Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread to follow reports of MP accounts that actually have been hacked / improperly accessed. If you have missing miles and beleive you have been hacked, contact [email protected]

In Suspended MP Accounts / Third Party Vendor "Security Breach?" - Dec 2014 there is discussion of a security breach of a 3rd party that UA seems to believe may lead to inappropriate access to UA accounts via the username method of logging into united.com. Let's follow the breach and log-in changes in the above thread.

A separate(?) "access denied" issue is covered in Consolidated " Is united.com or parts of it Down?" thread
Print Wikipost

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
My Mileageplus account was hacked, has anyone heard of this happening?

A couple of days ago my two mileage gift cards for 16,500 miles each were deducted from my account. I actually never heard of such a gift card before but knew this was not generated by me. The woman at mileageplus was nice explained that someone signed onto my account with my pin and had these issued. She said security would be alerted and the miles would be placed. I also had to change my pin. I asked if United security would contact me to tell me about who did this. She said probably not because this was a minor incident. I was a little annoyed that nobody is really going to track this down, but in realized it is not cost effective to make this into a major investigation. I would think United could void the ticket related to this, by the mileageplus rep did not know.

The only public computer I have used when entering my account number and pin was in a hotel to print out a boarding pass.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 18, 2014 at 5:18 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That's terrible. Glad the resolution was easy, though I too would like to know who did it (especially if it someone you know!).
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by JB123
A couple of days ago my two mileage gift cards for 16,500 miles each were deducted from my account. I actually never heard of such a gift card before but knew this was not generated by me. The woman at mileageplus was nice explained that someone signed onto my account with my pin and had these issued. She said security would be alerted and the miles would be placed. I also had to change my pin. I asked if United security would contact me to tell me about who did this. She said probably not because this was a minor incident. I was a little annoyed that nobody is really going to track this down, but in realized it is not cost effective to make this into a major investigation. I would think United could void the ticket related to this, by the mileageplus rep did not know.

The only public computer I have used when entering my account number and pin was in a hotel to print out a boarding pass.

Has anyone heard of this happening?
Thats tough, glad teh woman you spoke with was pretty well informed and was able to handle the issues.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...The only public computer I have used when entering my account number and pin was in a hotel to print out a boarding pass....
You only need to enter your account number or record locator (on the home page) to check in/print out a boarding pass...
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Glad it got resolved quickly.

I heard on the radio this week about some government report warning hotels how those lobby computers are extremely likely to have viruses and are utilized to steal personal information...scary stuff.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by Bonehead
You only need to enter your account number or record locator (on the home page) to check in/print out a boarding pass...
Correct. I never log into my MP account when printing a boarding pass from a hotel business computer. Just last name and record locator are all that is needed.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
I have an update

I spoke to a very nice woman at United security. They were able to deactivate the gift cards before the person could use the miles. The person changed my e-mail address to be one letter different (on yahoo) and have have the gift cards e-mailed to that address. Yesterday when I changed the pin it was sent to the bad guy's e-mail address. I had no idea. United security froze my account. The woman walked me through changing things in my profile to help protect me.

She said that there has been a rash of this happening due to people using wifi in hotels. I do that all the time. She said hotel wifi is not secure and even the wifi in the United Club is not secure. She suggested to never log onto United.com or a bank's website via hotel or United Club wifi. If you need to do this shut off wifi and use cellular data which is secure. I am shocked because I use wifi in a hotel room more than 50 days a year. I pay my credit card, transfer money, etc. I really never knew this. She said this has been happening a lot lately.

I give United Security an A.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
... If you need to do this shut off wifi and use cellular data which is secure. I am shocked because I use wifi in a hotel room more than 50 days a year. I pay my credit card, transfer money, etc. I really never knew this. She said this has been happening a lot lately....
I don't do financial transactions on hotel WiFi, but certainly do use airline sites. Hmmmm. I think I'll start connecting via my phone's hotspot for any sensitive logins.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... She said that there has been a rash of this happening due to people using wifi in hotels. I do that all the time. She said hotel wifi is not secure and even the wifi in the United Club is not secure. .....
very correct --- public wifi is very public unless using VPN. HTTPS is a little help.

....I give United Security an A.
except a 4 number pin is F-.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
very correct --- public wifi is very public unless using VPN. HTTPS is a little help.
I always thought as long as I see https, then it is secured transmission? (unless of course the device is rigged to register key strokes - that is when the security questions would help).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
except a 4 number pin is F-.
Why would people still use PIN when there is an option to use Userid and password? I cannot remember the FFP numbers so I always use Userid and password instead. I think BA has done away with FFP number and PIN and requires userid and password log in since long time ago. DL might also be in the same situation.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
I always thought as long as I see https, then it is secured transmission? (unless of course the device is rigged to register key strokes - that is when the security questions would help). ...
I googled "Is HTTPS secure" and randomly picked http://www.sott.net/article/275524-W...e-as-you-think -- HTTPS is better than open transmission but it can be hacked.
Originally Posted by Happy
... Why would people still use PIN when there is an option to use Userid and password? .....
regardless of what you use the PIN option is still there in your MP account and a bruteforce attack is always a risk.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

I give United Security an A.
Security is a D- ... even UA agents are asking for PINs for simple transactions. Sounds like UA resolves these issues though and that is A+.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by cfischer
Security is a D- ... even UA agents are asking for PINs for simple transactions. Sounds like UA resolves these issues though and that is A+.
Four digit pin #'s are a joke.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kettle1
pin #'s
Those are Personal Identification Number Numbers, right? And I'm guessing you also use ATM machines?

If you need to do this shut off wifi and use cellular data which is secure.
Cellular data is no more secure than wi-fi.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Those are Personal Identification Number Numbers, right? And I'm guessing you also use ATM machines?
No, I do not use ATM's and when putting in a password it should look something like this: 9#kettle69.

At UA it is 1234

(I just gave up my password).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.