upgraded with CPU after I was rebooked.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Pat89339
The others were just oversells from the Spring Break crowd.
Are you sure?

Unless something major happens, that's usually not enough to trigger the email, since it has to be over by a lot.

I had one in spring break which was a 753 swap to a 752 BF.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
IAD.
I took $600 at IAD recently and heard another flight was offering $500 (since of course you can hear 10 flights at once in the A gates). I had personally never seen anything higher than $500 for a domestic flight and that was only once before. Maybe they are making an effort to IDB less? They still had to IDB 2 individuals off the flight so they were pretty desperate.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pingtung
I took $600 at IAD recently and heard another flight was offering $500 (since of course you can hear 10 flights at once in the A gates). I had personally never seen anything higher than $500 for a domestic flight and that was only once before. Maybe they are making an effort to IDB less? They still had to IDB 2 individuals off the flight so they were pretty desperate.
This was an international flight.

I saw the two IDBs at the hotel later, and they chose to take the cash - and it was nowhere near $500 they said. I wonder how thats possible at 400% of one-way fare, or if UA pulled a fast one on them.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw the two IDBs at the hotel later, and they chose to take the cash - and it was nowhere near $500 they said. I wonder how thats possible at 400% of one-way fare, or if UA pulled a fast one on them.

If it's IAD-YYZ (assuming based on your location), the lowest fare in that market is $72 all in, or $56 one way, so 400% would be just $224.

If it was a connecting flight, it could be worse. PQDs gives you an idea how it's split up, but it could be even much worse since IAD-YYZ is so short. FLL-YYZ has a base fare of $106. With an IAD connection, IAD-YYZ pro-rates down to $29.35 using a rough distance calculation. 4x that would be just $117.

btw, as an aside, if you did not volunteer to take a flight the next day, you were still also an IDB even if you elected to take the voucher compensation offered in lieu of the cash.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's IAD-YYZ (assuming based on your location), the lowest fare in that market is $72 all in, or $56 one way, so 400% would be just $224.

If it was a connecting flight, it could be worse. PQDs gives you an idea how it's split up, but it could be even much worse since IAD-YYZ is so short. FLL-YYZ has a base fare of $106. With an IAD connection, IAD-YYZ pro-rates down to $29.35 using a rough distance calculation. 4x that would be just $117.

btw, as an aside, if you did not volunteer to take a flight the next day, you were still also an IDB even if you elected to take the voucher compensation offered in lieu of the cash.

I was rebooked the same day, however on the rebooked flight I was IDB'ed but they claimed weight (even though the gate agent initially said two broken seats, but backtracked later *shock*) on the DH2 and gave me the max of $150

wow, that is really bad for IDB, so its based on lowest fare in market? Not the fare one paid?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was rebooked the same day, however on the rebooked flight I was IDB'ed but they claimed weight (even though the gate agent initially said two broken seats, but backtracked later *shock*) on the DH2 and gave me the max of $150

wow, that is really bad for IDB, so its based on lowest fare in market? Not the fare one paid?
It's what you paid, but shows how little IDB can be if you're on a low fare (or an award ticket, which gets treated as lowest fare).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F

I don't think it is split by distance. I believe it is divided by full fare in each market. In your example, if the full fare for IAD-YYZ is 800 and it is1200 for FLL-IAD, then IAD-YYZ gets 800/(800+1200)=40% share of the FLL-YYZ base fare.

Last edited by cloudybw; Apr 22, 2014 at 3:45 pm
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by cloudybw
I don't think it is split by distance. I believe it is divided by full fare in each market. In your example, if the full fare for IAD-YYZ is 800 and it is1200 for FLL-IAD, then IAD-YYZ gets 800/(800+1200)=40% share of the FLL-YYZ base fare.
Just curious... is IDB decided based on check-in order? Or is it decided based on fare class? I remember an instance probably 5 years ago at IAD while waiting in the A terminal for my puddle hopper to STL, and the flight next door was oversold by 4. The GA told everyone that if they did not get volunteers, they would select the IDB's based on who paid the lowest fare for the flight..... remember this very clearly.... but many things change in 5 years. Does anyone know?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just curious... is IDB decided based on check-in order? Or is it decided based on fare class? I remember an instance probably 5 years ago at IAD while waiting in the A terminal for my puddle hopper to STL, and the flight next door was oversold by 4. The GA told everyone that if they did not get volunteers, they would select the IDB's based on who paid the lowest fare for the flight..... remember this very clearly.... but many things change in 5 years. Does anyone know?
I was IDB'ed on a Y fare, apparently because I checked in last.
Now this was because the GA was new at the job, and went by what the computer told him to do.
The manager after told him never to bump
a) people with connections, especially international
b) 1Ks!

I doubt fare paid has anything to do with this.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:04 am

I was IDB'ed on a Y fare, apparently because I checked in last.
Now this was because the GA was new at the job, and went by what the computer told him to do.
The manager after told him never to bump
a) people with connections, especially international
b) 1Ks!

I doubt fare paid has anything to do with this.
If they IDB's you on a Y fare... probably pretty pricey... how did they compensate that? Just curious.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they IDB's you on a Y fare... probably pretty pricey... how did they compensate that? Just curious.
Didn't have to. Weight restrictions. $150 max + accommodation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.