Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 "Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes (and What to Do After One)"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 "Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes (and What to Do After One)"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:04 pm

The following is open in economy saver:

SFO-YVR AC1843 01JAN 600A-820A
YVR-ICN AC63 01JAN 1140A-415P+1
ICN-BKK TG657 02JAN 925P-120A+1
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:54 pm

Star Alliance Partner Award - Schedule Change; Advice

Guys,
I booked a *A award ticket on UA about 6 months ago for peak Dec travel.

HKG - BKK - AKL - NAN (at that time award mileage was 25K for C Class). Now I believe the same award is a different level - 30K. All along, I was not planning to take the AKL-NAN portion. I just booked this award to save 5K miles.

I got a schedule change email from UA. They left me on the original HKG - BKK - AKL portions, which was great. But now they booked me in the AKL-NAN portion that departs AKL before the flight from BKK lands AKL. Instead of putting it the next day, they put me earlier. For example my flight from BKK-AKL lands at 12:05PM, however my AKL-NAN portion is now showing a departure time of 9:30 AM same day. Clearly this won't work for a normal person. But for me, its OK, because I plan to truncate the trip in AKL.

The downside is that there are no seats available on the next day on the 9:30AM flight or any flight for that matter - from AKL-NAN.

Should I just wing it and let it go? Or should I call UA? If I call them, I am afraid they may void the whole ticket or have to reissue the whole thing and what if I lose it? Once the C tickets go back into the system, I doubt whether it would be available.

Sorry for the confusing request. But need some help!!

Thanks
UALFLYER1
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You shouldn't have a problem calling them and asking them to drop the segment - as an award ticket they shouldn't reprice it - you aren't adding flights you're simply removing them - you can simply blame the schedule change and say that the new set of flights doesn't work and so you've opted to just terminate at AKL instead of changing around everything to get to NAN

Fees should be waived even if you have no status due to the schedule change
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:39 pm

Thanks

Even if the type of award is different because NAN vs AKL they are different? I thought because the award types are different, they have to add miles hence have to rebook? Am I wrong?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UALFLYER1
Even if the type of award is different because NAN vs AKL they are different?
Yes.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
You shouldn't have a problem calling them and asking them to drop the segment - as an award ticket they shouldn't reprice it - you aren't adding flights you're simply removing them - you can simply blame the schedule change and say that the new set of flights doesn't work and so you've opted to just terminate at AKL instead of changing around everything to get to NAN

Fees should be waived even if you have no status due to the schedule change
exactly -- or just tell them you need to buy that AKL-NAN segment on Fiji Air if they question it. It's not your fault there's a sched change. What is you were really going to Fiji?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
originally booked PHX-LAX-SMF on award tickets for 2 pax (separate PNRs) in mid January, departing 6am and arriving 9am.

reservations page now shows PHX-LAX as the itinerary on the "manage reservations" page, but we have been rebooked on PHX-SFO-SMF, departing 8am arriving 11:30am. seems like the 6am PHX-LAX has gone bye-bye at least for January

no schedule change notification when opening the reservation it was auto accepted. at least they managed to get us both on the same flight despite the separate PNRs.

of course, no email notification of changes either.

hopefully WN comes down in price and we can just pay to fly them direct...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Advice needed - outbound flight changed

I had a saver award flight in E scheduled on 9/24 from IAH -> CKG, landing at around 11AM (Booked with UA miles, flight was on Air China)

From there, I planned to drop my stuff off at a friend's place and catch a 9:30PM flight from CKG -> KWL with West Air (round trip).

United called yesterday and said that my flight to CKG was cancelled by Air China, and they re-booked me onto a flight through IAD.

Two things:
1. Original flight was IAH -> PEK, 14 hours. Now it's almost 22 hours of travel time. Even if I check revenue flights I don't find any better options
2. I will land in CKG at 7PM. That doesn't give me much time to get my luggage and back into the airport to catch my 9:30 flight. (Obviously not dropping off at a friends place) Is this enough buffer?
3. Is there a way for my to check my bags all the way to KWL? That would lessen my transit time

I checked Kayak and United, and none present any attractive options anymore. Is there something I'm not thinking of?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Is West Air even a United interline partner?

If not, even with a nice agent, they won't check the bags all the way through.

Maybe keep looking for other flights out of EWR/ORD/SFO - and have your flight go through those hubs. That won't be shown normally on Kayak or other OTAs.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Never been so happy for UA to cancel my flight (4 months from now)

Able to re-route from LGA-IAH-PDX (originally chosen for cheap price & lots of miles; 2nd leg just removed from schedule yesterday on a typical Saturday bloodbath) to JFK-SFO-PDX (which I would have originally chosen had it been cheaper & there been R space at booking).

R4 on both legs, agent cleared on the spot. Had fed her my desired itinerary too and she rolled with it ^
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:02 am

I have a cash booking for YYT-EWR-HNL with all segments in business (P). Equipment change has downgraded YYT-EWR to single-cabin. Which of the following options might be reasonable to expect when I call in?

1) Refund of entire ticket
2) Refund of fare difference from business to economy for downgraded segments
3) Reroute YYT-EWR on Air Canada in business

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gateguard0
2) Refund of fare difference from business to economy for downgraded segments
This is probably not meaningful, because you're likely on a through-fare.

If you push, you can probably get a refund and start over. If the operating carrier changed, you should be able to.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think most of us would fuss about this.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
If you push, you can probably get a refund and start over. If the operating carrier changed, you should be able to.
If it went single-cabin, the operating carrier definitely changed.

But also the poster has a cabin class downgrade, so that's also grounds for a refund.

There should be no resistance on refunding this one. They bought a Business Class ticket, and UA no longer serves the market with Business Class seats.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by channa
If it went single-cabin, the operating carrier definitely changed.

But also the poster has a cabin class downgrade, so that's also grounds for a refund.

There should be no resistance on refunding this one. They bought a Business Class ticket, and UA no longer serves the market with Business Class seats.
But why? There's still no better front cabin option for getting to HNL.

Demanding refund is cutting off nose to spite face.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Kacee
But why? There's still no better front cabin option for getting to HNL.

Demanding refund is cutting off nose to spite face.

That's only if the poster wants the refund. Perhaps fares went down and they can re-buy. Perhaps travel plans changed, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.