Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No PQD on a bulk ticket!!! Amex tickets {resolved}, other bulk fares what do I earn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No PQD on a bulk ticket!!! Amex tickets {resolved}, other bulk fares what do I earn?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
Has the OP contacted Aaron (UA Insider) regarding the matter yet?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TT-Jones
Has the OP contacted Aaron (UA Insider) regarding the matter yet?
Lots of requests for further clarification in the main PQD thread so far...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat
I am in the exact same situation as OP. This past weekend I completed my first flights of the year, DEN-EWR-MUC-RUH and back. Only the MUC-RUH was on *A partner (LH), the rest on UA metal. Ticket was issued on 016 stock, was purchased by my company's travel agent and cost $1700. PQM and PQS posted immediately, but PQD still at $0. Called UA, got the same bulk-ticket answer and that no PQD would be awarded. In 2013 I had 153K PQM and a spend of about $21K. It looks as if I will have no status with UA in 2015 if I repeat my same business. Considering my options currently, so very interested in hearing the response OP gets from UA. How could I possibly stay with them if they wont give any status to a 150K flyer?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Seems odd. Domestic A earns 175% RDM and 150% PQM -- the OP said that he received 150%. Did you receive 175% redeemable? And were the fare conditions fairly flexible like a typical A?

Of course it's normal to get corporate discounts with travel agents, but in my past experience with AMEX travel these tickets still earned all of the associated benefits (of course this was before the days of PQD) -- is it typical for AMEX travel and/or the company to negotiate a bulk package with mix-and-match benefits?

Like others, I always assumed (although the language regulating PQD is not identical to that regulating PQM*) that the spirit of PQD was that any UA flight earning PQM would also earn PQD. Let's hope that this proves to be a glitch, and not a major hidden loophole that UA has created to deny some its best customers status. Or they have come up with an ingenious solution to the OPM problem.

*On the web site, the section under "Earning Premier qualifying dollars" states, "Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator, group/tour and opaque fares, do not earn PQD." But then the link "See exclusions below for details" links to the section entitled, "Exclusions to earning award miles and Premier qualifying credits"; this implies some coherence between PQM and PQD rules.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by frazh
I am in the exact same situation as OP. This past weekend I completed my first flights of the year, DEN-EWR-MUC-RUH and back. Only the MUC-RUH was on *A partner (LH), the rest on UA metal. Ticket was issued on 016 stock, was purchased by my company's travel agent and cost $1700. PQM and PQS posted immediately, but PQD still at $0. Called UA, got the same bulk-ticket answer and that no PQD would be awarded. In 2013 I had 153K PQM and a spend of about $21K. It looks as if I will have no status with UA in 2015 if I repeat my same business. Considering my options currently, so very interested in hearing the response OP gets from UA. How could I possibly stay with them if they wont give any status to a 150K flyer?
I hear ya but I believe part of the problem is not all Bulk fares are created equal. So how does UA (or DL) make it so it knows which bulk was via say a Consolidator and really diry cheap and which via say Amex and with not such an Elcheapo discount but a discount nontheless

It seems for now they have no way to know it was an Amex tkt and not a Priceline opaque tkt as they are all considered Bulk and dont earn any QDs. Or Orbitz where it can be a multi-carrier tkt and possibly Bulk as well

Not sure Tier pts would work if Bulk fares wont be earning any and if they will how does UA exclude the likes of Pricelines tkts?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hillta1
I have been a loyal United customer for years and I have rarely complained about the many devlutions over the years. But today I have hit the boiling point.
Where are you headed — DL? AA/US? The cheapest carrier for each individual flight you take?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:23 am

I'm not sure this is a "glitch" that will be corrected going forward. And I expect we'll be hearing from other corporate flyers experiencing the same "glitch" in the next few days and weeks.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Where are you headed — DL? AA/US? The cheapest carrier for each individual flight you take?
The problem is miles on airlines have become the modern equivalent of "S&H Green Stamps" that by the 80's had lost all of their value. When coupled with declining service for elites during IROPs and the shifts in the upgrade priorities, I think it more effective to select the most convenient carrier rather than stay with UAL irregardless of the fare basis.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mecabq
Like others, I always assumed (although the language regulating PQD is not identical to that regulating PQM*) that the spirit of PQD was that any UA flight earning PQM would also earn PQD. Let's hope that this proves to be a glitch, and not a major hidden loophole that UA has created to deny some its best customers status. Or they have come up with an ingenious solution to the OPM problem.
I guess they are serious about shrinking the number of customers with status.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Interesting problem with this new PQD scheme.

How is UA going to grant pax proper credit toward status for the dollars spent without revealing the "wholesale price" paid by the companies selling the "BULK" tickets?

Or will they just make something up?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Interesting reports...and very ominous for the corporate traveler. So much for "if on UA metal, no need to worry" reassurances. Same with 016 ticket stock. There was reason to worry after all.

I would think UA would want to get ahead of this VERY quickly before all hell breaks loose in the lucrative business travel market.

This is not going to be about losing the mythical legions of 1Ks spending sub $3,000 for status. This hits at the heart of their corporate travelers...managed travelers...whatever they term it at UA.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Sweet... looks like my upgrade chances in 2015 just keep getting better all the time!

This is a odd situation for sure, as previously stated on a bulk fare what is United going to credit you for PQD? Amex would need to share what you actually paid, which who knows if they do or want to? Certainly you dont want what Amex paid, and clearly they are not going to reveal that.

Perhaps on these sorts of tickets they could grant the lowest paid fare in the same fare class on that flight (of non bulk tickets). Its not ideal but probably better than nothing. I would probably be raising hell with corporate travel about changing the system to non bulk tickets as the savings is clearly not that substantial for you (this may be what United is hoping for anyway).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's beef is with his employer and his employer's business decisions in how it chooses to purchase air travel. TA's simply issue what the employer tells them to issue and this leads to a fundamental misconception on FT. The primary customer here is the employer. OP is to be kept happy only as an ancillary activity.

Depending on the specific deal worked out by OP's employer, UA may not even know what was paid for the ticket. The TA could buy in bulk and market to five large customers. The TA charges what the market will bear. All UA knows is that it sold at wholesale.

OP is free to jump ship, but he should keep his powder dry for the next 12-18 months. Both DL and AA sell bulk tickets under the same circumstances for corporate use. There's no real question which way this whole thing is headed.

Ultimately, "status" is likely more useful for people who are spend a good deal, but are short of real HVC. If you really do travel in paid F (as opposed to fare buckets which get you a FC seat), your tickets are refundable/changeable, you get taken care of in IRROPS to the extent possible and it's more than likely that you are less concerned than others about who pays for your hotel when you get stuck overnight.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Often1
OP's beef is with his employer and his employer's business decisions in how it chooses to purchase air travel. TA's simply issue what the employer tells them to issue and this leads to a fundamental misconception on FT. The primary customer here is the employer. OP is to be kept happy only as an ancillary activity.

Depending on the specific deal worked out by OP's employer, UA may not even know what was paid for the ticket. The TA could buy in bulk and market to five large customers. The TA charges what the market will bear. All UA knows is that it sold at wholesale.

OP is free to jump ship, but he should keep his powder dry for the next 12-18 months. Both DL and AA sell bulk tickets under the same circumstances for corporate use. There's no real question which way this whole thing is headed.

Ultimately, "status" is likely more useful for people who are spend a good deal, but are short of real HVC. If you really do travel in paid F (as opposed to fare buckets which get you a FC seat), your tickets are refundable/changeable, you get taken care of in IRROPS to the extent possible and it's more than likely that you are less concerned than others about who pays for your hotel when you get stuck overnight.
Since OP's employer is using a very big travel provider and not some mom and pop operation, I doubt that this situation is confined to OP's company. Both UA and the large travel agencies are going to have to work this out or both risk losing a lot of business.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

How is UA going to grant pax proper credit toward status for the dollars spent without revealing the "wholesale price" paid by the companies selling the "BULK" tickets?
Yes, I think this is the underlying problem. One solution would be to simply post the "retail" value of the fare class as the PDQ.

I have a feeling that this will be fixed in the near future, as there are too many high value flyers using travel agents for United to ignore.

I hope that each person who experiences this will individually contact 1k Voice (or equivalent) and make them acutely aware of this glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.