Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wait for Aegean to open award seats & risk losing rest of itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I have been trying to score the following itinerary in Sept-Oct 2014:

EWR -> JTR (Santorini)
ATH -> LIS
LIS -> EWR

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get EWR -> JTR because (I think) Aegean won't be releasing those award seats until March. (Is this a correct assumption?)

Looking for advice from the experts - which of the following do you think is the wise option:
  1. Book the itinerary now, replacing JTH with ATH. Book ATH->JTR separately or pay the change fee later to adjust.
  2. Wait and book the itinerary in March when the Aegean seats open up.

Obviously I'm worried that if I wait, I'll lose the seats that are available now on my other legs (Lufthansa, TAP Portugal).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited by cyrisb; Jan 12, 2014 at 6:14 pm Reason: wrong santorini airport code
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA, AS
You could book one-way now and the other when it opens up so long as you don't need a stopover.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You could book one-way now and the other when it opens up so long as you don't need a stopover.
Thanks - unfortunately I do need the stopover in LIS.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:49 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Keep in mind (or be aware!) that award prices are going up on Feb. 1. Check how much your award will cost today vs. in March. If you're booking economy, it may not change. If you're booking a business class award, I would absolutely book now and get a separate ATH-JTR later -- it will be cheaper.

Last edited by QBK; Jan 12, 2014 at 7:30 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QBK
Keep in mind (or be aware!) that award prices are going up on Feb. 1. Check how much your award will cost today vs. in March. If you're booking economy, it may not change. If you're booking a business class award, I would absolutely book now and get a separate ATH-JTH later -- it will be cheaper.
Thanks for the tip! I'm all economy on this trip so rates shouldn't be changing. I'm more concerned above losing out on the Saver Award prices if I wait too long - or losing out on Economy awards entirely.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you can't confirm seats to JTR, I'd plan to confirm seats to ATH and plan to buy ATH-JTR separately if it isn't currently available as an award seat.

Buy in advance — my sense is that Aegean prices very cheap far out, and very expensive close to departure (at least for LON-ATH and LON-JTR).

EDIT TO ADD: Per BostonFlyer1624's notes, there is plenty of *A award space on the ATH-JTR nonstops; it's just not shown online on united.com for some reason. Call it in.

Last edited by mherdeg; Jan 13, 2014 at 7:03 am
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I just booked BOS-ATH, stopover, then ATH-JTR.

You have to call in...for some reasons, flights on A3 to JTR do not show up online.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I just booked BOS-ATH, stopover, then ATH-JTR.

You have to call in...for some reasons, flights on A3 to JTR do not show up online.
Thanks - but when are your flights? It's my understanding that A3 doesn't release award seats until about 180 days out.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
A3 does release seats well before 180 days. Searchable with the NH tool.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:35 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mherdeg
If you can't confirm seats to JTR, I'd plan to confirm seats to ATH and plan to buy ATH-JTR separately if it isn't currently available as an award seat.

Buy in advance — my sense is that Aegean prices very cheap far out, and very expensive close to departure (at least for LON-ATH and LON-JTR).
+1. Do this!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: One alternative is to look at reward seats into Heraklion or Mykonos, as both have fast and frequent connections to JTR by ferry. If you go this route, spend a night or two in Crete or Mykonos, as they are worth a visit and a nice contrast to Thira.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by cyrisb
Thanks - but when are your flights? It's my understanding that A3 doesn't release award seats until about 180 days out.
I booked for August 2014 - over 200+ days out
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
This seems to be the right answer. I see inventory on A3 nonstops on ATH-JTR for 2 passengers on the following days using the ANA search engine:

September 2014
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12… (I stopped hitting the "next day" button but assume inventory keeps going each day).

These flights should be bookable by phone only; call it in.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
I had the same issue and ended up buying first to ATH and when JTR opened I called in to add the change. Either way the flight ATH-JTR is approximately $100 RT.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:27 pm

I am in this same boat.

Looking for SFO-JTR April 7th. 2015

I keep seeing the award seats disappear to ATH but Aegean only just started selling the ATH-JTR legs on their web site yesterday and United still shows no Aegean flights beyond 3/31/15

Any idea when United will load up the flights so I can see if there is any award avalibility. I lost my ANA pin so I can't check if they have been loaded there.

Also any suggestions on a good stop over city. Looks like the SFO-FRA-ATH would be ideal but of course the saver awards all disappeared while i've been waiting for JTR. Id also consider going into Crete but not sure that makes it any easier.

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by MacKenzieIII
I am in this same boat.

Looking for SFO-JTR April 7th. 2015

I keep seeing the award seats disappear to ATH but Aegean only just started selling the ATH-JTR legs on their web site yesterday and United still shows no Aegean flights beyond 3/31/15

Any idea when United will load up the flights so I can see if there is any award avalibility. I lost my ANA pin so I can't check if they have been loaded there.

Also any suggestions on a good stop over city. Looks like the SFO-FRA-ATH would be ideal but of course the saver awards all disappeared while i've been waiting for JTR. Id also consider going into Crete but not sure that makes it any easier.

Thanks!
Maybe too late now, but you should have made the saver award to ATH, you can alway change the final destination to JTR. depending on your Premier level, it will cost from nothing to $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.